Full Time - No House - Second Guessing

MTPockets

June & I made a very conscience decision in 2011 to buy the Big Horn, sell out, and travel as long as we could. The "plan" discussion was to stop traveling when no longer able, buy a house and settle down. Our first foray was the trip to Alaska in 2011 in a 26ft Class C, and on our way home to Florida we ordered the Big Horn.. It was a good decision, but are now second guessing the wisdom in selling the house. On January 19th June fell and injured her spine, paralyzing her from the neck down. She had surgery on Jan 25th and stayed in the hospital rehab unit until March 24th. During her hospital stay she slowly regained some feeling, regained strength and use of her arms, but could not stand and has trouble using her hands. Since she could not get back into the Big Horn, we have rented an apartment in Tucson, AZ for continuing physical therapy and rehab. Gains are being made with her strength and we hold out hope for getting back on the road some day, but timing is uncertain.

For those whose plans include selling the house, like we did, consider what you may do in a case like ours. June's accident occurred in Arizona while family is in Indiana. We had no place to go. Finding an acceptable apartment with wheelchair access was grueling. Who will help while I do errands for supplies? Care is pretty much full time. Meals, laundry, dressing, bathing, toiletting, housekeeping, etc. Cost for assistance, are you prepared? What do you do with the trailer? Furniture for the apartment. Can you find a furnished place? Can you afford it?

We have been fortunate that these things are under control for us, but wanted to share with others full timing or considering same. June was line dancing a few hours before her fall and it was the last thing on our minds that in an instant our travels would be placed on hold. If you've been in this place before, you can understand, if not, give it some thought and be sure you're set for the unplanned surprises life presents.

In in the meantime, don't stall your plans, as you only get one chance with life, but be as prepared as you can. Hope to see you on the road soon. Good travels!

Last edited:

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Terry, we too hope that June will recover and that you can resume your travels. Good luck and may God Bless.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Terry, hope June gets better very soon. We just sold our home and in the Horn for a few mouths. I will say it gets a bit crowded at times. We did however buy a smaller home with cheaper payment and that needs very little maintaining (rocks).

Last edited:

Bones

I'm sorry to hear your troubles. I hope things work towards the better for you guys.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Terry,
First of all we are wishing all the best and sending prayers for you and June.

If I had had my way when we were full timing, we probably would have sold our house, but Teri talked me out of it for many of the reasons that you have stated above. Now I'm glad we didn't because unforseeable things happen (and have happened since then). If you need anything at all please give us a shout. We're not that far away. Trace

MTPockets

Terry,
First of all we are wishing all the best and sending prayers for you and June.

If I had had my way when we were full timing, we probably would have sold our house, but Teri talked me out of it for many of the reasons that you have stated above. Now I'm glad we didn't because unforseeable things happen (and have happened since then). If you need anything at all please give us a shout. We're not that far away. Trace
. Thanks Trace, to you and others for best wishes. My purpose in making the post is to provide "food for thought" to those considering full time. Other posts have been made about having a back up plan, but until it happens it's hard to imagine; that's where we were when we started. Now I'm not so sure if selling the house was the best decision, but things are working well for us here. We're hoping to make Vegas, we're confirmed and intend to be there, but in reality it depends on June's ability to get out of her chair.

Miltp920

MTPockets, even though I do not know you (yet) I have read many of your posts and chuckled at your chat name "MTPockets". Thanks for your post, as we are currently making plans to sell the house and start living in an RV. We are just 55 years old, and I will have to work on the road, but I am able to do so in my job. You and June are in my prayers that He will bring June back to strength to be able to continue your dream of travel. I was just surfing on FB and saw an RV that had a wheel chair lift built into the side. This couple had a child in a wheelchair. Hope you never need to go this route, but it is nice to know it is out there if needed to keep a dream alive.

Az_Ernie

Terry, thank you for this post. It is definitely a sober reminder how quickly ones health can change. We wish June a quick and complete recovery.

Ernie and Marie

MTPockets

MTPockets, even though I do not know you (yet) I have read many of your posts and chuckled at your chat name "MTPockets". Thanks for your post, as we are currently making plans to sell the house and start living in an RV. We are just 55 years old, and I will have to work on the road, but I am able to do so in my job. You and June are in my prayers that He will bring June back to strength to be able to continue your dream of travel. I was just surfing on FB and saw an RV that had a wheel chair lift built into the side. This couple had a child in a wheelchair. Hope you never need to go this route, but it is nice to know it is out there if needed to keep a dream alive.
. Miltp920, thanks. We lived in Rochester, MI for five years, '83-'88, then we spent nine summers, '96-'05 in South Haven, MI on our boat, named MTPockets, so the name seemed fitting then as it does now. We retired at 56 and 57 and have enjoyed traveling our whole lives.. Enjoy while, and as long as you can.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We missed having you both at the Tucson Rally and hope June gets better so we can meet up again in Vegas . . . if not sooner!

Wish we lived closer so we could help out when needed!