full timing and exterior maintenance

mecastle

if this has been covered in another thread, please delete. when full timing after selling your sticks and bricks along with pretty much everything else you own, where can you do the exterior maintenance like washing and waxing the rig. what about the maint. on the truck. I plan on doing as much as I can to minimize expenses.

MCTalley

We've generally found that some RV parks will let you wash your rig (trailer and truck) for free, some require you to pay them something to let you wash your rig, some only let you hire someone that they call to come in and wash it or if you are on the road frequently, the Blue Beacon truck washes are a good way to get both washed. As far as waxing, etc., nobody will probably deny you that privilege in a campground (higher end "resorts" might).

Truck maintenance is a little more problematic. I've seen more campgrounds prohibit anything but light maintenance. The last thing they want is vehicles up on blocks with puddles of oil underneath. You might budget for having repairs done for you at a shop.

MTPockets

We've had no problem now into four years of full time. It's true that most places don't want you washing on site or maintenance like changing oil or for certain heavy maintenance. I always use a dealer or garage for truck fluid changes and haven't needed any more than routine anyway. I have washed the trailer many times. Some say OK after asking and other times I've used a bucket of water and large towell's to rub it down. That works out just as well. I've never had anyone say anything about my bucket wash method or waxing. I think the parks that post the no washing policy try to avoid the water splashing and running down the street, and maybe their water bill too. We camp hosted in a state park where the water cost was an issue for them, hence the no washing rigs policy. Mostly, if you're just putzing around, changing an air filter, a tire, applying a coat of wax, or checking the roof A/C or the like, nothing will be said.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Our two parks we've lived at have not had any policy against this. We actually changed the suspension, shackles and bushings on our rig over a weekend! But at the time we didn't have any close neighbors to disturb with our banging and such.

Another park, we had a mechanic friend come and service our wheel bearings, but again, no one immediately nearby to disturb.

I have washed the rig at both parks. This particular site, I was worried about getting overspray on the next site neighbor's car, so I asked him if he minded, first. He moved his car. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mecastle

thanks everyone for the responses. the road to full timing is long, varied, and full of questions, but an exciting journey.

wdk450

Most all California RV parks have restrictions against RV or other vehicle washing due to drought water restrictions in place by the state government. Even parks that have their own lake water supply. I too have gotten the O.K. for the buckets and towel method, they just do not want to see spraying water. But then some of them have mobile RV wash companies advertising in the park maps, so they allow these companies ONLY to wash RV's on site. My preferred mix is to use a commercial car wash liquid concentrate in a bucket along with a scrub brush, wiping that up with a towel, and following with an application of Meguar's #50 RV Cleaner/Wax. Washing the roof this way can be a challenge, though.
Most big truck stops have an oversized mechanical/human vehicle wash that will accept RV's including towables. In fact, this is where I have sometimes gotten my dually truck washed there alone, as most all mechanical car washes do not accept dually wheeled vehicles.

Last week I cleaned out my reusable truck air filter, and replaced my fuel filter in the park. Once I found a spring-equalizer bolt missing its nut and 3/4 of the way out when I got into an RV park. After consulting with the ranger and telling him I wasn't going anywhere until this emergency repair was made, he said "No problem" and I fixed it. I had my welder come out to my space in the Fall 2014 and patch together my frame enough to tow the rig 7 miles to his welding shop with no problems from the RV park.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It has been our experience that most parks will allow minor routine maintenance. When it comes to the major stuff they will allow it only in an emergency situation unless it is performed by a mobile RV service. As far as washing the rig and tow vehicle most allow professional services to do it and some will allow the rig owner to do it if you pay a small fee for extra water usage. Just check with the park manager for more info.