furnace, Am I missing a wall?

pnnf

Hi everyone,

I have a question about my "new to me" Landmark. I was in the rear basement (behind the sliding doors) putting in new pex water lines and trying to get them up and out of the way at the same time when I noticed that I could see the furnace. In fact i could see right into the kitchen,straight through the louvered panel for the air return.I didnt think much of it at the time and kept going about my work. With the old fifth wheel I had, the furnace was "in its own box" so to speak. the only way it could get air was from the air return on one side of its enclosure. The way this landmark is ,right now, its getting air from the rear basement area as well as from the louvered panel. Is this correct? There is a "wall" to the rear and there is the floor above. The one side is a louvered "wall" and the other side is wide open... Seams to me that there should be a "wall" separating the furnace from the basement so that the air return from the living space is fully utilized. I dont know if this is the way it was designed in an attempt to help warm the basement or if the previous owner had taken the "wall" off for some reason and just never put it back. I dont know how anyone got in there to take it down and know much less of how i would put something back in its place...its a bit too tight for me to get back there lol Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance~

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Our 2015 Landmark Ashland is the same way.
That is the way they designed it.
In some of the 2015 they forgot to put the return in altogether !! Some they went in after and hacked a big hole in the bottom of the staircase and stuck a louvered vent over it.
Like mine is...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

CDN

B and B
Hello,

My basement looks like this with the walls out. The air return is above the cabinet in our 2018 Louisville and pull off the ceiling down two wall cavity's. Somehow I can't see it doing too much. I sealed up leaks with foil tape on the furnace and ducts to force as much heat in the coach living area as possible when I was down there.

IMG_4926.JPG

pnnf

Our 2015 Landmark Ashland is the same way.
That is the way they designed it.
In some of the 2015 they forgot to put the return in altogether !! Some they went in after and hacked a big hole in the bottom of the staircase and stuck a louvered vent over it.
Like mine is...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the quick response. Wow, no air return? So you only have the one louvered vent which is now in the stairs? I have to say the area with the pipes is nice and toasty when the furnace is running.

Thanks again~

- - - Updated - - -

Hello,

My basement looks like this with the walls out. The air return is above the cabinet in our 2018 Louisville and pull off the ceiling down two wall cavity's. Somehow I can't see it doing too much. I sealed up leaks with foil tape on the furnace and ducts to force as much heat in the coach living area as possible when I was down there.

View attachment 61268

Wow you have a lot of room. I should get a pic of mine up lol. Im with you, i dont see it doing much. I wonder if the efficiency in heating the living space is affected in how much cubic feet it can move. I do know my basement stays nice and warm when the furnace is running. I wonder if it was a give and take by Heartland to keep both areas warm. I am going to do as you have done and make sure everything is leak free. Ive also thought of getting rid of that flex duct and putting in rigid 3" ducts. I think its crazy to run 10 feet of flex duct when you only need 4 feet of rigid pipe. Plus there wont be as much air flow restriction with straight pipe and a good benefit of metal pipe is that they will radiate some heat to the surrounding pipes.

Thanks for the reply~

CDN

B and B
Thank you for the quick response. Wow, no air return? So you only have the one louvered vent which is now in the stairs? I have to say the area with the pipes is nice and toasty when the furnace is running.

Thanks again~

- - - Updated - - -

Wow you have a lot of room. I should get a pic of mine up lol. Im with you, i dont see it doing much. I wonder if the efficiency in heating the living space is affected in how much cubic feet it can move. I do know my basement stays nice and warm when the furnace is running. I wonder if it was a give and take by Heartland to keep both areas warm. I am going to do as you have done and make sure everything is leak free. Ive also thought of getting rid of that flex duct and putting in rigid 3" ducts. I think its crazy to run 10 feet of flex duct when you only need 4 feet of rigid pipe. Plus there wont be as much air flow restriction with straight pipe and a good benefit of metal pipe is that they will radiate some heat to the surrounding pipes.

Thanks for the reply~

I Increased my basement storage by close to 40 sq ft of floor space. I moved the wall and added 2 new ones, tied up wires and pipes.

IMG_4960.JPGIMG_4962.JPG

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My furnace is sitting in the "open," with an air return louver near the ceiling in the kitchen, above the cabinets. Just for giggles, here's my photo of my "Basement 'o" Doom," where you take your life into your hands if you dare enter. The basement photo is prior to me relocating the EMS unit and the converter to the side of the step frame.

Attachments

• Basement o' Doom.jpg
    Basement o' Doom.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Cold Air Return.jpg
    Cold Air Return.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 52

carl.swoyer

My furnace is sitting in the "open," with an air return louver near the ceiling in the kitchen, above the cabinets. Just for giggles, here's my photo of my "Basement 'o" Doom," where you take your life into your hands if you dare enter. The basement photo is prior to me relocating the EMS unit and the converter to the side of the step frame.
John,
ROLOL we have the same basement!

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

It's even more intimidating from the other angle!
John
I actually thought about straighten it up. But I don't know if I need to carry anything else. I've recently reduce my load to items that I actually use.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

pnnf

I Increased my basement storage by close to 40 sq ft of floor space. I moved the wall and added 2 new ones, tied up wires and pipes.

View attachment 61269View attachment 61270

Thats awesome! love it and you did a great job. I was going to do something similar to mine only i have cross members in the way. behind the sliding doors is basically a shelf and if i "modify" the battery box (which is 6' in depth) i could get more room. thank you for the reply and ,again, great job

- - - Updated - - -

thank you very much. I have the same "basement 'o' doom" lol isnt it fun :) ive only just started trying to clean it up.