Furnace making noise when off

Bldjrs123

Anyone have any ideas?.. 2019 prowler lynx 30lx.. furnace is under our fridge. The vent above fridge is leaking as we have had nonstop rain since last night. This morning while furnace has been off entire time. I woke up to something sounding like a bomb or something.. Hubs doesn't seen to think it sounds like that as he heard it when he got home from work but he isn't sure how to explainit as he just heard it a short time beforeit stopped. Only heard the noise twice today but i was gone for a few hours.. noise lasts maybe 5 mins or so.. But rain water is leaking in and dripping on part of the furnace. Trying to figure out what noise is because I'm scared to try and turn furnace on tonight or to even check to see if it will work.

wdk450

Rainwater dripping into your wood framed RV isn't a good in thing in terms of mold and wood rot. Suggest you tarp up the roof and sides in the leak area until the rains stops and you can get some corrective work done. Any chance there is indoor RV storage in your area?

I would think strongly about an entire roof seal job like an application of Henrys Tropi-Cool RV silicone roof sealer asap, instead trying to find the suspected rain leak location.

Last edited:

Bldjrs123

We understand the rain isn't good because of mold and etc.. we live full time in our camper so can't store it.. the leak is from the fridge vent on the roof. Weather got cold before we were able to fix.

danemayer

while furnace has been off entire time. I woke up to something sounding like a bomb or something..... noise lasts maybe 5 mins or so..
I'm confused by your problem description. First, it seems like you think the noise is coming from the furnace, even though it's been off the whole time. Second, I'm having trouble relating to a noise like a bomb that goes on for 5 minutes.

Can you take another shot at describing exactly what you're hearing.

Bldjrs123

Noise was coming from the furnace.. the noise to me was kinda like a ticking bomb almost but furnace was off as it was 65 outside.. water was dripping on furnace there in turn noise was being caused.. it happened at least twice yesterday.. but started furnace last night as Temps dropped and rain had stopped after letting it dry for a few hours and furnace ran fine until this morning

danemayer

So the noise is a "tick, tick, tick", not a "boom". Maybe a water drip sound where water falls through the register and contacts metal. I don't think any current furnaces use pilot lights. There's electronic ignition. So if the furnace is off, there's no flame or explosion possibility. I suppose you could be hearing a noise resulting from water on the control board, but I think that's somewhat unlikely - more so if the furnace ran fine this morning.

Water leaks, full-time or not, must be addressed quickly as water intrusion will cause extensive damage that is very expensive to repair.

jerryjay11

I had a similar experience only the water dripping on the furnace was due to the drain hose from the fridge was misrouted from the factory and when the fridge was allowed to defrost the water dripped on the furnace and right on the electronic control board of the furnace. The water caused the board to short out. Replaced it, and rerouted the fridge drain hose through the vented exterior panel to fix the water problem. As danemayer stated, "Address that water leak quickly."

wdk450

The "tick, tick, tick" noise sounds to me like the electronic ignition section of the furnace control circuit board trying to light the furnace with its spark function. 1. This is NOT supposed to happen with the furnace turned off. 2. When this IS supposed to happen during normal furnace light up, it should attempt to light the furnace 3 (or is it 5) times before shutting down the whole furnace light procedure.

I also think your furnace control circuit board has been messed up by the rainwater. If you can locate the 12 volt DC fuse on the main fusepanel for the furnace, and remove it, you should shut off the ticking noise.