Furnace will not ignite

BobX2

Just spent four damp, chilly nights in the high country for the holiday weekend. Over night temps were in the low to mid 30's, and we were waking up to 40 degrees inside the camper. Rain showers and hail daily, with a few snowflakes thrown in for good measure. Typical for spring around here, and with a properly functioning NEW RV, it wouldn't be any big deal. Not happy campers! It's a 35,000 BTU Suburban furnace. Should be more than enough to keep us warm. HA! The blower motor comes on and you can hear the igniter clicking, and you can smell the propane coming out from the exhaust tube, but no ignition. This is only the third time this unit has been out and it work fine before. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come or expect from this camper. Might as well have been in a $100 tent... Now it's going into the shop (in a week and a half, the earliest available opening), so we get to miss out on a few weeks of prime camping season. :mad: Starting to regret trading in my Keystone.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You might check to make sure your propane is working well. Try lighting all the burners on your stove. Also do you have both your propane tanks open?

BobX2

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the flow of propane is fine. That's not the problem. Had all three burners on, as well as the oven, all at the same time to try to take the chill off.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
You might call Suburban and see if they know what to check. BTW, anyone can repair your heater...even an independent RV service center. You do not have to take it to a HL dealer. The heater is warrantied by Suburban....not HL. It has been known to have a critter build a nest in heaters. Ya might take the outside cover off and check.

jimtoo

Can't tell if your furnace is in a slide or not,, but if it is in slideout, look for a pinched hose. If not in a slide you might look at line to make sure it has not been damaged by something thrown up by a tire. And if it worked OK before you could also have wasp nest on or near sail switch which would prevent it from igniting.

You can call Heartland and they can give you the names of some independent shops in your area that have worked for them before on warranty problems and with Suburban.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Had the same problem. Was a booger to figure out, but it was the propane tanks switch over regulator. Adjusted the flow to the proper setting and has worked fine since. By the way, everything else propane worked fine.

BobX2

Have a mobile tech coming out to check it out tomorrow. Can't have the new camper sitting at the dealer for a few weeks this time of year. Hopefully I will be back up and functional when he leaves.

TXTiger

Just a quick note. The repair will be covered but the mobil service may not be. Check with Suburban for approval. Heartland warranty will not cover the mobil service fee only the repair.

MTPockets

Just a quick note. The repair will be covered but the mobil service may not be. Check with Suburban for approval. Heartland warranty will not cover the mobil service fee only the repair.
We used a mobile tech to repair water heater and replace awning motor; paid service fee but Suburban and Dometic warranty covered parts. It worth it in fuel and time savings.

BobX2

We used a mobile tech to repair water heater and replace awning motor; paid service fee but Suburban and Dometic warranty covered parts. It worth it in fuel and time savings.

Exactly my feelings. The camper is useless sitting at the dealer waiting for them to get the chance to look at it. Unfortunately, I opened it up this morning and turned on the thermostat, and the **** furnace ignited. Would have been much better for the tech if it wouldn't light. Hopefully he will still be able to diagnose what is wrong with it, because something is not right.

BobX2

Everything checked out fine. Clean as a whistle inside and out, as it should be since it's a three month old RV and there really aren't many insects buzzing around yet. The gap between the electrode and the burner was a little tight, which would result in a smaller spark. Widened the gap, got a bigger spark, and hopefully it will light every time for me now. Makes sense that that could cause the issue, but I won't really know until I get back up to my regular camping area, which is right about 8,600' in elevation. My usual one week vacation spot is at 9,600'. Altitude can be tough on these fickle, propane powered appliances. Doubt I can get any reimbursement from Suburban for making an adjustment that was incorrect from the factory, but a phone call is free, so I will try.