Further to Purchaser Outside State

ILH

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone here can provide advice or assistance regarding insurance in New York State. Here's the issue...

I live in Ontario. I purchased an RV at the Hershey RV show in September from a dealer in New York State. The RV just recently arrived. My existing insurance broker advised that we cannot insure it with Ontario-based insurance until the rig is plated in Ontario. We can't plate it in Ontario until it is in Ontario. We're planning to leave it at the dealer's lot until the weather is warmer. As a result I need insurance from now until I bring the rig home.

I called the US Progressive phone number and obtained a quote for insurance. I disclosed all the info, including locations, residency, etc. No problem. I was thrilled.

I tried to finalize the quote today and I had an issue with the web site - so I had to speak with a representative to make the payment. Despite several conversations previously, suddenly today Progressive says that the risk is too high.

Is there anybody on this forum who is associated with insurance who can advise me regarding obtaining a policy in New York State?

MCTalley

Sounds like a similar situation to one we had when we put a trailer on a consignment dealer's lot. Our regular RV insurer (Good Sam via National General) said they couldn't insure it on a lot like that. We ended up having to shop around for a special insurance rider on consigned RVs. We found a policy through Blue Sky (no longer in business, I believe).

Ask the RV dealer if they do any consignments and, if so, what insurer are others using to insure their property on the dealer's lot. If they don't consign units, find out if there are any nearby dealers that do.

I'm thinking that if someone would cover a unit on a dealer's lot as a consignment would probably also cover your unit on the dealer's lot waiting for you to pick it up.

Do note that the rate will be pretty high (I seem to remember paying somewhere about $150 US per month for my consignment insurance).

NYSUPstater

A question comes to mind. While yes you have bought the unit, have you paid for it in full already or just some kind of down payment? Seems to me that if you made just a down payment, the dealer still owns the coach until you pick it up/pay for it in full, therefor they are responsible for things. However, it would seem to me as well that when you go to pick it up in a few months, that your insurance would cover it providing the effective date is day you pick it up. Seems very odd that your insurance won't cover it till it hits Ontario soil.

If you cannot get insurance coverage, here's another thought which is probly very far fetched. Come a few months from now and you go to dealer and do your PDI and all....don't sign any final paperwork just yet. Make arrangements w/ dealer to have them deliver it to "X" location in Ontario (again they still own it at this point and their insurance), once in Ontario, go over unit again and if all is well, THEN sign final paperwork and hand over final check/payment. At this point, your insurance should take effect and unit will either have temp transport tag or you could have your Ontario tag already set to put on it and go from there. Just a thought.

Keep us abreast as to what happens.

NYSUP.

ILH

A question comes to mind. While yes you have bought the unit, have you paid for it in full already or just some kind of down payment? Seems to me that if you made just a down payment, the dealer still owns the coach until you pick it up/pay for it in full, therefor they are responsible for things. However, it would seem to me as well that when you go to pick it up in a few months, that your insurance would cover it providing the effective date is day you pick it up. Seems very odd that your insurance won't cover it till it hits Ontario soil.

Keep us abreast as to what happens.

NYSUP.

The dealer is pushing for us to pay for it NOW, since the unit was ordered and has arrived on their lot. However, this thought (of holding back part payment) to keep the title from passing from dealer to purchaser, had already been on my mind. If I can't find insurance this week, this may be topic of discussion with the dealer.

rhodies1

The dealer is pushing for us to pay for it NOW, since the unit was ordered and has arrived on their lot. However, this thought (of holding back part payment) to keep the title from passing from dealer to purchaser, had already been on my mind. If I can't find insurance this week, this may be topic of discussion with the dealer.

I would tread lightly with telling the dealer that they need to keep it until you are ready. They may advise that you are refusing to accept unit.... thus forfeiting your deposit and relationship .
They may put it on the lot and sell and not worry about your needs.

rhodies1

Have you also spoken to the dealer about having a reputable transporter bring it to the border. They carry insurance.. Yes you will need to pay for unit before it leaves dealer ,but transporter would be responsible while they are hauling. From NY to Ont Border shouldn’t cost a large amt.depending where in Ont you live.
You would be required to take possession before border crossing due to the paperwork at Customs .

ILH

Have you also spoken to the dealer about having a reputable transporter bring it to the border. They carry insurance.. Yes you will need to pay for unit before it leaves dealer ,but transporter would be responsible while they are hauling. From NY to Ont Border shouldn’t cost a large amt.depending where in Ont you live.
You would be required to take possession before border crossing due to the paperwork at Customs .

Didn't really want to do this, albeit it may be required in the end, because we haven't sold our old trailer yet. Didn't want to pay for storage for two units in addition to the risk of transporting it during winter. The dealer was willing to store it till spring free of charge.

NYSUPstater

Didn't really want to do this, albeit it may be required in the end, because we haven't sold our old trailer yet. Didn't want to pay for storage for two units in addition to the risk of transporting it during winter. The dealer was willing to store it till spring free of charge.

Sure the dealer will store it for free, but still begs the question as to insurance while it's there and the fact the dealer wants you to pay for it......basically now. Not sure how far you are from dealer, but IMO, cannot see making 2 round trips (to do PDI/pay for it, then p/u at later date). Seems tho that the dealer would be willing to work w/ you on not paying for it now, storing it and figure out a way to have unit covered w/ insurance till you get it either in NY or Ont.