Garbage Disposal in Kitchen Sink?

ParkIt

I did this on my MH custom coach and not sure why I wouldn't be able to install one on our BC. With the dual sinks and wiring it looks like it can be done, just wondering if anyone else has installed one and what they ran into (good or bad).

It would take a bit of hunting to see who has a 1/4hp disposal unit, anything larger is too big and I need something for my DH because when the trap is full of food, he just flips it over down the drain :rolleyes: Don't plan on getting a countertop dishwasher so I know I'm going to need something to reduce the food bits to keep the grey water tank from getting clogged...cuz I'm not going to be the designated dishwasher.

All suggestions are welcome! :D

SilverRhino

Interesting to see this.....read an article this morning in Mike Holmes magazine on garbage disposals. There are cities that have banned the use of disposals due to the solids output causing problems in the sewage treatment plants. I had not heard of this before.

Two years ago, I gutted the kitchen in our house and built all new cabinets, new tile floor, all new electrical and plumbing. The one thing that did not go back in was a disposal. I felt there were just too many issues with them, and really did not see that many benefits. We have lived just fine without, and most of our waste goes into a compost heap.

Composting is not available to the RVer, I know.......But personally I would not try to install a disposal in my coach. Seems to me it would just add more potential for leaks, but of course, these are just my opinions. Much easier to just scrape scraps into the trash and clean the sink strainer......Never have had an issue plugging up a gray water tank.

All this said.....Don't see why you could not install one in the BH.......Basically you only need two things 1) Drain & 2) Power....Keep us posted, I'm sure there are others who would enjoy this mod.

ParkIt

Interesting to see this.....read an article this morning in Mike Holmes magazine on garbage disposals. There are cities that have banned the use of disposals due to the solids output causing problems in the sewage treatment plants. I had not heard of this before.
I'll have to check that as well though we'll be drydock for 6 months at a time and so far have not seen anything regarding garbage disposals. It worked great in the MH and my grey water was so fine & clear you couldn't tell which was a piece of pasta from a small floret of broccoli or that last bit of the soap bar that went down the drain.

Two years ago, I gutted the kitchen in our house and built all new cabinets, new tile floor, all new electrical and plumbing. The one thing that did not go back in was a disposal. I felt there were just too many issues with them, and really did not see that many benefits. We have lived just fine without, and most of our waste goes into a compost heap.
We did the same but DH *still* doesn't get it. I bought a bin that has a removable bin inside so it doesn't get messy and is easy to dump - it also has a foot pad to open the top. Its right next to the sink outside the cabinet and you have to just about trip over it while working at the sink but he still doesn't use it! :rolleyes:

Composting is not available to the RVer, I know.......But personally I would not try to install a disposal in my coach. Seems to me it would just add more potential for leaks, but of course, these are just my opinions. Much easier to just scrape scraps into the trash and clean the sink strainer......Never have had an issue plugging up a gray water tank.
Again...I'm not able to teach that dog a new trick. Another thought about RV'ing are lack of recycle stations. While we don't use much that goes into recycle, it still baffles me so many do not have receptacles for at least bottles/glass/plastic. ?

All this said.....Don't see why you could not install one in the BH.......Basically you only need two things 1) Drain & 2) Power....Keep us posted, I'm sure there are others who would enjoy this mod.
Will do with pictures. Its on my "list", the only thing I need to straighten out first is the wiring, plumbing & heat venting. The rest will be "NEXT!" ;)

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
My only question would be. How much weight will the sink hold and the clips that hold it to the counter top. The weight of a disposal would bother me bouncing down the road. Our home does not bounce down the road. We never put solids down the drain..always in the trash can. JMHO

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Look at my avitar pic. The white 120lb beast on my left walking in the snow travels with us always, his name is Bear. Bear is our garbage disposal unit. He'll dispose of everything from rib bones to black-eyed-peas LOL!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I have read threads about wanting to use a garbage disposal in an RV. Some of the main discussion is how to remove the debris. You don't have a Sani Flush hose like you do in the Black tank. This would leave the debris in the bottom to firment and would, in my opinion, cause an odor.

How we try to keep the debris out of the kitchen tank is using the stainless steel mesh in the drain.
This works great for us and we got ours at Wal-Mart.
Drain Screen.jpg

BC

dstrobel

I've always wanted a garbage disposal in our RV, but after reading this it sounds like its a tricky process. I usually like to do things myself but in this case I may have to hang up my pride and hire an Indianapolis Handyman. Has anyone been able to install one themselves without problems?

Last edited:

jimtoo

I've always wanted a garbage disposal in our RV, but after reading this it sounds like its a tricky process. I usually like to do things myself but in this case I may have to hang up my pride and hire a handyman.. Has anyone been able to install one themselves without problems?

Hi dstrobel,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

What kind of RV do you have? Garbage disposal's are almost not heard of in RV's.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

GOTTOYS

I don't think I would install one. The build-up of ground waste in the gray tank could be very hard to dispose of and could eventually plug the tank. The installation itself wouldn't be hard if there is room but you should also provide a separate 15 amp plug and circuit for it. Just not worth it in my opinion...Don

dstrobel

Thank you for the advice guys, sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth. We have a north country as well if that makes any difference. I might get some quotes on the job to satisfy my curiosity.

ParkIt

DH is just not good with the kitchen stuff overall, we've been trying dry runs in the house and it just doesn't change his habits. I know from the MH he *will* flush food down the grey water tank, I'd rather have it ground up and like TXBobcat's strainer idea. Between spending time on the Jeeps, one race car, a new (to us) truck I'm thinking there should be a way to make a filter much like what you see on a car: running it between the bottom of the disposal to the holding tank, when its full the sink will back up and maybe remind him what a pita it is to take it off and clean it out.
We also found we won't have to drydock, job options changed so we'll be on full hook up most of the time which will help by leaving the grey open. Also found a 1/4hp unit that will wire in easily and fit without rattling around as we are changing the stainless steel sinks for deeper composite ones.

It will probably be a year before we see how this pans out, for now my head has it worked out ;)

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Have you ever smelled a kitchen grey tank without putting any solids down? Sometimes they can be worse than a black tank.
We don't put any solids down the drain, or any liquids containing protein.

Grinding up food and sending it to, or through a holding tank, sounds like a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster to me. Trace

Last edited:

dfk009

Sandpiper RV used to offer a garbage disposal, and dishwasher option (Frigadare) a couple of years ago. We were interested in them, and saw one, but not ready to buy at that time. I don't see those options available anymore. May have been too many problems like you said.

porthole

Retired
I don't like the disposal in the house but finally gave in.
Won't do it again and certainly don't want one in the trailer.

iPhone using Tapatalk

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have read threads about wanting to use a garbage disposal in an RV. Some of the main discussion is how to remove the debris. You don't have a Sani Flush hose like you do in the Black tank. This would leave the debris in the bottom to firment and would, in my opinion, cause an odor.

How we try to keep the debris out of the kitchen tank is using the stainless steel mesh in the drain.
This works great for us and we got ours at Wal-Mart.
View attachment 13343

BC

This too is our Garbage Disposal and it works just fine.