Gas tank popping

2018 Heartland Cyclone 4005. We filled our transfer tank for the first time last year for a longer boon docking trip. We immediately noticed a loud tank popping noise. I checked the gas cap and when I remove gas cap there is a lot of pressure that vents out. Thought it was a bad cap and bought another one. Does the same thing. Since then I have pumped all the fuel that I can get out of the pump and continues to build pressure in tank and pop. Anyone else experienced this?

david-steph2018

The tanks should be vented to allow the pressure to bleed off. You may need to check the vent line to see if there is a kink or plugged.

jmarnell

There have been previous threads on the forum about the gas tank popping. Seems it is usually a plugged vent line (mud dobbers) or a kink in the vent hose. When those items were cleared, others have reported the popping sound going away.

LBR

2018 Heartland Cyclone 4005. We filled our transfer tank for the first time last year for a longer boon docking trip. We immediately noticed a loud tank popping noise. I checked the gas cap and when I remove gas cap there is a lot of pressure that vents out. Thought it was a bad cap and bought another one. Does the same thing. Since then I have pumped all the fuel that I can get out of the pump and continues to build pressure in tank and pop. Anyone else experienced this?
Happened to our 2017 CY. We were boondocking, as always, out away from other campers....I had just topped off both tanks before setting camp and we left for a few hours off-roading in Quartzsite area. Was 90+° that day, got home and went to enter the back door...was graced with smell of gas. Looked underneath and saw the puddle with overflow dripping...the fuel station was really pregnant, and then a POP! Bled both caps slowly so as to not wear any gas...took a few minutes. Long story, but the remedy is so simple....

After filling your tanks, put caps on tight to where they ratchet, THEN back them loose 3/4 turn to where it comes tight to take them off. Leaving the caps 3/4 backed off allows mine to bled gas pressures off instead of forcing gas out the overflows for a true gas leak.

mwc

Mine did that and it was awful. I looked around for the vent line and found one had a wire tie on it kind of making like and S bend in the hose. Supposedly that is supposed to keep water from being able to get into your tank but I removed it and it has not popped since.