General, can you leave slide out all the time?

marknewbill

Just a general question, Recently bought a new camper RE275. I have one of those metal carports now that will hold the camper. I made it wide enough to open the slide (big slide for dinette and Livingroom couch). Is there any problem to open the slide inside the enclosure and just leave it open for weeks? I am sure it may get some dust on its roof, but other than that, it should not be in the sun and should not get wet as there is a wall on that side most of the way to the bottom. will this stress any structural components to leave it open for weeks at a time?

the only reason to leave it open is to allow us to go in and out without opening and closing it to do cleanings and other things. its pretty cramped inside with it closed.

Just curious.
Thanks,
Mark.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only time our slides are in is when we are on the road. At home they are always out.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

Leaving them out is likely fine, but I would exercise them on occasion to keep fluids and mechanical components in good condition.

centerline

the only concern with leaving them out in storage is that rodents or birds may deposit stuff on top of them, which then comes inside when the slide is retracted... or worse, the neighbor kids throwing their balls/toys, and accidentally getting one over the fence and up on the slide unit, which then can cause some damage when the slide is pulled in.....

leaving the slide out all the time without being under cover when its not being used, will allow the uv rays to get to the seals for no good reason... but they should last at least 8-10years in full sun...

marknewbill

Thanks for all the helpful information. I may leave it open in storage but will check the top before preparing to leave. Sounds like a plan. Thanks again.

the only concern with leaving them out in storage is that rodents or birds may deposit stuff on top of them, which then comes inside when the slide is retracted... or worse, the neighbor kids throwing their balls/toys, and accidentally getting one over the fence and up on the slide unit, which then can cause some damage when the slide is pulled in.....

leaving the slide out all the time without being under cover when its not being used, will allow the uv rays to get to the seals for no good reason... but they should last at least 8-10years in full sun...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Slide toppers will take care of those problems.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
My slides were always out when my RV's were parked next to my house...

Never had any issue whatsoever.