General "er, what?" with the rig

ParkIt

First off, I can't say how pleased and seeming lucky my unit has not had the issues others have. That makes me happy :)

The weird part is now I have some time to finally get around to decorating the inside and finding things that make my brain stop and think "I probably got the new guy".

Didn't like the headboard and went to take it off, the short finish nails pulled out fine...it was the wavy line of 1/4" thick or more silicon glue stuck to the wall which tore part of the paper off had me thinking "er, what?".

There is a beautiful mirror...in the commode room (floor plan is commode only room with laundry next to it in the general bath area). This is in the wrong place so I removed the screws and mirror locks - but its stuck on like the headboard. "er, what?"

Putting up new curtains and noticed two things: the wrought iron rod has the arrow head ends welded on. They don't come off at all so its hard to remove the existing small side curtains and put new ones up. "er, what?"

Removed the lights under the book cabinet on the dining side to find a huge hole had be cut out and covered up with the light fixture on both sides. "er, what?"

While working on the back window of the entry slide out over the recliners, the valance (wood covered with fabric) wasn't secured at all but there were screws drilled into the wall just a hair outside of the valance. "er, what?"

All wood blinds are all at least 4" longer than the window frame and hang up on the L brackets holding the bottom of the side curtains. "er, what?"

There are a few other things that just kind of make me scratch my head, nothing spectacular and I know this was a amalgam of 2 different floor plans and interior decor but it's kind of tough when you come from a building background and know how to measure twice, cut or drill once and silicon isn't the best "glue" to use on the kind of walls on these and all manufactured units ;)

Last edited:

VKTalley

I totally agree with you, Parkit!!! We have had a few of those where we were scratching our heads and saying "what were they thinking" moments. Our headboard was just tack nailed up (knocked it loose the first week living in the rig) but we haven't replaced it yet....though, every time we make the bed, I get frustrated with it as the bed is what is holding it up against the wall. It is just about the last thing to be changed in our rig as we've already changed most of the blinds, removed the valance/cornice boards, and changed most of the furniture. Thankfully Malcolm (MCT) has blogged about our changes and upgrades, so it is fun to go back and see where we started.

ParkIt

You got lucky on the headboard, it took hours to get that silicon off the wall without tearing the wall paper even further than it is! Even though there is a big picture window in the back (RL so the flat screen is in the entertainment center on the slide out), I'm putting the headboard there which kind of extends the couch back (replaced factory couch) and I can drop it behind down the wall when I don't want it up. Pulled out the tack nails first though, it looked funny after replacing the mattress with a Select Comfort leaving a huge gap between the headboard and mattress. I'm still considering putting a window there, those tiny side windows don't do much for air circulation.

I like the valances and rods, just not the tiny side curtains so I've been messing with some tab top curtains but I'll probably have to sew something which is not what I wanted to mess with.
It also makes me wonder what I'll find when I pull the fireplace out for more storage and the wall behind the flat screen for a flip up like the newer models, its always a surprise! (Surprise! You can't get it off easily lol).

I'll have to check your blog, its been awhile since I've read it :)

VKTalley

LOL, BouseBill, she's probably correct!
Parkit, I made all the curtains/toppers in our rig using fabric from curtains that I found at IKEA. I even found slipcovers for my square sofa pillow and lamp shades to match the curtain fabric. Malcolm is very pleased with the look. The nice thing about making my own is, if I get tired of them, I can make new ones.

RVNEWBIE

We purchased a new Key Largo just a few months ago. We took it on its maiden voyage as quickly as possible. When I went to LOCK to door for the evening, it would not. The regular key lock worked fine, but the deadbolt not at all. I tried to see what was going on, but really couldn't at the time. I looked it over and over and over at different times and still did not really see the problem. Then,,,one day...LIGHT BULB! The factory had installed the striker plate UPSIDE DOWN! Removed, flipped, reinstalled and all is well! I guess I should have figured it was upside down as it also appears that our tank monitors are wired BACKWARDS! They show 2/3s after only one sink full of dishes and a few flushes.

As an OCD individual, it is LITTLE things like this and what you describe that drive me to drinkin! LOL!

Joe

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We purchased a new Key Largo just a few months ago. We took it on its maiden voyage as quickly as possible. When I went to LOCK to door for the evening, it would not. The regular key lock worked fine, but the deadbolt not at all. I tried to see what was going on, but really couldn't at the time. I looked it over and over and over at different times and still did not really see the problem. Then,,,one day...LIGHT BULB! The factory had installed the striker plate UPSIDE DOWN! Removed, flipped, reinstalled and all is well! I guess I should have figured it was upside down as it also appears that our tank monitors are wired BACKWARDS! They show 2/3s after only one sink full of dishes and a few flushes.

As an OCD individual, it is LITTLE things like this and what you describe that drive me to drinkin! LOL!

Joe

If you get OCD over those tank displays, you'll be pulling out a lot of hair! They never read correctly. I just use them as a relative gauge of approximation.

ParkIt

If you get OCD over those tank displays, you'll be pulling out a lot of hair! They never read correctly. I just use them as a relative gauge of approximation.
Yep, that was something I learned in the early 90's for units under half a million start price.

Another "er, what?": The small area (supposed to be a closet of some sort that is 4" deep) when you enter the unit has a lock on the door handle. If there is a 4" wide person in there, I'll just leave them there because that would be impressive.
All of the handles have locks, some face inwards the wrong way and make no sense while the bedroom doors have no lock at all. Er, what? ;)