General list of things to work on replacing a bathroom faucet?

marknewbill

Hello,
I have a 2020 pioneer that has the small plastic bathroom faucet. I know it is a 4 inch faucet, and I have already selected a replacement that should fit. The main difference is the replacement faucet has pre-attached lines, made for the 1/4 outlet on a residential cutoff valve.

Note: I have never worked on PEX before, and have none of the tools, except a pipe cutting tool that should work. I do have a lot of experience with CPVC, so plumbing I know, just never used PEX.

I need recommendations on the most cost effective way to crimp/connect to pex without hopefully needing to buy the 100.00 tool for this one job.

I expect the existing faucet has pex barbed fittings that directly screw onto the bottom of the faucet. if not, I will take a look under there soon. It would be nice if they had cutoffs under there, but I dont have any real hope for that.

what things should I do to prepare to replace the faucet in terms of what size fittings to acquire to fit the pex pipes and adapt it to the needed cutoffs, or adapters to mate with the 1/4 female fittings on the faucet supply tubes, and what tool do you recommend to make a leak free job, and hopefully not break the bank. if the good tool is required, then I will get that as well, just checking my options.

Thanks,
Mark

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
08167526.jpg
A tool like this would work for the cinch type PEX rings. Does take a bit of hand grip strength as opposed to the actual tool made for it. Were you in my next of the woods, I have the tools for both types of PEX clamps.
41J84MuHGoL._AC_.jpg

wdk450

While at the home improvement store, plumbing department, PEX lines and fittings, take a look at all of the Sharkbite (brand) 1/2 inch PEX fittings. All you need to do to install these is get a good right angle cut of the PEX tubing, maybe shave a small bevel into the end of the tubing (not 100% necessary, sandpaper can do enough), and push the fitting onto the end(s) of the PEX. Sharkbite fittings are leakproof enough to be allowed behind walls by building codes. They even have an inexpensive removal tool, if you need it.

https://www.sharkbite.com/us/en/resources/videos/how-to-install-sharkbite-push-to-connect-fittings (Ignore the crimping tool references on this page)

marknewbill

Thanks for all of the suggestions. My favorite so far is that cutoff that doesn't require special tools, kind of pricey but looks easy, and if I don't have any cutoffs, that solves 2 issues.

and if I cant get those, or want to move the pipes around to make clearances, the one about the cutters to bend the crimp, that also looks easy and I think I have something like that from when I did some CV boot replacements - ill look and see if that thing fits these. I know it wont be pre adjusted or anything and it will take some trial and error to get it right but still better than a special tool I may not use again in years.

as far as leaks, while I certainly don't want any, these are in an easy to notice spot if they do, as the outdoor shower is also here and it used to leak when it rained, and due to the linoleum flooring, that water would run out in the bathroom floor. so hopefully it would be spotted easily just in case. and they are just under the cabinet for easy inspection.

it would be neat if somebody made a "screw type hose clamp" style for pex with a fine threaded screw so a lot of force could be obtained, but i haven't seen one of those.