Generator and Boondocking question

Porkchop

Hi everyone,

Sorry about the newbie questions, but I'm heading up to Canada in a few weeks for 4 nights, mostly boondocking. No electricity anywhere.... I'm bringing my young son (14 months) and I have a few questions. I don't have my instruction manual with me (I left it in the RV which is 1.5 hours away) so please bear with me with the questions that are probably in these manuals. My fuel gauges are broken and aren't slated to be fixed until AFTER our boondocking experience, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Off the top of your head do you know the following:

1) How many gallons are in the Genny fuel tank.

2) How many gallons are in my second fuel tank.

3) How long will the Generator run approximately with a load on a full tank (AC running etc).
Does anyone know if its something like 30 minutes per gallon or something like that?

3.5) Is gas/diesel cheaper in the US or Canada?

4) Can I use the fuel pump off the aux fuel tank and the generator fuel tank? Or just the aux fuel tank?

5) How wide is the RV with the slides out all the way (for the campground we are going to on the 4th of July).

6) Any tips on boondocking? It's not completely boondocking since there are some facilities there. Bathrooms and showers, so I plan on utillizing that over the RV bathroom as much as possible.

We are hitting a few campgrounds on the way there and back again so we hopefully won't have too much trouble with our black and grey tanks.

Last question (that I can think of right now).

7) What the heck is a sewer donut? All the campgrounds say we need it. Does it come with this kit or do I have to buy it separately?

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-39761-R...TF8&colid=1T4ARS9DAJKVQ&coliid=I2KAZGF36HLDJE

Thanks again!

Irene

Urban350

I will start by answering a few of thwe questions.
1) How many gallons are in the Genny fuel tank.
20 Gallons

2) How many gallons are in my second fuel tank.
30 Gallons

3.5) Is gas/diesel cheaper in the US or Canada?
As far as I know it is cheaper in the US

4) Can I use the fuel pump off the aux fuel tank and the generator fuel tank? Or just the aux fuel tank?
Just the Aux tank, but you can fill the Gen. tank with it.

brianharrison

5. - About 14 feet. Some are just under, around 13 ft 7" or so.

6. Lots of tips on boondocking - my best one is use your bathroom - you bought it; use it..... Second one is watch your batteries - run the generator in the days for a couple of hours to top them up, or if your pulling, the truck alternator will help charge the batteries.

7. Sewer donut is the round orange connection (tapered) on the end of the sewer hose that ties into the park sewer connection or dump station.

Brian

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
3) How long will the Generator run approximately with a load on a full tank (AC running etc).
Does anyone know if its something like 30 minutes per gallon or something like that?

the 5500 will run 1hr on 1 gal ( at full load ) so assuming you are not a full load you should get 24+ hrs from your 20 gal tank.

7) What the heck is a sewer donut? All the campgrounds say we need it. Does it come with this kit or do I have to buy it separately?

In most cases you do not need one - but some CG do not have a properly sized pipe, and in those cases you will need the Donut - It is used to seal the pipe completely so no "off gassing" can happen. It is a good thing to have available just in case you need it. oh and here is a link to CW for a Donut. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/foam-rubber-sewer-seal/4496

Last edited:

TwoGypsies

We haven't boondocked, can't help you beyond the good answers you've already received. We used to be Canadians and have lots of family up there. Fuel is substantially more expensive across the border. Fill everything before you cross. Recently gasoline was about $1.30 CDN per liter. A US gallon is pretty close to 4 liters, so if you consider the dollar at par you get $5.20 per U.S. gallon. Last week the Canadian dollar was down to $.97 US so it just gets worse....

Porkchop

Thanks for everything!

Does the Rhino kit have the donut already? or do I have to buy a separate one?

We will fill up EVERYTHING before we cross the border including all our extra gas cans we have... Will I have a problem with that?

Thanks again!
Irene

TwoGypsies

Actual gas cans in good shape should not be a problem, i.e. no bleach jugs or other crap. I used to put two or three in my pickup when I went over the border to fill up and nothing was ever said.

ILH

We will fill up EVERYTHING before we cross the border including all our extra gas cans we have... Will I have a problem with that?

Thanks again!
Irene

Just a word of caution...depending on where you cross (i.e. which province), you may have to pay tax on the fuel in any fuel cans. There is a general exemption on importing fuel in the tank of your licensed vehicle, but not the fuel in gas cans. It is treated like any other commodity you buy and bring across the border.

Porkchop

Thank you for the information. We are going to Caliboogie Motorsports. Staying at a campground near the 1000 Islands.

Last time DH went there, they didn't even look in the cargo trailer at all, but who knows this time.

Thanks for the warning!

Irene

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Hi Irene, what campground are you staying at in the 1000 Islands? I just live down the road........Cheers, Brad

Thank you for the information. We are going to Caliboogie Motorsports. Staying at a campground near the 1000 Islands.

Last time DH went there, they didn't even look in the cargo trailer at all, but who knows this time.

Thanks for the warning!

Irene

porthole

Retired
We just did 5 1/2 days at Dover speedway, boon docking.
We used about 30 allons of gas while we were there. Used mostly in the morning for coffee and hot water and in the afternoon for the AC etc.

Two nights it ran all night, for AC and to drown out the $300 gennys that were running :mad:

Cycloner3950

Crazy for Camping!
Don't you just love those Costco specials, the yellow "Champions"....lol. I just got back from Pocono Nascar and used only 1/2 a tank!!!! I love my Onan genny...

We just did 5 1/2 days at Dover speedway, boon docking.
We used about 30 allons of gas while we were there. Used mostly in the morning for coffee and hot water and in the afternoon for the AC etc.

Two nights it ran all night, for AC and to drown out the $300 gennys that were running :mad:

Porkchop

Hi Irene, what campground are you staying at in the 1000 Islands? I just live down the road........Cheers, Brad

Sorry about the late reply! I've been out and I usually check this on the computer vs phone. Its easier.

anyway, Martin says we are staying at the 1000 Islands campground on Rt 12, alexander bay NY.

PM off list if you want to try to meet up! We are staying there Sunday night.

Irene