Generator and refrigerator

KirkJoe64

2019 Heartland Torque 371 with a 5500 generator. My question is I want to turn the refrigerator on while traveling to keep cool and I’m wondering if the generator will do this? I know it has enough output to do it but the two times I’ve tried it hasn’t cooled the refrigerator. Is there something I’m missing?

david-steph2018

Are the breakers on the front of the generator on? Also, on our Road Warrior, the residential fridge can run off the batteries thru the inverter, not needing the generator. Does your setup have a residential fridge & an inverter for this operation?

your 371 is equipped with the same refrig as our 373. The Dometric has a tough time in hotter climates. It will work on 12v and propane OR 110V from your generator/50amp service. Both suffer from the excesive heat outdoors as the same process of cooling is used on both setups.
I'm considering
upgrade. besides, it looks cool.

centerline

I have always ran mine on gas/propane when traveling..... and never had any problems with the fridge staying cold... one thing that helps keep the fridge cool and the odors of a warm fridge at bay, is to install a fan inside the fridge near the bottom so it blows the air upwards....

I have a small 3x3x1.25inch squirrel cage fan that i found on ebay, that Ive mounted with double sided tape between the bottom drawers that blows up towards the cooling fins, that runs on a timer (12v) that activates anytime the fridge is turned on.... it blows for 1 minute every 20minutes, which keeps the interior at an even, constant temp all the time... it makes a HUGE difference in keeping the temps down when the outside temps get near 90 and above.... and no odors ever.... I used this same fan/timer set up in my old trailer for 4 years, and when we got this trailer 2 years ago, i moved it to this one....

the generator can run while you are traveling, but there really is no need unless you have dead batteries and need to run charger/inverter while moving....