Generator in Bighorn, Champion 2800 watt

SLO

Sometimes there are questions about what generators people use and the setup. Just thought I’d post what I use for someone’s consideration. Champion 2800w will run one AC or just about everything else. Just not AC and everything else at the same time. Charges batteries pretty quick and is quiet. Maybe not as quiet as a one Honda but quieter than two running g at the same time. Really don’t use it all the much, maybe never, because of the 600w of solar. I know the negatives are stored in same compartment as batteries and clearances. Generator say 5’ clearance which I don’t have. Generator stays very cool except around exhaust. I’ll pull generator out to run it and back in to store. Here’s some pics.

0fd0ecef112ecf7a6849c251e4fc2094.jpg
f1c693e61068bee691200598c6bb33ad.jpg
a4157dfa5da71d1090c0f2b4b07289b5.jpg
6c92836d506315683feb327d9129c524.jpg

https://youtu.be/TSqO1VEFRiw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

SLO,

That's a pretty neat set-up. One question tho. Do you have any kind of HD security cable attached to the back side of genny and then to 5er? Reason I ask is, unless you swapped out the lock for door, it's a 751 key and would hate to see you loose the genny. But I know the lock/cable just keep the honest folks out. Just askin'.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Very Nice! Would love to do the same in our front compartment. How did you attach the sliding tray in the compartment. Ours seems to be heavy gauge sheet metal in the bottom, with not much structural support.

Thanks

SLO

SLO,

That's a pretty neat set-up. One question tho. Do you have any kind of HD security cable attached to the back side of genny and then to 5er? Reason I ask is, unless you swapped out the lock for door, it's a 751 key and would hate to see you loose the genny. But I know the lock/cable just keep the honest folks out. Just askin'.

I did change the 751 lock to this.

https://shoprvlocks.com/product/tubular-cam-locks-ch751-replacement/

Very Nice! Would love to do the same in our front compartment. How did you attach the sliding tray in the compartment. Ours seems to be heavy gauge sheet metal in the bottom, with not much structural support.

Thanks

I welded up 1 1/4” angle iron to raise it up to door opening and to spans the compartment front to back so it’s not resting on the sheet metal. I could have done this out of wood as well. This also added storage space undear the generator.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I welded up 1 1/4” angle iron to raise it up to door opening and to spans the compartment front to back so it’s not resting on the sheet metal. I could have done this out of wood as well. This also added storage space undear the generator.

Thanks. Currently have a 2000W generator that works great. But is limited. No AC. I store it in the basement and have to lift it out. And even at 48 pounds, it is still quite the struggle. Any links to the sliding tray you can provide?

SLO

Thanks. Currently have a 2000W generator that works great. But is limited. No AC. I store it in the basement and have to lift it out. And even at 48 pounds, it is still quite the struggle. Any links to the sliding tray you can provide?

I had to make my own sliding tray. I couldn’t find anything with the right dimensions for the front compartment. Its made up of slides, mounting bracket and the floor of the slide. Here’s the lols for the slides and mounting bracket.

https://ahturf.com/store/index.php?...MIwZjvu-KQ4QIV2B-tBh3TrQlREAQYAiABEgJkWvD_BwE

https://www.cabinetparts.com/p/accuride-drawer-slides-side-mount-drawer-slides-AC418022

I had a piece of aluminum diamond plate cut for the floor. Accuride is a high quality drawer slide used for heavy duty applications. It’s expensive but worth it.