Generator Life Expectancy

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We've been boondocking this week and putting 4 to 6 hrs a day on the generator. I got to wondering what kind of life expectancy the Onan/Cummins 5500 offers. Anyone actually had one wear out?

porthole

Retired
Thanks for the input but I don't see a gasoline air-cooled engine going that long.

600+ and still going strong, when it isn't cranky with the fuel shut off solenoid.

And the next trailer will also have a liquid fueled genset.

esscobra

I installed the 7k fuel injected unit in mine in march - has 170 hrs on it now- we have a cummins/onam shop near me that's been there 30+ years - I went to ask about cooling and air temps like in guide - and parts and service guys pointed me to a guy in back of shop in small office- they said hes a gen expert- he said change the oil- get the valves check/adjusted like in manual and he said outside rats/bugs and lack of maintence or non use- it will run probably longer than you will have unit- he said if unit doesn't shut off - I shouldn't worry about the temp of unit - he said it will let you know you've got issues- iused all summer at races in texas in 100 temps for days straight - couldn't be happier - the biggest problems on generators come from lack of use

vakthund

We use the 5500 running straight for long weekends with no issues (other than bad electrical connections). We maintain it well, use it frequently, and it has been rock solid. Not even a hiccup. Ran in 95 degree heat at heavy load (both A/C units and my mobile kitchen) for three days straight. Diesel could probably last 10-15K+ but i would not expect gasoline to last more than 5-6K hrs. I have heard (in forums) of people with 7,000+ hours but I'm not sure I would trust it at that point. For my use, 6K hours would mean 12 - 14 years.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
We use the 5500 running straight for long weekends with no issues (other than bad electrical connections). We maintain it well, use it frequently, and it has been rock solid. Not even a hiccup. Ran in 95 degree heat at heavy load (both A/C units and my mobile kitchen) for three days straight. Diesel could probably last 10-15K+ but i would not expect gasoline to last more than 5-6K hrs. I have heard (in forums) of people with 7,000+ hours but I'm not sure I would trust it at that point. For my use, 6K hours would mean 12 - 14 years.
Have you paid enough attention to fuel consumption to see how close it comes to the published numbers? There is a definite difference in consumption depending on the electrical load as the numbers suggest. I just haven't used it enough to tell how close mine compares to the book. I'm sure consumption will be a bit higher for the first few hours too.

carl.swoyer

We've been boondocking this week and putting 4 to 6 hrs a day on the generator. I got to wondering what kind of life expectancy the Onan/Cummins 5500 offers. Anyone actually had one wear out?
My Onan genset lp 5500 Marquis is ten years old. Just keep up with the periodic maintenance. I transferred it from my 07 cedar Creek into my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Have you paid enough attention to fuel consumption to see how close it comes to the published numbers? There is a definite difference in consumption depending on the electrical load as the numbers suggest. I just haven't used it enough to tell how close mine compares to the book. I'm sure consumption will be a bit higher for the first few hours too.

I haven't kept exact detailed data and don't see a need to, but my basic data for each of the Dover race weeks we have attended for the last 7 years puts us right around .4 - .5 gallons per hour average.

vakthund

We did in the beginning. We ran between .6 and .8 gal/hr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

My Onan genset lp 5500 Marquis is ten years old. Just keep up with the periodic maintenance. I transferred it from my 07 cedar Creek into my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel.

I can get 8 to 9 hours run time on 1 fourty lb LP tank