Generator question

Dmetcalf

Our power went out the other day due to a transformer issue. It was pushing 90 degrees out so I fired up the generator and attempted to run two of my three ac units and it kept kicking a 30 amp breaker on the generator..? Shouldn’t it run two ac units ..? Onan 5500

jmarnell

I have run two of our AC units while on generator, so yes the Onan should handle it. Our 4005 has the same Onan 5500 unit. The only time I had a problem was when I forgot to turn off the AC units before firing up the generator. When I started the generator, both AC's tried to start at the same time and it threw the breakers on the generator. So now I'm careful to make sure the AC's are turned off first, and then after the generator has come up to speed I start one AC at a time.

6.7LMegaCab

Our power went out the other day due to a transformer issue. It was pushing 90 degrees out so I fired up the generator and attempted to run two of my three ac units and it kept kicking a 30 amp breaker on the generator..? Shouldn’t it run two ac units ..? Onan 5500
Since you have 3 units, I'm guessing you have a toy hauler?

There should be one AC unit on one leg of your breaker panel. Two ACs will be on the other leg.

The master bedroom should be on one leg without another unit (such as the main living area). If the two units you are attempting to run is on the same leg, it will flip the 30A breaker on the generator. It is typically the startup up of the AC units that need the additional amps, but once running, the single 30A might be able to handle it.

I recommend looking into SoftStartRV. I installed them on the two units my TH has and it definitely made a difference.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Freedom

Since you have 3 units, I'm guessing you have a toy hauler?

There should be one AC unit on one leg of your breaker panel. Two ACs will be on the other leg.

The master bedroom should be on one leg without another unit (such as the main living area). If the two units you are attempting to run is on the same leg, it will flip the 30A breaker on the generator. It is typically the startup up of the AC units that need the additional amps, but once running, the single 30A might be able to handle it.

I recommend looking into SoftStartRV. I installed them on the two units my TH has and it definitely made a difference.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk
Hey everyone! I have a Landmark 2021, (365 Tucson). Just installed washer dryer, it has 3 AC’s with soft start, two are heat pumps, anyone have a recommendation on size of generator. There is a limited space in front but would consider modification to make more room if required.

carl.swoyer

Set each ac at different temperatures. This will keep them from cycling on at the same time.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk