Geo caching

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Do we have any Geo caching folks out there. I made my first find several days ago at Thousand Trails Lake Conroe. I am just getting started doing it. Kindof interesting. I go an app for my I phone which gives you directions and lists of all of the caching in your area. Even has a compass that tells you how many feet you are from it when you get close. Cool.....:D

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Jim
I am a member of the geo cache web site. I don't have a GPS to Geo Cache yet.
Which one are you using...

This is one I had been looking at.
Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Color GPS

I want a hand held but I also want one that will give me the altitude.

BC

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, if you ever get out to Calif. There lots of cach's out in the high desert areas close to us. Bob:D

jmgratz

I actually have been using my I phone. There is a geo-cach application that you can download. The app gives you a listing of cachs close to your location, allows you to save them, then displays them on a map. You can follow the map to the cach. When you get close to it you can load a compass which displays the compass and how many feet you are from the cach. It will also give you basic information about the cach i.e. difficulty, what it is in (ammo can etc) and other basic info about it. What I like about the app is it will display the cachs on a satelite map, hybrid map or drawn map. I looked at the online site but haven't joined it yet, but plan to.

h20skih

Geo caching can be alot of fun. We have found quite a few here in Colo. on our camp trips. Make sure if you find one, you log it on the web site to update info. Some people have been from along ways away. Kinda Cool!:cool:

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We haven't done any in the last year or so but have had fun with it before. We still get the monthly newletter through the website. Our new Magellan Maestro 4350 has the option to give you directions to co-ordinates. It will guide you to the closest street, park you and guide you on foot to the co-ordinates. It may be pretty cool with the new GPS. Maybe we could have a section in the forum for it? Or just continue in this section.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
That would be a good section for Geo Caching. I know I would look it over. I am intrested in learning to do caching.

BC

2010augusta

I had a smaller garmin hand held color unit, but it never seemed to work right and I really wanted one that could do navigation and routing. Last year I bought a Garmin Nuvi 750 and it is great. My DW has a Nuvi 260 too. Both work on foot and in the truck. I love the large screen. If it weren't 104 degrees here I might try to take the dogs out and do some geo-caching.

brunsje

Our daughter, Coastiegirl04 in the geocaching world, has been caching for years. She has placed caches in Wisconsin, Louisiana, and Ohio (our front yard for one) where she has been stationed with the Coast Guard. We have often been caching with her -- it is a lot of fun. Hope to get into it more ourselves when we retire next year and become semi-full-time RVrs.

Lilywhite

We have been Geocaching for years. Its a lot of fun and a good family activity. My husband is looking for a new hand held as ours is getting old and he really likes to get new toys (not to mention that one of his friends just got a new one and it has more bells and whistles). We make a point of looking up caches for areas that we are traveling to - various places in Canada and the US.

A fun way to spend a day and get to see areas of towns you might not see.

Jody

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
What's even more fun are the looks you get from people that are trying to figure out what the heck you're doing.

Motair

The wife and I have been geocaching since 2003. Before we take the 5er out on a trip, I make a point of downloading the caches in the area where going, and upload the the info to the GPS, and laptop. I know what you mean about funny looks. I have had an Oregon State Trooper asking what I was doing. I explained it to him, then he started helping me looking for the cache.

Last edited:

happycampernc

I would be one of the people looking at you and wondering the same thing. A few of the children in the local elementary school got a chance to do some geo cacheing and I still have no clue.

jmgratz

Basicly Geo-caching is treasure hunting. There are 'treasures' placed throughout the world and clues are out there for you to find the treasures. Most are trinkets, but you never know. The fun is in the hunt for it.

slick42

I have been Caching with a friend and thought it was way cool!!! A tip for newbees is bring alot of water and depending on where you are BUG SPRAY !!!! :>)
I am going to download the app onto my Iphone and try it for myself. Should I download a free one or which one should I use??

I have been caching with my Grand Daughter (Christa's Cache) on the web site. She has placed about 6 in the mountains of Idaho, and everytime we traverl I look up hides where we are going. It is fun unless you have to walk miles and then it gets to be nap time

jmgratz

There is a good article about Geocaching in the Escapees magazine. Also there is a new Geocaching BOF for Escapees.

olcoon

My wife & I have been geocaching for a few years, and really enjoy it. We've done it in a few states. Haven't been able to go for about 3 years because of my physcial problems, but thanks to modern medicine that should be taken care of not.
We are awaiting the delivery of our first RV, and we both just retired, so look out caches!!! About the funniest thing that happened to us was we were looking for one, and finally found it in an old ammo can, bad thing was a family of possums had taken up residence under it! Got them to leave & logged the cache! We've got an older Garmin Map76S that we use.