Geo Method

scottyb

I read about the Geo Method in another thread a while back. I bookmarked the web site and looked for some Calgon a couple times unsuccessfully. I thought I would give it a try some day. On our last outing, we were getting a lot of odor from the bathroom so I decided to check it out again. The topics with this title are old and closed so I thought I would start a new one.

I have located Calgon at Amazon, but it seems rather expensive (34.99 for 2 x 40oz). There is another product called Rain Drops for less than 1/3 the price (10.16 for 2 x 44 oz). It also has good reviews including an RV'er. I remembered that the author stated that any water softener would work but may be slower to dissolve. Anybody have experience with anything other than Calgon?

Another question. Do you use it along with laundry detergent every time after dumping and you never use any toilet chems? What are your opinions about this method?

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I do the LQ calgon we get it at Walmart for 5.00 bucks. You can also use20 Mule team borax it works the same way got it at Walmart too..

Snow

I used the Calgon bath oil beads and it seemed to work , I got a lot of nasty looking stuff when I dumped I went about 50 miles , after I saw what came out got me thinking about my flushing so iam doing a better job of that and it's not been bad at all since then , I think flushing made the difference , I baught a see through valve so I cann see when it's clean now ,I wasn't flushing near enough before , ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

chiefneon

Howdy!

We been using the Geo Method for the last seven years of fulltiming. Never use anything else works great no need for anything else.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'm able to get Calgon at local stores but have been wondering about 20 Mule Teem Borax as a sub. It's definitely cheaper.
I use about a cup of Dawn dish soap rather than laundry soap. I do add 4oz of Odorlos too.
The whole idea of the GEO method is to have something in the holding tank water that will try to reduce surface tension and make it more difficult for any solids to adhere to the tank. Any products that do that by nature are sure to help, at least to some degree!

Last edited:

szewczyk_john

I have ben using the GEO method for years. I only use calgon liquid water softener(have not seen the powder form) added after each dump and flush were we know that we will not be using the unit for a while like at the end of a trip. If we dump in the middle of a camping trip, we do not use it. I try to alternate between dawn dish soap and a powered laundry soap every time I dump my tanks. I routinely use bleach when the tanks are half full.

I have not had any issues or odors. I do a good flushing at the end of each trip.

goldenbetty

goldenbetty
We use 1cup liquid laundry detergent, 1 cup 20 Mule Team Borax, 1 cup bleach. This is the third treatment and some improvement is evident. Work in progress. Flush at least 3 times.

scottyb

I have some of the Rain Drops I mentioned, coming from Amazon (free 2 day shipping). I just dumped and flushed and then filled the tank about 1/2 full of water and a cup of clorox. I am going to add the watersoftener and detergent and leave everything in it until I reach my overnight stop in 10 days. I think I will repeat the process when I leave the next morning. Does anyone do this for the kitchen gray tank?

danemayer

I've used the GEO method on both gray tanks once or twice. Don't need it as much as the black tank does.

We also use a strainer on the kitchen sink to reduce the food going down the drain. And we don't pour leftover milk or other liquids down the drain.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Here is the article on the Geo Method. I have been using it on my North Trail since new and never had a smell.

The Geo Method
official homepage

Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance
Using Water Softener, Laundry Detergent, and Chlorine Bleach

Regarding E-Mail
I welcome pertinent e-mail. However, if your question is addressed in the article then I don't respond. All the obvious questions are covered.

To download the article for printing or posting click the link below:
geomethod.txt

Links:
I've included links to detergent and chlorine bleach information to dispel ignorant claims that these products are harmful for use as I've suggested in the article, or are otherwise ineffective. However, although it is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness, a blind man will never see no matter how many candles are lighted.

Calgon Water Softener
Mechanical Water Softening - Wikipedia
How Does Chlorine Bleach Work?
How Sewer and Septic Systems Work
Clorox - Understanding Bleach
How Detergent Works
Detergent - Wikipedia
Development of the Detergent Industry

::::::::::::::::::
Grillmeister Laboratories

The Geo Method
By Charles Bruni
cbruni@gmail.com
Cabot, Arkansas
U.S.A.
RV owners should be concerned with maintaining its wastewater tanks. Problems with wastewater tanks can and should be avoided. Wastewater tank repair is expensive. Due to health concerns, many service facilities will not work on wastewater tanks and lines until the tanks have been completely emptied and sanitized. This may be quite difficult when the tank(s) is in need of repair. So, common sense dictates that the tanks should be kept relatively clean at all times. Additionally, improper use of the wastewater tanks can lead to a build up of solid wastes, which in itself may cause the system to fail.
I've discovered very simple, effective, and inexpensive methods of maintaining my wastewater tanks in a relatively clean condition at all times. I developed these methods myself through my understanding of chemistry, physics, and biology with a smidgen of common sense thrown in for good measure. I also read my RV owner's manual. Although we are not full time RVers we use our fifth wheel camper at least one weekend a month. We never use public bathing and toilet facilities. In other words, our wastewater tanks are fairly heavily used. Since I've met a number of RVers who don't seem to know how to maintain their wastewater tanks I thought many RVers would find my tips useful. If you have not been maintaining your tanks I believe you will be pleasantly surprised the first time you employ these tips. I do these things and they work.
RVs are equipped with waste water HOLDING tanks; NOT septic tanks. Those holding tanks are nothing more than chamber pots. Chamber pots should be cleaned and sanitized after their contents are disposed of. The Geo Method is based on this fact.

1. DUMP A FULL TANK
When you are camping and your RV is connected to a sewer/septic intake, leave the drain valves closed until the tank is full and ready to dump. Dumping a full tank provides a sufficient quantity of water to flush solids from the tank. Leaving the drain valves open allows the water to drain off without flushing out solid waste. That solid waste will collect in the tank(s) and cause problems over time. If your tanks are not full when you are ready to dump them, fill them with fresh water first, and then dump them.

2. DUMP TANKS IN ORDER FROM DIRTIEST TO CLEANEST
In other words, dump the black (commode) water tank first, then dump the galley tank, then dump the bathroom tank. This way you will be flushing out the dirtiest water with progressively cleaner water.

3. USE WATER SOFTENER, DETERGENT, and CHLORINE BLEACH
This stuff is amazing and it works. Buy a couple of boxes of powdered water softener at the grocery store. You'll find it located with or near the laundry detergent products. I prefer Calgon Water Softener because it dissolves quickly in water. Cheaper water softeners work just as well but dissolve more slowly. Dissolve two (2) cups of the water softener in a gallon of hot water. Then, pour the solution down the drain into the empty tank. Use two cups of softener for each wastewater tank in your RV. The tank's drain valve should be closed otherwise the softened water will just drain out. Then use the tank(s) normally until it is full and drain it normally. Add a cup of laundry detergent to the black (commode) water tank at the same time you add water softener. This will help clean the tank. The gray water tanks should already contain soap through normal use. Water softener makes the solid waste let go from the sides of the tanks. If you've ever taken a shower in softened water you know that after rinsing the soap from your body your skin will feel slick. That's because all the soap rinses away with soft water. Softened water also prevents soap scum from sticking in the tub. Get the connection? With softened water gunk washes away instead of sticking. The same thing applies to your RV's wastewater tanks

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
For those of you who use the GEO method, I can't find the powdered Calgon, but can find the liquid. I'm seeing two cups of the powdered added to a gallon of water. How much of the liquid Calgon would you use in its place?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Not sure of the powder to liquid conversion, but I would think one cup would be sufficient. I get the powder at the Commissary and also have seen it at Walmart.
Good luck.

olcoon

I've gotten it at Walmart also, usually have to look hard for it, seems like they like to hide it! Also them having it is kind of spotty, sometimes they'll have it sometimes they won't.

scottyb

I had let mine get in pretty poor shape (learning curve) before I started using this method. Once everything is nice and clean, or if you are starting out new, I don't think 2 cups is necessary. It can get pretty expensive. I have not been able to find the powder but the liquid seems to do fine. Now, I am using two CAPS of the liquid and two CAPS of cheap laundry detergent. To me one of the most valuable statements in his method is "use plenty of water". I never start out with less than 5 gallons in the tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
For those of you who use the GEO method, I can't find the powdered Calgon, but can find the liquid. I'm seeing two cups of the powdered added to a gallon of water. How much of the liquid Calgon would you use in its place?

I don't think they make the original powdered Calgon, anymore. I'm still working on the case (12 boxes) I bought online a couple of years ago, but even that source doesn't have it. I think I've read some folks have used the 20 Mule Team powder with similar results.

I occasionally "cheat" and use one of the "green" packets instead of the Calgon. When my sister sold her old rig, she gave me a full package of them. Regardless of the method, plenty of water will keep you out of trouble.

kowAlski631

We make sure we have at least 3 gallons of water in the tank before anyone uses the facilities. We use the geo method the majority of the time and clean the tank thoroughly after dumping. We've managed by doing this to avoid any dried boulders in the black tank.

katkens-DW

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired

I use the liquid and I put 2 caps full in to 2 gallon of water with 1 cup of laundry soap.