Getting a Refund on an Extended Warranty?

2PawsRiver

We bought our first RV 11 months ago. The research I did said to skip the extended warranty, but my wife disagreed.....she coordinated it and we wound up with an extended warranty. Since we are coming up on the end of our manufacturers warranty I figured I would get it out and brush the dust off it, since the manufacturers warranty was so easy to work with (NOT)...the things I wanted to make sure we were covered on...roof, leveling system, slide outs and walls....and after close review.....none of them are covered.

My hopes are we can cancel the extended warranty and get our money back.......anybody have any experience doing this.

Virgil

Re: Getting a Refund

We bought our first RV 11 months ago. The research I did said to skip the extended warranty, but my wife disagreed.....she coordinated it and we wound up with an extended warranty. Since we are coming up on the end of our manufacturers warranty I figured I would get it out and brush the dust off it, since the manufacturers warranty was so easy to work with (NOT)...the things I wanted to make sure we were covered on...roof, leveling system, slide outs and walls....and after close review.....none of them are covered.

My hopes are we can cancel the extended warranty and get our money back.......anybody have any experience doing this.

I highly doubt that you'll get a refund. Let us know how things turn out..

jnbhobe

You may get a prorated refund like you can get with a car warranty depends on the company. I have been able to do it on a few trucks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired

We cashed in the balance of our extended warranty on our first BH. As mentioned it was prorated and in our case because it was included in the loan amount that refund went to the lender and reduced the loan balance due. If the camper had been paid off then the extended warranty refund of course would have been returned directly to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired

Most have a prorated cancellation policy and if you have not used it, you get back most if not all of your money, but you will have to read your contract to know for sure.

Rod

MTPockets

Extended warranties are a waste; “unless you are full time, then maybe.” We did have extended warranty as full timers and it did pay back for us what we paid when we needed to replace our convection microwave and two dump valves. For us, it was a wash.

jerryjay11

Just got our money prorated refunded back. We had a Good Sam RV Extended Warranty and after reading an article in RV Travel mag, I was able to get a form and instructions how to fill it out. Check was sent to the bank which lowered our loan by approx. $2100, saving me the interest on it as well. Didn't see since to continue paying interest on an extended warranty for a product that may or may not pay out due to the requirements of record keeping, and maintaining their schedule, that of which I don't have a knack for. Most work I can do myself. If you have a GS warranty this is the link: https://www.rvtravel.com/get-money-back-now-on-your-camping-world-extended-warranty/

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
After finding out how worthless RV extended warranties are when they left me hanging high and dry 1000 miles from home with a $1000 repair bill (which was just a band aid fix to get me back on the road), and then later after finding out the root cause of the issue when I got home, they offered up $150 toward the remaining $3000 bill once I paid the $150 deductible (yes, that's $150 deductible).

I told the warranty company in not so nice words to keep their $150 bucks...

This TT was only two years old, so still had three years remaining on the dealership-sold extended warranty (was RV America...now LazyDays RV)...

Read the fine print to find the back-out clause (it was there, but not very easy to find) which told me to contact the selling dealership and get the ball rolling...to which they really tried to talk me out of it (to no avail).

Took about three weeks to get the check from the warranty company (still had a loan on that trailer), found my current Heartland Prowler (at a different dealership about 10 miles from the other dealership) and used the money from the warranty company as a down payment on said Prowler...had the other TT fixed and traded it in for the Prowler one week later.

By the way...did not get an extended warranty on the Prowler...it is now four years old and have not needed an extended warranty once on it.

Last edited:

2PawsRiver

Well it took a few days, but we finally managed to speak with the woman who sold us the extended warranty at Lakeshore RV in Muskegon. We will be getting a refund minus about 400 dollars since we used almost one year of the warranty. When we bought the warranty I asked specifically if it starts on the day of purchase or after the one year warranty that came with the rig and of course it started after our one year warranty. Of course when we get our refund, it started on the day we purchased it......funny how that works.

Reaffirms my first rule to being happy with an RV purchase, understand that all salespeople are nice and will say whatever needs to be said to speed you along down that purchase road.

madaysia

Hello all. My wife and I are new to RVing and recently purchased our first 5th wheel, 2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000 HD. I’m not usually big on warranties but figured I’d better jump on this one as the sales pitch was pretty darn good. So we purchased a platinum level package through Protective. Has anyone ever dealt with this company?