GFCI circuit.

Curt_Hinson

After at least 5 times in the repair shop, my GFCI plug built into the bottom of my cabinets over the kitchen sink works if I remove my refrigerator and run it separately with an outside cord. Long story short, the repair shops all said that the circuit was fixed and everything operational. One shop actually put two GFCI plugs under the cabinets. I have determined that the circuit is a 15 amp circuit wired into a GFCI plug, then over to another wall plug under the same set of cabinets. From there I have no knowledge where it goes before it is wired into my dishwasher and refrigerator. If I plug the refrigerator back into it's original plug, the GFCI plug pops. I unplug the refrigerator and reset the GFCI, both plugs are operational as well as my dishwasher. It will still kick one or several days, but will allow a reset at any time after it pops.

Long story short. Shortly after I bought the unit, my wife moved the toaster over to the corner of the counter and plugged it into the plug nearest under the cabinets. That should have been a reasonable action because you can cook toast while cooking breakfast. We eventually had to move the toaster over to a spot on the short table (not expanded). Evidently, the refridgerator came on one time while cooking toast and it fried the plug behind the dishwasher and refrigerator. There is another 15 Amp Circuit breaker right beside the active one which is unused.

I am a pretty good mechanic, but pulling the dishwasher which probably also requires the gas stove burners to be removed has me puzzled. I am pretty sure that a plug (or plugs) will have to be replaced especially since all plugs in a camper are those dumb push a wire through the prongs.

Has anyone ever pulled a dishwasher. If so, how difficult is it. The reason I don't like the possibility of having to remove the stove is the fact I don't like working with gas. Shortly after I bought the camper, I was cooking eggs and danged if I didn't have a fire on the front burner with nothing on it. I turned off all gas and to my surprise, the front burner gas supply line had pulled back and gas was feeding a flame on the front burner. I was able to push it back onto the burner connector, but I check it all the time.

I may have to run an individual circuit from the fuse panel thru the belly and up to a plug for the refrigerator.

Curt

Fox

I'm confused by all you explain - perhaps it's due to my being liquored up (with cheap whiskey).

However IF your fridge has an internal electrical leak then the ground fault is doing its job, kicking off the power. Beyond that I'm unsure - and headed to bed.

War Eagle!

hoefler

If you fried the plug for the dish washer, that plug has a loose/bad connection at that point. I would start investigateing that plug.

wdk450

Did the repair shop test the individual devices plugged into the circuit for electrical leakage?

Curt_Hinson

If I plug the refrigerator into its original plug, the GFCI circuit will pop.
If I unplug the refrigerator, the GFCI plug and the secondary plug plus the dishwasher will work. It may work for one hour or one week.
If I plug the refrigerator into a Short cable GFCI or if I simply plug the refrigerator into an extension cord, the refrigerator works as it should.
I am positive that I need to check the back of the plugs that the dish washer and refrigerator are plugged into.
My only problem is pulling the dishwasher out to get to the plugs.
I was looking for expertise on pulling the dishwasher out.

I am not going to put the camper back in any shop since I have done so with about 5 of them so far. Each has informed me that the system works when it obviously does not. I am not under warranty so I pay big bucks to Camping World (Now Gander) or I fix the dang thing myself, or not use the dishwasher. I can hobble by with the refrigerator plugged into an external plug or let it run 24/7 on gas. That ain't gonna happen. The only thing that worries me is the gas range (stove for you southern boys) on top of the dishwasher may have to be removed to get the dishwasher out. I am not afraid of gas or electricity, but I darn sure respect it.

Curt

wdk450

Curt:
The GFCI will trip on a TOTAL leakage of 5 mA. The leakage in the circuit adds up. In my experience in dealing with the much lower electrical leakage standards of hospital equipment I didn't see plugs/outlets as sources of electrical leakage. Most often it was deteriorated heating elements in water.

danemayer

Let's assume for a minute that the repair shops tested everything and it all actually did work without any problems. That would lead to asking what might be different between their test and yours. External power is one obvious possibility.

If you have an on-board generator, see if the problem occurs with the generator supplying power.

carl.swoyer

If I plug the refrigerator into its original plug, the GFCI circuit will pop.
If I unplug the refrigerator, the GFCI plug and the secondary plug plus the dishwasher will work. It may work for one hour or one week.
If I plug the refrigerator into a Short cable GFCI or if I simply plug the refrigerator into an extension cord, the refrigerator works as it should.
I am positive that I need to check the back of the plugs that the dish washer and refrigerator are plugged into.
My only problem is pulling the dishwasher out to get to the plugs.
I was looking for expertise on pulling the dishwasher out.

I am not going to put the camper back in any shop since I have done so with about 5 of them so far. Each has informed me that the system works when it obviously does not. I am not under warranty so I pay big bucks to Camping World (Now Gander) or I fix the dang thing myself, or not use the dishwasher. I can hobble by with the refrigerator plugged into an external plug or let it run 24/7 on gas. That ain't gonna happen. The only thing that worries me is the gas range (stove for you southern boys) on top of the dishwasher may have to be removed to get the dishwasher out. I am not afraid of gas or electricity, but I darn sure respect it.

Curt
i would suggest steer clear of gander / camping would.
horrible service department.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk