Ghostbusters needed - Ghost in the machine (Any replacement for the membrane/capacitance key thermostat)?

Hi:

My Fuel 250 has it's 2nd 'touch' type thermostat. I'm not a fan of this thermostat,
it's tough to use as it doesn't always register the touch, etc. I'd rather one with
mechanical buttons.

My issue is this - In the summer, several times I didn't touch the thermostat, but it
would go off, change temp, etc. if I was near it (maybe static). Ok, not a big deal.

Now it's winter, and maybe 2 months ago, I go inside, and the heat is on (I didn't leave it on),
it somehow turned itself on.

It's under a 25' x 50' roof with no sides that's attached to a barn. Today I'm in the barn
and hear what sounds like a fan - No fan in the barn. I go outside and the fan on the 250
is on - I go in, and the A/C is on!!!! Nuts. Yes, everything was off when I left it. So I took
out the stupid fuse so the console is off. In the past week it's been from -18 to 42 and I only
think it's been on a day or two (I'm near it often and think I'd hear the fan) but I'm not sure.
We did have a power hit, but I would think given it's 12v and the battery is charged that
wouldn't affect it.

1. Has anyone else had this issue with these thermostats?
2. Is there a mechanical button replacement available - If so links would be appreciated.

I really don't want to pull the fuse every time I leave the trailer for a day or two in the summer -
Winter it's not so bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi:

My Fuel 250 has it's 2nd 'touch' type thermostat. I'm not a fan of this thermostat,
it's tough to use as it doesn't always register the touch, etc. I'd rather one with
mechanical buttons.

My issue is this - In the summer, several times I didn't touch the thermostat, but it
would go off, change temp, etc. if I was near it (maybe static). Ok, not a big deal.

Now it's winter, and maybe 2 months ago, I go inside, and the heat is on (I didn't leave it on),
it somehow turned itself on.

It's under a 25' x 50' roof with no sides that's attached to a barn. Today I'm in the barn
and hear what sounds like a fan - No fan in the barn. I go outside and the fan on the 250
is on - I go in, and the A/C is on!!!! Nuts. Yes, everything was off when I left it. So I took
out the stupid fuse so the console is off. In the past week it's been from -18 to 42 and I only
think it's been on a day or two (I'm near it often and think I'd hear the fan) but I'm not sure.
We did have a power hit, but I would think given it's 12v and the battery is charged that
wouldn't affect it.

1. Has anyone else had this issue with these thermostats?
2. Is there a mechanical button replacement available - If so links would be appreciated.

I really don't want to pull the fuse every time I leave the trailer for a day or two in the summer -
Winter it's not so bad.

Where did this get moved to?