Glad this trip is over

FARMER45

At buffalo gap state park this weekend, I jackeknifed my rv backing into a tight spot, and broke out the back glass on chev. You would think after 30 years of doing this I would know better.
Next leaving today I pulled over to the left to get around a guy hooking up, my air conditioner found a high tree limb totaled it. At least it did not hit trailer. Glad to get home in one piece

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ouch! Sorry to hear! We drove through that park last weekend just in our truck, and I commented how they need to trim some of the branches overhanging the roads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alwaysbusy

Our pride is what hurts the most. Last trip I looked down and found I only had 50 miles left in fuel. I didn't realize it as I was just sitting back on cruise coasting up the highway. I said to wife, "surely there's got to be a Flying J or Pilot within 50 miles." She pulls her IPad up and says in a positive manner "yep, 54 miles from here." Ended up having to use a small hole in the wall service station which was really tight. When pulling out, had to cut it sharp to get around a Ford Mustang who parked close to my TV to fill up. I turned right, back end of coach went left, some guy flags me down and says I'm on the steel bollard which serves to protect the pumps. And here I thought I was clear, never even felt it. Nonetheless, got some skirting/paint work needing done now. Towed stuff for a long time, but yep, on this day I wasn't thinking. It happens, but thank God both you and your family are not injured and your safe. Things could be worse.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our pride is what hurts the most. Last trip I looked down and found I only had 50 miles left in fuel. I didn't realize it as I was just sitting back on cruise coasting up the highway. I said to wife, "surely there's got to be a Flying J or Pilot within 50 miles." She pulls her IPad up and says in a positive manner "yep, 54 miles from here."

On our way home from South Dakota two years ago last week (the day before the Sturgis Rally started) as we were rolling through Chadron, Nebraska, I wanted to stop and fill up, but the only station I saw had a huge line of RV's and Harley's that ran out in the street and around the corner, and since we still had 3/4 of a tank of gas (at least 200 miles worth) and an estimated 85 miles to the next town, I thought 'No problemo!'.

Well, as we headed south toward Colorado we encountered a strong headwind as strong storms were rolling in south of us.

To make an even longer story short . . . we ran out of gas 17 miles shy of Alliance, Nebraska . . . first and only time we ever used our Good Sam's Roadside Assistance (was amazed we had cell service out there).

Here is a shot of us waiting for the gas to arrive:

OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

As it turns out it was a good thing we ran out of gas as we had a nice 1 1/2 hour lunch break in the trailer, plus we missed out on a bad hail storm that surely would have caused some major damage to the truck and the Trail Runner.

alwaysbusy

If nothing else John, us telling on ourselves will make Don feel better! Later down the road, all this stuff makes us all laugh looking back.

JohnD

If nothing else John, us telling on ourselves will make Don feel better! Later down the road, all this stuff makes us all laugh looking back.

How about this one . . .

First night home when we bought the Trail Runner as I was leveling the trailer in the side yard for the first time, I had the rear scissor jacks down and (stupidly) decided to give the tongue crank a little extra snug to sturdy it up before I dropped the front scissor jacks.

That extra 'snug' snapped one of the rear jacks right in half ($100 to replace).

FARMER45

When me or one of my friends go on a trip, we always ask what they tore up, when they get back. I hadn't had a story in a long time.

JohnD

When me or one of my friends go on a trip, we always ask what they tore up, when they get back. I hadn't had a story in a long time.
Guess you'll have a new one for them now. :eek:

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Mattman

I would still be nervous. Everything like that for me seems to come in 3's. I might have a story tommorow trying to leave the Travers city state park. Don't think I'll stay here agan..

alwaysbusy

How about this one . . .

First night home when we bought the Trail Runner as I was leveling the trailer in the side yard for the first time, I had the rear scissor jacks down and (stupidly) decided to give the tongue crank a little extra snug to sturdy it up before I dropped the front scissor jacks.

That extra 'snug' snapped one of the rear jacks right in half ($100 to replace).

I should start this by saying "one time at band camp." When we owned our TT, ended up one time on a site that was really kattywompus. Back then I would only chock wheels in the direction the TT would be inclined to roll once unhooked. On this particular site, I stood back and said to myself......"self, the trailer will roll towards the TV and thus the front of the TT is lower than the rear, it needs chocked in the front." So I did so with my father standing behind me saying "looks good son." I placed a pile of lynx levelers (as many as would fit mind you) under the tongue jack and cranked that baby up practically the whole way in order to get it off the ball. With no scissor jacks down, when it cleared.....SURRRRPRISE, SURRRRPRISE! TT rolled backwards, tongue jack came off the levelers and a horrendous crash soon followed as the front of the TT fell to the ground. Believe it or not, all was really good so far...until the wife came out from inside the TT. She still with me, lol. Ever since, I chock wheels in both directions all the time now, regardless of how it appears. The site was like one of those south streets that really runs north ya know. What an idiot I was. Once everything had ended, nothing had broke, everyone was ok and I hear dad from behind me say "still looks good son." LOL, he kills me.

Relayman

Ohhhh man....the last 5er wr had was a 38 ' Fleetwood. 4 slides....Heavy. pulled into site....wasnt level...put 5 plastic leveling blocks under each landing gear...
lifted the 5er up to clear the hitch and realized i needed to block up the left side tires to level it laterally...lowered the 5er a little....thinking "ill just bump er back on the hitch...move forward a little ,place the blocks then put er back" forgot to scotch the wheels. when i moved back to hitch up...the landing gear slid off the blocks....slammed down
on my tailgate..hit the ground with a vengeance...then.......
there was this other sound...
one like I've never heard before.....my wife was in the 5er in the front.....yup she is still with me as well....but i will ALWAYS scotch the wheels no matter what from now on. YIKES.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MurrayN.

For all the years that I've been rving I've always had a 5 gal pail of diesel in the back of my truck. Nice feeling to not to have to worry between stops.

IronJ

Graduated from a tent to a really crappy pop up....(was real proud to show wife!!)

Set it up in driveway and preceded to shuffle wife in to new "luxury" camping...

"See look...a real bed I say!!"

2 people in bed, trailer tips onto bunk, I jump up , it slams back down and rolls to end of driveway.......

We all learn somehow....lol

10 yr anniversary this week for us!....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

JohnD

Hey Farmer45 . . . are we making you feel any better yet?

We've got more, I'm sure . . .

Sawdocmd

My first fiver I smoked the converter/inverter, tv, and micro wave. That was before I ever took it out. Dang 240v generators. Lesson learned the hard way!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattman

Graduated from a tent to a really crappy pop up....(was real proud to show wife!!)

Set it up in driveway and preceded to shuffle wife in to new "luxury" camping...

"See look...a real bed I say!!"

2 people in bed, trailer tips onto bunk, I jump up , it slams back down and rolls to end of driveway.......

We all learn somehow....lol

10 yr anniversary this week for us!....

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Used to snowmobile a lot when younger. I think every one who did has a story similar to this with there trailer. A lot of times it ended with dented bumpers, tail gates, Windows, or D. All of thee above.

FARMER45

If it can happen, sounds like some of us has already done most of it. My was a $ 2300 goof.

Last edited by a moderator: