Golf carts - anyone use one for camping?

porthole

Retired
Curious to know the pitfalls if any. If you use one have you encountered problems at campgrounds?

We have rented carts before during our Labor Day Golden Retriever extravaganza, but the campground is not a regular campground, and they actually make arrangements for cart rental for the long weekend.

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
We own a golf car that we take with us to Ocean Lakes cg in Myrtle Beach,SC.We really enjoy it.This cg requires it to be electric,you must have $10,000.00 liability insurance on it and follow their rules.The biggest draw back I see is actually getting it there.In NC,SC,and other states you cannot tow a trailer behind a fifth wheel(although many people do)Our daughter and son in law pull it to the beach for us.Of course you have the normal up keep.Keeping the batteries charged and in good condition.That has been my experience.

porthole

Retired
We own a golf car that we take with us to Ocean Lakes cg in Myrtle Beach,SC.We really enjoy it.This cg requires it to be electric,you must have $10,000.00 liability insurance on it and follow their rules.The biggest draw back I see is actually getting it there.In NC,SC,and other states you cannot tow a trailer behind a fifth wheel(although many people do)Our daughter and son in law pull it to the beach for us.Of course you have the normal up keep.Keeping the batteries charged and in good condition.That has been my experience.

Getting it there should not be a problem, we have a Cyclone. We just bought a used electric with using it at campgrounds in mind.

Where did you get get the insurance from?

trdeal

Getting it there should not be a problem, we have a Cyclone. We just bought a used electric with using it at campgrounds in mind.

Where did you get get the insurance from?
You are right.A Cyclone is nice.I didn't notice your signature.A swivel wheel would also be nice.I got my insurance through Good Sam(GMAC).I have my auto and Landmark insurance through them as well.The golf car is covered for around $80.00 a year.Ocean Lakes rents them for around $40.00 per day.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Yep - got one of those things called a golf cart which we pull behind the BC. Tennessee is one of those states that allows triple pulls so we pull it about half of the time. Most campgrounds in east TN don't have any problems with outside golf carts being brought in (some charge a $10 fee for storage of the extra trailer). We are going to risk pulling the cart to Edisto Beach state park this coming September. We past a bunch of triples on the interstate which had out of state plates so maybe the HP don't bother out of staters much.

Attachments

• DSCN0305.jpg
    DSCN0305.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0303.jpg
    DSCN0303.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 52

trdeal

Plenty of folks pull into Ocean Lakes from all over the country pulling their golf cars behind their 5th wheels.We have some good friends that have towed that way for years.Last 4th of July they were leaving OL and a trooper stopped them and gave them a $100.00 ticket for that reason.I ask a highway patrol officer about it 2 seasons ago and he said I could with the proper endorsements on my drivers license and that the drivers license examiner could tell me what I needed.The examiner told me she didn't know.She ask the motor carrier officer for NC and he said no.So,who do you listen to.

lwmcguir

Many states require the second trailer to have brakes that are connected and working. Maximum length rules apply as well. Seems like it should be a bit more common state to state.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Yep - got one of those things called a golf cart which we pull behind the BC. Tennessee is one of those states that allows triple pulls so we pull it about half of the time.

Actually what you are talking about is a double tow not a triple tow. A triple tow would be 3 trailers.

Nabo

Jim - I hate to disagree with you but according to the Trailer Life RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory 2010 on pages 24 and 25, it clearly states in the size limits section as "Triple Towing Allowed". They are counting the tow vehicle as one.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim - I hate to disagree with you but according to the Trailer Life RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory 2010 on pages 24 and 25, it clearly states in the size limits section as "Triple Towing Allowed". They are counting the tow vehicle as one.

In my 30 plus years in law enforcement I have never heard of the tow vehicle being counted as part of the triple tow. If that was the case that would mean all of the UPS and FedEx truck hauling 3 trailers would be quadruple towing. Is it possilbe Trailer Life made a mistake? I don't know of any place that allows quadruple towing.

jnbhobe

In my 30 plus years in law enforcement I have never heard of the tow vehicle being counted as part of the triple tow. If that was the case that would mean all of the UPS and FedEx truck hauling 3 trailers would be quadruple towing. Is it possilbe Trailer Life made a mistake? I don't know of any place that allows quadruple towing.
I have to agree with Jim on this one for sure. I have never heard of the tow vehicle being included in a double or triple tow. JON

gpshemi

In Michigan it's called recreational doubles, but then somewhere I read a clarification that said it can be considered doubles or triples depending on the state.
So we all mean the same thing, but it's just terminology getting in the way.

porthole

Retired
OK thread hijackers - the double - triple - quadruple and 10druple towing has been discussed in length elsewhere.

I'm interested in golf cart use at campgrounds, their restrictions, rules etc

Looking for 1st hand advice and comments.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
It's hit and miss on the cart use at campgrounds. Some allow them, some only allow electric, some don't allow any, some only let you rent one of theirs. You just about have to check with each campground to see what their policies are. All the ones I've been to that allow them, require insurance, but I've seen people register that were pulling a cart or had one, and the clerk never asked for proof of insurance. Again - that's just hit and miss.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Personally I would prefer if everybody had electric just for the low noise factor. We have some people at our local campground with some pretty loud gas golf carts and some others with ATV like "golf carts". I could do without the extra noise and fumes.

My 2-cents,
Mark

shriver63

Golf Carts are allowed where we seasonal camp in Central Missouri and at a campground at the Ozarks we are planning to go to this summer to visit friends. Our seasonal spot happens to have a water park next to the premises so it beats firing up the noisey diesel every time we want to run up there. View attachment 7232I made the switch to electric this winter as Congress decided to give a $5335 rebate if I bought an electric golf cart. It is a Star electric golf cart and it is way better quality than my previous Club Car. Most campgrounds require insurance and have limits to if they can run after dark. We can because we have headlights, brake lights, and turn signals. Here's what our's looks like. Hope it fits in the new cyclone

porthole

Retired
The cart we bought is electric. Had I known about the LSV rebates (LSV = low speed vehicle) before the end of 09 I would have seriously looked at getting one. Rebates were as high as $7500 and no sales tax. For 2010 the rebate is just 10 % but still no sales tax.

Since the LSV's start at 8K and go north form there, last years rebates were significant. The rebates were based on several factors with battery capacity and charging options being the major factor.

Many of the LSV's are "street legal" versions of standard golf carts (well slightly more then just an upgrade). That said, had we had one of those the campgrounds would not have much to say other then charging you for an extra vehicle.

Last edited:

shriver63

The cart we bought is electric. Had I known about the LSV rebates (LS = low speed vehicle) before the end of 09 I would have seriously looked at getting one. Rebates were as high as $7500 and no sales tax. For 2010 the rebate is just 10 % but still no sales tax.

Since the LS V's start at 8K and go north form there, last years rebates were significant. The rebates were based on several factors with battery capacity and charging options being the major factor.

Many of the LSV's are "street legal" versions of standard golf carts (well slightly more then just an upgrade). That said, had we had one of those the campgrounds would not have much to say other the charging you for an extra vehicle.

There was tax, title, and liscense fees here in Illinois. You are correct, the tax rebate that ended in 2009 was significant. Most here were buying a Star brand electric golf cart with the front seat and a rear facing seat that looks like a golf cart. It qualified for a $5335.65 rebate and cost $6990 to buy, leaving about $1655 in out of pocket expense for a brand new golf cart

porthole

Retired
Well we used the cart on its first trip with no problems.
Fits in the garage with the bike, little tight but sufficient room.

Hatteras Campground has no issues and offer a "cart pass" at no charge.

Although I think I might be exceeding my pin weight :p

The dogs loved it!

Attachments

• D30_6716_b..JPG
    D30_6716_b..JPG
    295.6 KB · Views: 32
  • D30_6705_b..JPG
    D30_6705_b..JPG
    656.7 KB · Views: 40

Nabo

It was so much fun watching the dogs enjoying being transported around the campground at the Outer Banks. Oh it was also great meeting the 2 of ya'll. BamBam says HI!