Good Sam Roadside Service and Tow Company Vendors

wdk450

Gang:
First of all I am posting this in the Heartland General Area, as I looked around the forum sections for an appropriate area about Prepaid RV Roadside Towing Service, could find no area specific, and found previous posts on the subject in this area.

On Friday, April 30, 2021, I had an incident with my truck travelling unhitched where a hard braking action to avoid an accident caused the diesel engine to stall and the dash gauges to all read 0. I now think that an electrical connector pulled partially apart from the hard braking G forces, but the truck is now in the shop and I will let the pros determine this.
(On edit: the problem was determined to be a hard error code in the computer concerning a power supply voltage being out of spec, although there was no check engine light on - probably due to the fact that none of my dash gauges and readouts worked. The fix was determined to be from service notes to replace both batteries, although the engine cranked vigorously, and reset the computer.
$670 and the radio and cigar lighter are still intermittent. I have an appointment to get the computer reflashed next Wednesday.)

My truck is a 2004 Dodge Ram 3500 2wd crew cab (4 door). After I was stalled out in the wide median of Governor's Street in North San Diego, I called my Good Sam RV Road service. I both entered my data electronically from my smartphone to their supplied webpage connection, and by voice over the phone. I WAITED 90 MINUTES FOR THE FLATBED TOW TO ARRIVE. When the tow service arrived, the driver took a hard look at my truck, called his supervisor, and I was told that what Good Sam was paying them was not enough for a "heavy duty" (standard 1 ton truck), and I would have to pay about $195 extra for a 6 mile tow to my selected service shop. Then Good Sam and the towing company argued for 45 minutes while I waited. Finally Good Sam started calling other towing companies, and I left the truck in the middle of the street with a note for the police. I finally got a call from another towing company's driver saying that he was picking up my truck, and noting that a number of towing companies apparently had been called and refused the job at Good Sam's terms.

This turn of events is disturbing. About 5 years ago Good Sam authorized a tow of my hitched truck and 5th wheel, 58 feet, about 6 miles in Woodland, Ca. with a semi big rig tow truck, with no additional charges. It seems that Good Sam now uses a wholesale towing intermediary, Agero Company, who does this for most all the entities that offer roadside assistance. The tow drivers had little good to say about Agero.

Last edited:

Bogie

Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World/Good Sam is advertising everywhere that "If your not happy, I'm not happy." You may want to give them a call to explain your issue and dissatisfaction?
[h=4](866) 232 - 8990[/h]

wdk450

Marcus Lemonis, CEO of Camping World/Good Sam is advertising everywhere that "If your not happy, I'm not happy." You may want to give them a call to explain your issue and dissatisfaction?
(866) 232 - 8990

I don't know WHO to be unhappy with: Agero, whose phone rep was evidently working from home as I could hear her kid in the background; Good Sam, whose reps seemed to try VERY Hard to make this situation right ( but either DON'T have standing contracts with tow companies, or these contracts aren't honored); or the San Diego area towing industry, who maybe don't honor their contractual commitments, or seem to take every opportunity to try to rip off the end customer.

FYI, after the initial problems with the towing company wanting extra money, I was transferred from the Agero rep to the Good Sam people.

Bogie

I don't know WHO to be unhappy with: Agero, whose phone rep was evidently working from home as I could hear her kid in the background; Good Sam, whose reps seemed to try VERY Hard to make this situation right ( but either DON'T have standing contracts with tow companies, or these contracts aren't honored); or the San Diego area towing industry, who maybe don't honor their contractual commitments, or seem to take every opportunity to try to rip off the end customer.

FYI, after the initial problems with the towing company wanting extra money, I was transferred from the Agero rep to the Good Sam people.

Your contract is with Good Sam. They need to know if their vendor of choice (Agero) is not meeting customer expectations. If you do contact them, be polite, tell them that their rep really tried to help, but their vendor is not meeting expectations. They (Good Sam) don't always know how well or poorly their vendors are preforming unless we, their customers tell them.

chiefneon

Howdy!

I had Good Sam ERS years ago. I dropped them when they refused to pay for a tow sighting I had not contacted them for authorization. I was broke down in the Canadian Yukon no phone service for miles. A RMCP showed up and he even had to call on his radio for tow service. I told them I had to be now towed to Anchorage AK for repairs afterwards and denied that tow also. So after GS cost me a $2,000.00 towing bill I switched to Coach Net. I’ve been towed a couple of times and the only thing asked was where I would like to be towed to by CN. Those tows once in Newfoundland and another in Alaska both times used two tow trucks one for the MDT and another for our large 44’ 5er. I may pay more for CN but I get what I pay for.

” Happy Trails “
Chiefneon

wdk450

Gang:
After my towing service problems last week, I am taking a hard look at which towing service to continue with in light of the fact that my Good Sam contract renews next month. I took a detailed look at the plan brochures listed by Good Sam online, and dug out the following language in the towing section: "The mileage fees for any excess mileage and the fees for additional towing services will be determined and billed directly by the independent service provider at the time of the disablement, and all payment of that additional mileage fee or additional towing service will be paid by the Member directly to the service provider." FEES FOR ADDITIONAL TOWING SERVICES could include a surcharge for heavier (1 ton pickup) vehicles, which according to the plan language I would be responsible for. I am going to call Good Sam and hash this out.

But, what does the rest of the Heartland Owners Brainmass think on the towing service question? With my internet research I have heard of Good Sam, Coachnet, AAA, and other insurance company related towing service deals. I have even heard of establishing your own escrow account to cover any possible towing, but at a premium of $150-$200 a year, I am not sure that this could cover a hitched 5th wheel-truck big rig tow (which I have had before under Good Sam). I would think that the retail fees on that would be around $1000.

Last edited:

ATLJOHN

I had GS towing for years until I needed them. They refused service twice stating they did not have any tow companies in my area. I now have Coach net and they could not be nicer when in time of need. You are correct you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wdk450

I had GS towing for years until I needed them. They refused service twice stating they did not have any tow companies in my area. I now have Coach net and they could be nicer when in time of need. You are correct you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BTW, if GS refused to provide any towing service (since they did not have providers in your area), did they refund your annual premium?

Flick

Gang:
After my towing service problems last week, I am taking a hard look at which towing service to continue with in light of the fact that my Good Sam contract renews next month. I took a detailed look at the plan brochures listed by Good Sam online, and dug out the following language in the towing section: "The mileage fees for any excess mileage and the fees for additional towing services will be determined and billed directly by the independent service provider at the time of the disablement, and all payment of that additional mileage fee or additional towing service will be paid by the Member directly to the service provider." FEES FOR ADDITIONAL TOWING SERVICES could include a surcharge for heavier (1 ton pickup) vehicles, which according to the plan language I would be responsible for. I am going to call Good Sam and hash this out.

But, what does the rest of the Heartland Owners Brainmass think on the towing service question? With my internet research I have heard of Good Sam, Coachnet, AAA, and other insurance company related towing service deals. I have even heard of establishing your own escrow account to cover any possible towing, but at a premium of $150-$200 a year, I am not sure that this could cover a hitched 5th wheel-truck big rig tow (which I have had before under Good Sam). I would think that the retail fees on that would be around $1000.

Wow! This is quite a thread you started few days ago.

We have Good Sam also and when it’s time for renewal, I’ll take a second look at whether I need them. We do get a small discount at RV parks that actually probably pays for my membership during the course of the year. The Camping World discount is worthless to me because I consider Camping World a cuss word. Other than that, if their towing is worthless, at least I don’t need to waste my time calling them.

The good news is that I have 3 other towing options that comes with various other companies I deal with and I’m actually not paying extra for the towing. I’ll renew my phone favorites list and put Good Sam towards the bottom as the last one to call.

Sad thing is, these companies have grown enough that they feel if they lose a few customers, no big deal.
Thanks for the heads up.

wdk450

Wow! This is quite a thread you started few days ago.

We have Good Sam also and when it’s time for renewal, I’ll take a second look at whether I need them. We do get a small discount at RV parks that actually probably pays for my membership during the course of the year. The Camping World discount is worthless to me because I consider Camping World a cuss word. Other than that, if their towing is worthless, at least I don’t need to waste my time calling them.

The good news is that I have 3 other towing options that comes with various other companies I deal with and I’m actually not paying extra for the towing. I’ll renew my phone favorites list and put Good Sam towards the bottom as the last one to call.

Sad thing is, these companies have grown enough that they feel if they lose a few customers, no big deal.
Thanks for the heads up.

Eddie:
Be sure that the other towing service contracts you have will cover RV's, and towables.

centerline

the following has NOTHING whatsoever to do with RV companies, builders, manufactures or repair shops....
but it is about the companies who sell the roadside assistant packages...

being the owner of a company that gets a LOT of calls to come out to assist you by the companies that promised roadside assistance, for the money you pay them, let me give you some details from THIS side of the coin....

they sell a service with every intent to make good on their promise... the problem is, they dont pay enough to make it worth our time....

when its rush hour, it can take an hour to go 10 miles sometimes... the way they pay is based on mileage... not totally, but its a huge factor in the amount they allow....
and they ONLY pay for the "call out".... once we get on site, we are supposed to charge YOU for diagnosing and making the repairs... and for our return trip back to the shop... this is a problem for both you and I...

now... after a couple times of getting shafted by the insurance companies, we dont want to take any more calls from them... so now, they have sold you a policy with a promise of getting a mechanic or tow company to you, BUT, if they cant find anyone, they tell you that there is no one available, but not WHY there is no one is available... so your left to fend for yourself...

in addition, there have been times that we showed up as requested, only to find someone else already there making the repairs.... and the only one who makes the repair gets any payment at all.... so we are left to go home without any compensation for our efforts..

this makes one detest the companies that are offering a roadside assistance policy.....

one way I found to get around the issue, is to charge and exorbitant amount as a call-out fee, and get paid up front... then when we go out to you, I dont have to worry about the traffic delay going to you, or coming back.... AND the good thing is, if its an easy fix, there is enough to cover it so it doesnt cost you a penny... and everyone is happy....

the problem with this is, only about 1 out of every 20 calls will accept our conditions... so you are left setting along the road.

its my opinion that everyone should have a link to truckdown.com to find their OWN repair person in the area, and deal with them directly....

there are a lot of companies selling the RS assistant packages, and there doesnt seem to be one any better than the rest.... they are all in it for the money, and NOT to get you back on the road, but its their promise to you to get the money....

wdk450

the following has NOTHING whatsoever to do with RV companies, builders, manufactures or repair shops....
but it is about the companies who sell the roadside assistant packages...

being the owner of a company that gets a LOT of calls to come out to assist you by the companies that promised roadside assistance, for the money you pay them, let me give you some details from THIS side of the coin....

they sell a service with every intent to make good on their promise... the problem is, they dont pay enough to make it worth our time....

when its rush hour, it can take an hour to go 10 miles sometimes... the way they pay is based on mileage... not totally, but its a huge factor in the amount they allow....
and they ONLY pay for the "call out".... once we get on site, we are supposed to charge YOU for diagnosing and making the repairs... and for our return trip back to the shop... this is a problem for both you and I...

now... after a couple times of getting shafted by the insurance companies, we dont want to take any more calls from them... so now, they have sold you a policy with a promise of getting a mechanic or tow company to you, BUT, if they cant find anyone, they tell you that there is no one available, but not WHY there is no one is available... so your left to fend for yourself...

in addition, there have been times that we showed up as requested, only to find someone else already there making the repairs.... and the only one who makes the repair gets any payment at all.... so we are left to go home without any compensation for our efforts..

this makes one detest the companies that are offering a roadside assistance policy.....

one way I found to get around the issue, is to charge and exorbitant amount as a call-out fee, and get paid up front... then when we go out to you, I dont have to worry about the traffic delay going to you, or coming back.... AND the good thing is, if its an easy fix, there is enough to cover it so it doesnt cost you a penny... and everyone is happy....

the problem with this is, only about 1 out of every 20 calls will accept our conditions... so you are left setting along the road.

its my opinion that everyone should have a link to truckdown.com to find their OWN repair person in the area, and deal with them directly....

there are a lot of companies selling the RS assistant packages, and there doesnt seem to be one any better than the rest.... they are all in it for the money, and NOT to get you back on the road, but its their promise to you to get the money....

So what do you suggest us 5th wheel RV owners do to provide for the possible contingency of a flatbed or big rig tow?

centerline

So what do you suggest us 5th wheel RV owners do to provide for the possible contingency of a flatbed or big rig tow?

im an RVer also, and as i suggested, look at the truckdown.com site... once you get there, put in your city and it will bring up a list of mechanics.... its one of the most popular lists around and its one of the common sites that the insurance companies use to find service providers...

im not suggesting you do anything different than what you are doing now, but im giving the facts to those that arent being taken care of like they think they should be.... because i agree with them.... it may be a waste of money, but then maybe not....

some people are comfortable with paying for a service that may not be needed, and if it is needed, may not be available to them... Im not one of those types of people..

im also an avid boater, and BoatUS will sell you a package for towing, or bringing you some gas or parts if you should break down.... and a lot of people buy these packages year after year, and feel secure in the belief that they are covered for about any problems they could have.... only to find out when they actually do need the service, there are NO service providers in the area.... and so they are left to do the same thing that would of done, if they had NOT of paid all that money over the years.... nobody reimburses you... its a buyer beware type of contract, because no one else is looking out for your best interest....