Gooseneck to 5th Wheel Adapter Input

TerribleTim68

Hey gang, I've searched this forum but only seem to find threads on using something like the Ranch Hitch adapter that converts from 5th wheel to gooseneck, or the Anderson Ultimate setup. My question is different.

Have any of you used the Gooseneck to 5th Wheel adapters such as the B&W or Curt adapters like this -
download.png
You basically stick this in your gooseneck hole and then mount your 5th wheel on these rails.
I recently treaded my truck in and now have a truck with a turnover style gooseneck ball in the bed, but I prefer my 5th wheel and really don't want to convert my trailer to gooseneck. I get that some of you prefer the gooseneck ball, I do not.
So what I'm looking for is some input from someone who has used this setup. Is it good? Can I trust it when towing a Cyclone 4012 (dry weight of 13,700lbs) ? I have concerns about it breaking off at the gooseneck insert, it just seems like a lot of pressure on a fairly small insert, no? And how does it handle rotational forces on that small insert? There doesn't appear to be much holding the rails from twisting. :unsure:
But to convert my truck over would require pulling the bed, pulling the gooseneck mounting system and then installing all new 5th wheel bracketry and rails.

What say you?

Dahillbilly

used the gooseball turnover ( B&W) Companion Slider hitch for several years without any problems pulling 40' toyhauler The B&W was welded & constructed heavy enough for the application mine was a 18k rate hitch.

TerribleTim68

used the gooseball turnover ( B&W) Companion Slider hitch for several years without any problems pulling 40' toyhauler The B&W was welded & constructed heavy enough for the application mine was a 18k rate hitch.
Appreciate the input Robert., that helps me feel a lot better. I think this is the best option for my situation. :cool:

Dahillbilly

Appreciate the input Robert., that helps me feel a lot better. I think this is the best option for my situation. :cool:
Just got new truck & I went with a Curt Crosswing that drops over the gooseball. It's tons LIGHTER than the B&W was; haven't towed witjh it yet I'll be posting more over in the Lippert Communities app after I tow 1250 miles home with that!!! I do like the weight easily removable for one person.

TerribleTim68

So this was a fun one so far. I ordered the Demco gooseneck to 5th wheel base (looks exactly like the above picture, has same dimensions) and found out when it arrived that my 5th wheel won't fit on it. Even tho my 5th wheel is a Pullrite Super 5th, which states on the website "Uses Industry Standard Rails" and the Demco adapter states "Converts to Industry Standard Rails", it wasn't even close. My Super 5th has a rail spread of 24" and a mounting pin spread of 32". the Demco base had a rail spread of 22" and the farthest outboard holes were only 30". I probably could have drilled new pin holes in the rails since there was extra rail there, but the 2" difference in rail spread wasn't gonna matter anyways. So now I'm trying to figure out why my 5th wheel has some odd rail spread when the website says it should be ISR. :unsure:

Luckily, I purchased through Amazon so I have paid to return it. As long as they accept my return I guess I'll at least get the majority of my $700 back. But I still need to find a new option. I'm starting to eyeball the B&W Companion. But my gooseneck plate is a Curt. Do all the square gooseneck shafts match? Can I stick a B&W Companion in a curt square hole? It doesn't appear that Curt makes a Companion style hitch.

TerribleTim68

Contact B and W direct and get your answer. Great customer Service Dept. They will have the answer.
Yeah, I did and they are very clear that from a liability standpoint their answer is "no". They won't say if it will actually work, they just make it very clear that it voids all warrantees and may cause safety issues. You can tell it's a very lawyer-forward answer, if you know what I mean. Even the website states "We do not recommend the use of any product not manufactured by B&W, even if that product specifically states it is compatible with B&W products."

TerribleTim68

Okay, I'll close the chapter on this one. 😉
I found a used B&W Companion hitch for sale, about a 2 hour drive from my house, so we fueled up the truck and drove to see it in person. The seller was more than happy to install it in my gooseneck receiver and show me how everything worked and I gladly paid him his asking price without even haggling a bit. It was a fair price and it installed perfectly. The wife is super happy with it and feels very comfortable with this setup, which is worth something too. -

348425041_788453252995020_8888488051077817827_n-jpg.148382

Back to the house and I pulled the Camco EAZ-Lift gooseneck adapter off my trailer (I had left it on as a last resort) and went ahead and hooked up to the trailer. All went well and it hooks up smooth -

348461199_149211791380293_4747457906560133692_n-jpg.148383

That shot is with the trailer's full weight sitting on the hitch, but I don't have the air bag in the pin box fully aired up yet (it's a "TrailAir" pin box) because my little air pump won't go that high on the air pressure. I got it mostly aired up, but it isn't fully aired up in that pic. For those asking why I needed to air it up at all, I had to deflate the bag to remove the bag to remove the Camco adapter. It's a process, the bag has to be removed to get at the bolts holding the adapter on.
Anyways, we're looking good here, but I will be removing the headache rack because the side rails worry me. I've got a good 7" of clearance at the bed rails to the trailer, but the rails only have about 4" of clearance. And yes, the rails end at the front of the trailer overhang, but if I get in a twist and end up leaning over, bad things could happen so I think I'm just gonna pull it off. I don't really like the look anyways.

So yeah, B&W Companion works in a Curt square-hole gooseneck receiver. 😎
Now to get this thing out on the road so I can see how it pulls this thing.......and also get a decent picture of it all hooked up. 🤣

CherHall

We always used a gooseneck adapter on the king pin of our older smaller 5th wheel and then our regular rollover B/W in the truck. However, we bought a newer bigger 5th wheel and decided to try the companion. It towed AWFUL so we bought an Andersen Ultimate and it tows like a dream.

TerribleTim68

We always used a gooseneck adapter on the king pin of our older smaller 5th wheel and then our regular rollover B/W in the truck. However, we bought a newer bigger 5th wheel and decided to try the companion. It towed AWFUL so we bought an Andersen Ultimate and it tows like a dream.
What do you mean by "towed awful"? What exactly did it do? :unsure:🧐