Got any ideas on this problem?

Mike & Carol

Hey Guys

My son in law is having a problem with his 2005 F250 Powerstroke w/72k miles...here is an email he sent me:

Hey,

Well I had it at the dealer for nearly two weeks. First they said they didn’t know what was wrong. Then they said they needed to change the driver side battery and they couldn’t continue testing until that happened. Then they said the FICM was bad (which I replaced 1bout 18 months ago) – so they replaced that. They still couldn’t figure out what was wrong but then they said I needed to replace the passenger side battery and that the alternator was bad…quoted me $600 total… and they still didn’t know why I was losing power. A brand new alternator for that truck is about $150 so I told them I will pick it up...

Anyway it’s sitting at the house right now. I was going to replace the alternator last week but everything was covered in snow. So I’ll probably do that this coming week.

As far as why I took it in…

It seems like when the engine reaches a certain temperature – when the EOT and ECT is between 120 and 175 – I hit the gas and it basically does not. The RPMs don’t jump, the turbo doesn’t do anything…obviously… If I hold the gas down for a while it usually will lurch forward and start running normally until I let the RPMs drop below ~1600. If I keep the RPMs up it’s fine. Ones the engine heats up – when the EOT and ECT is above ~180 – everything runs normally…

I don’t know. I thought it might have something to do with the FICM, but that was just replaced…

If you come up with anything, I’d love to hear about it!

So I thought I would post to the forum to see if anyone had a similar situation or idea of what it might be, any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

lwmcguir

The 2005 F series has a great onboard dianostic computer. Combined with the Dealers test equipment they should already know the problem. I would take the truck to a different dealer's shop and never go back to the present one. Has to be somthing very simple.

Mike & Carol

Hey...thanks for your reply...He lives in Denver and I am hrading out there next week...try to get it to someone more recommended

wdk450

I am no Ford guy, but I would guess if the computer is O.K. maybe one of the sensors feeding it isn't. Remember though that new parts (especially complex ones like computers) have out of the box failures.

wingfoot

It really sounds like a fuel related problem. I'm going to assume both fuel filter have been changed. Don't rule out contaminated fuel unless it's been an ongoing problem. Has your dealer checked the EGR valve? The 6.0 PSD has had numerous problems with this.

Also, you might want to go to this forum..It is dedicated to Ford owners, just look under 6.0 PSD. You can do a search on their site and come up with a lot of information.

http://www.thedieselstop.com
Good luck,
Larry

GOTTOYS

All anybody can do without connecting it to the proper diagnosis equipment is guess at what could be wrong...Bring it to a qualified shop for a proper diagnostic check. Hooking it up to a scan tool probably will not give you the absolute final answer, but it will help point a good diesel technician in the right direction. Sounds to me like the last place was maybe "shotgunning" some parts at it in the hopes it might fix it. This can get pretty expensive. A well qualified and properly trained technician sounds like a better answer to me. Good luck...Don

traveler44

You might try feeding the symptoms and the make and model into the computer and see if any of the diesel forums talks about it. I do this with my cars too I cleaned all kinds of valves and sensor on my Taurus and it kept idling rough until I ran some STP concentrated fuel injector cleaner through it. Some disel forums are-Ford Truck Enthusiasts- Diesel Power forum- Powerstroke Help .com-The Diesel Garage and Ford Powerstroke Diesel forum. Hope this helps you find the problem.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
check out CAR MD. For about 65 dollars you can buy a deal that plugs into the vehicle computer port to get to defect codes. Then go to their website for the diagnosis. It works good or so my son-in-law says. You can buy the product at Wal-Mart. http://www.carmd.com/

caokgafamily

EHCSROPE,

I own a 05 6.0 Powerstroke with 85K, and I have been fighting this same problem for the last 4 months and I'm pretty sure I have fixed it. Yes they said my FICM was bad and I replaced it, But I still had probs after the new FICM. My problem was the fuel pump! and my external tank that I don't use much that would build up condesation and allow water to mix with my fuel. I ended up removing my fuel pump and you would not believe all the junk! that was in it. I changed my fuel filters and cleaned the pump. That was about 1000 miles ago and 2 trips pulling my Bighorn and everything has been good! I always used to run my tank low then fill it up, I fill it up now at 1/4 tank. He can do the FICM if he wan'ts, don't believe Ford that they have to do it. You can buy one that is already flashed for about $585, yes I had probs after I replaced the FICM and maybe it was part of the prob. But for me it was as simple as dirty or lack of fuel because it was kinda clogged up. I just turn off my external tank now. You can call me if you like if you want more detail.478-228-1711.

Steve

Sandpirate69

Dealers should be treated like doctors. Take it to another dealer and get a second opinion. I had problems with my electric door locks on my chevy. They would unlock, but wouldn't function to lock. I took it to the dealer & told me it was the door lock actuators. Basicaly they said all 4 went bad at the same time & quoted me $600.00. Well I found that to be BS, because it was impossible that all 4 would go bad & do the same thing. Anyway, sorry to ramble on, I took it to my hunt club friend and he found a bad relay, $10 fixed it. By the way not trying to say Dr.'s are out to get you, but go elsewhere if not happy with the current service.

Just my 2 cents
Ivan

caokgafamily

It seems like when the engine reaches a certain temperature – when the EOT and ECT is between 120 and 175 – I hit the gas and it basically does not. The RPMs don’t jump, the turbo doesn’t do anything…obviously… If I hold the gas down for a while it usually will lurch forward and start running normally until I let the RPMs drop below ~1600. If I keep the RPMs up it’s fine. Ones the engine heats up – when the EOT and ECT is above ~180 – everything runs normally…

This was my same problem, it seemed like my truck would warm up about 8 miles into a ride and then it would run like crap! sputtering, jumping or nothing at all! if you caught in time you could keep feathering the gas and it would clean out for a while then it always came back. Somebody told me once that sometimes problems are the caused by the simplest things! Clean and good flow are very important for Diesel engines. If he takes off the fuel pump you need a $5 tool to remove the 2 ea forward fuel lines, you can get the tool at any auto parts store.

Steve

caokgafamily

Sandpirate,

When my truck had the same problem we are talking about the dealer wanted $2500 to fix. If my FICM truely wasn't bad it would have costed me nothing! If your having fuel problem's it will cause bad FICM codes.

Steve

Mike & Carol

Steve

Thank you so much..I really appreciate your reply. I will pass the info along. May give you a call next week when I am in Denver.
Thanks Again
Mike

lwmcguir

One item brought up in the responses is the fuel level in the tank. Never run a Diesel down below 1/4 tank unless it is an emergency. Drain the water accumalator as needed based on engine hours or miles and temperatures.

Jimmy

On the older ones the accelerator pedal was electronic, and when it was bad, it had similar symptoms...

caissiel

I would possibly put a fuel gauge on the truck. Its one of the important gauge I required asside from my ScangaugeII, for trouble shooting my 6.0L.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
We had a 2005 and during the 4 years we owned it, replaced the FICM, ICPM, an exhaust gas temp sensor (very much the same symptoms as yours) and a couple more various sensors. My mechanic says there are 26 sensors on that truck and I think we were up to 9. We never really had problems with anything else on it and it never left us anywhere, but we traded it in in September for a low mile 08 with a warranty. It was just too painful to still be making payments AND repair bills. I will second the thought of finding a good Ford mechanic. In our town, they can't be found at the dealerships. Look for a shop where the mechanics all own them, and you'll be on the right track. We had a code reader, built hot rods and have done our own repairs for years. But not on this truck. The symptoms were just too bizarre to point you in any direction except to a good mechanic.