Grease on the Brakes

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Quite a few threads about grease seal failure at the wheel bearings but I didn't come across a picture of the mess it causes. I had no idea it could be this bad. I've only had 3 of the 6 hubs off so far...wish me luck with the rest of them!
Note the seal was loose on the axle when the hub was removed.

Yes, Dexter has been very helpful!

Attachments

• IMG_0091.jpg
    IMG_0091.jpg
    790.6 KB · Views: 141

scottyb

Were you getting dirty grease out the front when you were greasing them or did it all just push past the seal? The video on Dexter's site clearly shows dirty grease then new grease coming out around the zert.

NWILSON

UPDATE:I did find one other brake with grease on it...same axle, other side!
I've only had the coach for a year and the dealer I bought from said they had serviced it. Late last summer I gave each axle 3 or 4 pumps from the grease gun for good measure. I could see plenty of grease around the outer bearings when I took the service plug out so I wasn't overly concerned.
Today I found the 4 non-problem hubs with a "normal" amount of grease in them...Plenty around the bearings and some in the center of the hub but not even close to full.
Having read about some Dexter axles having a problem combined with the axles being nearly 3 yrs old since they were built I felt compelled to clean and repack the bearings as a preventative measure. Grease does dry out over time and lack of use can be just as hard on it as constant use as you all know.
I'm looking forward to seeing how the coach brakes with all 6 working!

Lynn1130

Ok I am confused as I do not think that I have zerks on my bearings or at least I have not seen any other than what is on the suspension. Is there something I should look for?

NWILSON

Ok I am confused as I do not think that I have Zerks on my bearings or at least I have not seen any other than what is on the suspension. Is there something I should look for?
If your coach has Dexter Axles you may have a feature they call EZ Lube. It amounts to a Zerk fitting in the end of the axle that ports grease to the rear bearing. There is a rubber plug that pops out of the bearing cap giving access to the Zerk.
In my opinion there is no substitute for cleaning and repacking wheel bearings. The EZ Lube allows you to add a "refresher" but grease isn't really consumed so you will eventually need to remove the hub and clean it out.

scottyb

According to the videos on Dexter's site, the old grease is forced out the front, near the zerk, and replaced by the new grease. You can clearly see the dark grease coming out until the new red grease comes out. Then you are supposed to wipe up the mess. I am with you on hand packing the bearings.

Curt_Hinson

Quite a few threads about grease seal failure at the wheel bearings but I didn't come across a picture of the mess it causes. I had no idea it could be this bad. I've only had 3 of the 6 hubs off so far...wish me luck with the rest of them!Note the seal was loose on the axle when the hub was removed.Yes, Dexter has been very helpful!
Something doesn't look right about that picture. The inner bearing and seal should have come off with the hub. You have to knock the seal out with a drift or pry it out of the hub. Did you remove them and put them back on the axle for the picture. I would not replace the seals with the numbers on those seals. I would measure the axle and insure that the correct seal is installed. You can download all the information needed from Dexter. On my last unit, there were three different sizes of seals listed for my axles. Everyone wanted to sell me the wrong one. If the seals are the correct size, there should be no problem with lubing using the zert fitting at the end of the axle. An air powered grease gun should not be used.From past experience, it takes a heck of a lot of grease to fill the wheel cavity. It does not come completely filled up. Putting several squirts in via the zert fitting really does not do the job. I am a firm believer that if the procedure is done correctly, there should never be a problem with grease on the brake shoes. Cleaning and re-lubing yearly is the best advice, but not many people can tackle that project. I question just how much is done in the various repair shops.My two cents worth because that is all I can affordCurt

NWILSON

Curt,
Dexter has had some issues with seals and grease on the brakes. This is an example. You are correct in that the seal should have been in the hub! Whether the seal was not installed correctly or somehow forced out I don't know. For those still in the 2yr warranty Dexter will replace the complete backing plate assembly on affected axles.
The second problem hub I found wasn't as bad:

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    796.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    837.7 KB · Views: 44

danemayer

Nwilson,

I've heard that once the drums are contaminated with grease/oil, even after repeated cleanings, the lubricant will resurface when the drum gets hot, compromising braking. Have you discussed this with Dexter?

NWILSON

I've heard that once the drums are contaminated with grease/oil, even after repeated cleanings, the lubricant will resurface when the drum gets hot, compromising braking. Have you discussed this with Dexter?
I did ask specifically about that, Dan, and was told that a thorough cleaning with Brake Parts Cleaner would be sufficient. I hope I never have to buy one at $251/ea :eek:
I was reminded that burnishing would be required with new shoes. They suggested that many people do it with the brake controller alone rather than heating up the brakes on their TV...good idea!. I had expressed concern in a previous thread about the safety issue of marginally performing brakes before burnishing is completed. Since I've been operating with 2 brakes that were coated in grease till now I should actually have better braking even before burnishing is complete :)