Grill quick connect on Mallard M260?

Number409

I’m looking at 2500w dual-fuel generators. Does the grill quick connect in the back of our RV have enough pressure to drive a dual-fuel generato?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That quick connect provides a regulated LP supply. So if you genny requires a regulated supply you are good to go.
If that jenny requires unreguated you will have to find a way to do that.
I'm pretty sure that you can get a fitting that attaches to your LP tanks and allows both a regulated and unregulated supply.

Peace
Dave

Number409

One of the generators I'm looking at is the Champion 2500w dual-fuel. I sent their support a question on what do these gennies need here's their response, "-1/2 PSI with a flow rate of 76,000 BTU/hr. under max load."

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Is there a number missing in your reply from support? Your low pressure regulator should have 6 ounces of psi or 10.5 in. water column.

Peace
Dave

Number409

Here is the exact info on questions I asked and response from Champion:

Questions/Comments: I’m looking to buy a couple of 2000w class generators for my RV preferably dual-fuel.
1. Can I run two of your generators in parallel off a single 20lb propane tank?
2. Can I hookup your generators to my external quick propane connection on my Mallard M260?

Response from Champion support:
To answer both your question, it is possible but you are going to need to provide and get your own LPG Hose that would be able to meet this requirement shown below:

-1/2 PSI with a flow rate of 76,000 BTU/hr. under max load.

That is the propane flow requirement of our generator.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I suggest that you contact an LP supplier and ask the questions about the generator requirements and your supply.

Peace
Dave

centerline

One of the generators I'm looking at is the Champion 2500w dual-fuel. I sent their support a question on what do these gennies need here's their response, "-1/2 PSI with a flow rate of 76,000 BTU/hr. under max load."
that would be a regulated supply, but 1/2 psi is higher than normal for gas appliance use.... normal would be 1/3 of 1 PSI which is about 10-11 inches on the water column scale..... BUT, im not saying that going either way with the pressure a slight bit wouldnt work in the engine of the generator, because the propane carburetor on the generator is ANOTHER regulator, which is automatically and dynamically adjusted to the needs of the engine, while it runs.....

BUT... the higher pressure would NOT be fine for an appliance that burns with a flame "open to the atmosphere", as too much pressure would not allow the gas to be carburized correctly for a clean burn..

a lot of portable bbq's operate on full line pressure, because most portable bbq's have the regulator incorporated into the control knob, which, if thats the way your set up is, you will only need to T into the HP gas line with a regulator for the genset.......

otherwise, you may be better off running a parallel line to run the high pressure gas to where you need it..... personally, when i have a portable genset that I have to haul in the pickup or unload from a compartment to use, I will move it as far away from the trailer as practical so i dont have to listen to it run....
I do have an onan onboard, but most times all we need is my little 800w generator to recharge the batteries....