Ham Radio Communications for RVers

DJHphoto

i am looking to start a discussion on using Ham Radio for communications while on the road and at camp sites.....especially with RVers in mind! I am studying for the Technician License to be a ham radio operator and would like to talk with some of the radio operators who can share with the group some RVer Ham links, ideas, gatherings, and basically how practical is it for when we are OTR.

CDN

B and B
Following, I never did get my Novice in 1974 but thinking this is something I could do on the road!

Lynn1130

There are interlinked repeater systems that are used across country and I would guess that there are some here who have used them. The problem comes with the limited connectivity in some areas because of the line of sight nature of both 2 meters and 440. With cellphone networks what they are today emergency communication is as good or better than what is available with HAM. That is not saying that there is not a use for HAM and I still carry a triband handheld. What I have found however, is that there are not that many of us out there and some of the 2 meter repeaters have become channel 19 CB rather than what it was not so many years ago.

KC7LB

cablewife

Hi, I am also studying for my technician license (hopefully April). I have a handheld I am learning to use, but can't talk yet. I would also love info for an RV group for Ham radios.

RoadJunkie

I am an Advance Class HAM, N5HXT, and believe we could be of value at larger rallies if someone might feel compelled to organize and coordinate with rally producers. But, as pointed out, cell phones are current, efficient and don’t require licensing.

Lynn1130

True but what I have found is that with a cell phone you can text and move on to the next problem when many times your party does not answer the phone or the radio and you are stuck trying to get the message through.

Radios work well with group activities when trying to coordinated different functions. We use them for hunting, hiking and traveling when we are different vehicles. Again, the line of site issues becomes a factor in mountains and in some cases in buildings. Phones work better in those situations and many times we find that texting will go through when nothing else does. For over-the-road travel chatting, traffic updates etc UHF/VHF is not ideal. Repeaters give you more distance but then again, you are line of sight on flat ground. Perhaps 30 miles. In mountains it can be better if repeaters are on mountain tops but valleys can be dead zones. There are areas where we camp on the Mogollon Rim where absolutely nothing works but maybe smoke signals. And do not believe the advertisements for 3 watt handheld radios that say you will get 15 miles of communications.

avvidclif

Next time you hit a traffic jam jump on your cellphone and ask what the blockage is? That's what childrens band is good for. Ham radio is different as you know.

DJHphoto

Next time you hit a traffic jam jump on your cellphone and ask what the blockage is? That's what childrens band is good for. Ham radio is different as you know.

Thats how I am reading it Clif KA5IPF. I miss the days of CB and the constant chatter you could jump in on. I even had CB call sign when you had to have on to operate a citizen's band radio. So sad how CB has gone into the trash. Other CBers would get on you if you used profanity on the air. This is why I am looking at getting a Ham license. Still a lot of class and professionalism there.

As a side not....if there was a nationwide ".........." event (you fill in the blank) Ham and CB will on the air transmitting on a mountain with a car battery. Where will cell phones, internet and land line be when the satellites and cell towers are down???

Lynn1130

Next time you hit a traffic jam jump on your cellphone

Not much you can do about it if you are caught in it so, don't care. My Garmin with traffic will get me around it and here, in town, KTAR and "Detour" Dan Beach keeps me and the rest of the fools who are out in it, updated. I have not been on CB since the 70's and really do not have a desire to listen to all of the vulgar stuff going on there. The cat calls toward women drivers, the F this and F that is not what me or my wife want to listen to while traveling.

With all of the overhead message boards on freeways and Interstates you are so well informed that radios are not that much help. The person ahead of you caught in it doesn't know much more than you do. and 511 here gives you road updates. So it is kinda, the days of CB that was helpful is dead.

So, I guess that Ham is good for group functions and I belonged to a private system that covered much of CA, Arizona, parts of Utah, Colorado and NM. That was worth the membership when I was traveling for the job but cellphones pretty much made that outdated also.

DJHphoto

Following, I never did get my Novice in 1974 but thinking this is something I could do on the road!

That's my plan CDN. From my research ham radio is taking off again with a rejuvenating interest for quite a while. What is fueling the interest in getting your "technician" entry ham license is not only RVers to keep in contact but also the the development of new technology. Like APRS that can track you movements on a map. Lots of computer and digital options. Also......what are know as "prepppers", those preparing for when the SHTF and all communications go down are big into it.

Scrap

Reviving an old thread: Just got my tech license and was seeing if there was anyone here with more info on Ham radio and stuff.

KK7GCM

wdk450

I don't know if the nationwide 2 meter and 440 mhz repeater system is as extensive as it was in the 1980's when there were far more active hams than now. I often thought that a ham 2 meter (with a repeater frequency guide book) was an ideal emergency item for back country backpackers.

When at work in downtown Sacramento, I could routinely bring up the Mt. Rose Nevada 2 meter repeater above Reno with my 5 watt handheld. That was a 110 mile distance, overlapping much of the central high Sierra mountains. Standard cellphones cover much, much, less.