Has anyone repaired or replaced a slideout ram cylinder?

wdk450

I have a lot of leakage on my kitchen slide cylinder when extending the slideout. Looking at the Lippert slideout system manual in oUr library dated 2017, page 7, step 6, has this line after doing a test: "If greater than a few drops leak from the hosefitting, PISTON SEAL IS BAD AND WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED". This would infer that Lippert sells a seal kit for these cylinders. A new 24 inch, 1 1/2 inch bore cylinder costs over $300.

Any advice from anyone who has " done it before" would be appreciated. The cylinder looks fairly easy to replace with threaded rod ends, and 2 hydraulic hose fittings. The manual has a number of cylinder sizes listed on the parts list, and I am assuming the different listings are thrust length.
I will probably be calling Lippert with my VIN anyways.

Thanks!!

Routemaster

Yes. Mine was the dining room slide out I bought my new cylinder #0253867 from Heartland best deal I found this one was made of aluminum whereas the one I took out was steel. I found that at the end opposite end to the ram there was a tiny crack in the weld.
I suggest having someone to help.
Den.

Attachments

• Cyl3.JPG
    Cyl3.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • From Heartland.JPG
    From Heartland.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • front bracket.JPG
    front bracket.JPG
    775.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Front Left Ram.JPG
    Front Left Ram.JPG
    902 KB · Views: 18
  • Moving out on the road.JPG
    Moving out on the road.JPG
    999.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Rear end cylinder mount.JPG
    Rear end cylinder mount.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Tee fitting frame side.JPG
    Tee fitting frame side.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
  • Top fitting.JPG
    Top fitting.JPG
    532.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Cyl1.JPG
    Cyl1.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • Cyl2.JPG
    Cyl2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 32

Routemaster

Just thought maybe the steel cylinder that I had, had a crack in the weld at the back end causing my problem. They do have from what I saw a solid mount inside should it be rubber? also at the wall slide end is a solid mount too, so the slide moves in and out up a ramp at @4degrees, stress? perhaps that's why my replacement is aluminum or am I missing something?
Den.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I replaced mine years ago. It is helpful to have assistance. Also, make sure to measure where your adjustment nuts are before you take it apart.

Routemaster

What concerns me is the rod pulling the slide in and out uphill must be bending how long might it be before the front seal may blow out?
The back end of the cylinder is bolted to the right-angle bracket one can see the red oil leaking out at the stud.
The kitchen slide is above the floor and has a straight pull.

Attachments

• Ram (2).JPG
    Ram (2).JPG
    785.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Ram cylinder rod.JPG
    Ram cylinder rod.JPG
    686.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Rear end cylinder mount.JPG
    Rear end cylinder mount.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 12

Dahillbilly

What concerns me is the rod pulling the slide in and out uphill must be bending how long might it be before the front seal may blow out?
The back end of the cylinder is bolted to the right-angle bracket one can see the red oil leaking out at the stud.
The kitchen slide is above the floor and has a straight pull.
I'd get the Lippert Communities app & join (it's free) then check out their support documents / video tab. You can also post your question about the 4 degree angle.