Has anyone with a travel trailer tried any of the aftermarket auto-leveling packages?

MountainDon

Hello All,

I am looking at the ground-control TT system and anything else out there as well as the electric stabilizer jacks and was hoping someone might have some experience in this arena they could share.

I have a 2017 North Trail 21FBS TT ( a bit over 26' if I remember correctly)

Thanks in advance

Don

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I looked into the Lippert system when we had our 22 RBK. If I remember right the parts and install was going to cost the equivalent of the loss we would take getting a new rig with the system already installed, or a new dewalt cordless every month if needed. We went with dewalt.

MountainDon

Where I can Park my trailer at home, can not lower the left side stabilizers, so I am very interested in having and electric stabilizer system, it looks like that will cost me close to $1k and I can get the auto leveler for $2k, so just looking for some input to decide if it is worth the thousand to not have tense moments with my bride when it is time to park the trailer.

Thanks for your input!

Don

'Lil Guy'

I love our auto level system now. But, On our 1st rig (21FBS) that measures 22' in length, I couldn't justify auto level on such a light rig. Just level tires side to side and adjust hitch to level front to rear. Are you using it at home? What's keeping you from operating the stabilizers? If I recall it has scissor jacks on both sides. Again, what isn't letting you use the jacks?

MountainDon

I have a very tight parking space with the left side next to the fence we do use it at home when we have too many kids staying with us

thank you for the input

don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Just a suggestion, but could you purchase a pair of heavy duty scissors jacks, place them facing parallel to the frame, front and rear on the fence side, and manually raise them while you’re parked at home? When you move the rig, just lower and move them out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Just a suggestion, but could you purchase a pair of heavy duty scissors jacks, place them facing parallel to the frame, front and rear on the fence side, and manually raise them while you’re parked at home? When you move the rig, just lower and move them out of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea. Could even use self tapping screws to mount and just remove them when you're ready to go again then reinstall upon return in same holes. A pair of heavy scissor jacks are cheap on Etrailer.

Kinguni

Pair of screw jacks would stabilize nicely too if you can get in there.

MountainDon

Thanks all for your input

i had thought of turning the existing jacks 90 degrees but wasn’t sure if that would be as stable so I started looking at option that would be both stronger and easier to use, which has brought me to this thread

With my last trailer I had to use the front jacks to lift the trailer slightly so I could hitch up when the tongue jack stoped working - the stabilizers of course could barely do it so I am looking for at least a stinger jack in case of an odd need like that - I actually had to take the tongue jack off after I got hitched up so it wouldn’t drag

Don

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
If your considering the Lippert ground control TT auto level system. Watch the added weight. The system adds quite a bit of weight above and beyond what the factory electric stabilizers or manual stab jacks weigh. I thought about it but then backed away when I realized just how much weight would be added. There may also be installation issues/considerations if you have a slide-out bike rack.

Weight is around 300lbs.

Compare that to:
4 manual stab jacks approximately 50lbs total

Lippert electric stabilizers
2 x Lippert electric stabilizer jacks approximately 130lbs total.

Gary521

I added an aftermarket leveling system to my old unit. It was not a TT but it was still a trailer. The system works extremely well and it save a ton of time when setting up at a camp site. No more boards to carry around. No more guessing at the campsite as to how many boards to add. It is also much safer.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
You can get a set of four screw-up jacks at Walmart or Camping World for under $50...

I used them with my old beat up 1978 Coachman TT, my previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner TT and still carry and use them in my current 2015 Heartland Prowler 5th-wheeler.

You can see one of them in this shot below (click on photo to make it larger):

TrailRunnerAtCherryChreek-IMG_20150517_095153310.jpg