Haul Gauge....anyone tried it?

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I have been looking at it also but have not found anyone who has tried it. It would be awesome if it worked as well as they claim.

Fox

I'm always the skeptic - and I don't believe Woody the woodpeckers story. Sorry but I'm just being honest (admittedly even biased).
It'll take many additional users telling us of their positive experience before I part with my dollars.

NP_Chief

Interesting... I hadn't heard of it until now. Guy on the video said they sent him two for T/E... what y'all suppose the odds are that they will send someone on the forum one?

RoadJunkie

I don’t see how the device could measure the actual weight data as described. It could be that the data are derived by algorithm based on torque, horsepower and other factors available from OBD readings. Still, interesting.

danemayer

I don’t see how the device could measure the actual weight data as described. It could be that the data are derived by algorithm based on torque, horsepower and other factors available from OBD readings. Still, interesting.

I think the algorithm is based on pitch. The more the truck squats, the heavier the load. I have to wonder whether the accuracy varies with payload capacity and pin weight; i.e. on a dually with 5,600 payload, what kind of useful info does the device get with a 3,600 lb. pin weight.

Chrisandsama

If based off pitch then a leveled truck or air bagged truck would throw it off. According to their FAQ variables like these can be calibrated into it.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Our rig is typically loaded the same every time we travel so I see no need to spend a hundred bucks for a guessed weight when I can spend twelve-fifty at a CAT scale and get an exact weight.
JMO.

Peace
Dave

Offtrail

Couldn't hurt for an Administrator to send an email to the Owner, Michael Hall, to see if he would send one or two for testing for the forum?

Chas

NP_Chief

I filled out the contact form on their website, with a link to this thread. I will let y'all know if I hear from them.

RoadJunkie

I'm sure the end user would input baseline information with the rig on level surface, unloaded, loaded, overall length, axle position, or some such details. The question is...what do you then do with the data?

Matt750

I have one. Haven’t had enough time to mess with it thoroughly. When I have time, I’ll also go to the CAT scales and see how close the numbers are. Depending on where we go with our toy hauler, our load can vary and can be a bit of a pain to mess with the CAT scales. I figured $100 isn’t going to make or break me. Maybe I can mess with it next week after I get new axles installed.IMG_4236.jpgIMG_4237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jleavitt11

retired Utah Chapter Leaders
I have one. Haven’t had enough time to mess with it thoroughly. When I have time, I’ll also go to the CAT scales and see how close the numbers are. Depending on where we go with our toy hauler, our load can vary and can be a bit of a pain to mess with the CAT scales. I figured $100 isn’t going to make or break me. Maybe I can mess with it next week after I get new axles installed.View attachment 63755View attachment 63754

I would really like to hear your evaluation once you have time to check it out.

avvidclif

Interesting but I have an Edge Insight plugged into that hole which is more important than weight. One reason I bought a dually. Can't overload it with my trailer.

jbeletti

I have one. Haven’t had enough time to mess with it thoroughly. When I have time, I’ll also go to the CAT scales and see how close the numbers are. Depending on where we go with our toy hauler, our load can vary and can be a bit of a pain to mess with the CAT scales. I figured $100 isn’t going to make or break me. Maybe I can mess with it next week after I get new axles installed.

Matt - if you're attending the South Central Region rally the first week of April - maybe you can share your results there.

Matt750

Matt - if you're attending the South Central Region rally the first week of April - maybe you can share your results there.

I don’t think we’ll be able to make that one. We have some other trips already planned out around that time frame, but I can always check with the boss lady!

I was able to get some results with the haul gauge & will likely make it over to the CAT scales in the next couple of days. Now, keep in mind I should have gone over the instructions a little bit better before using, but who has time for that?! I should also note that in order for it to work, it’s supposed to be on level ground. It’s not too far out-of-level at our storage facility, but not perfect either. Also it sits on caliche, so when I was trying to do the truck weigh test, it would slip a little. SO, here we go.

2014 Ram 3500 4x4 dually
2019 Cyclone 4007
Trailer sticker dry weight: 16,702 lbs
Advertised pin weight: 3,665 lbs

Haul Gauge for the truck: 8,200 lbs

Haul Gauge pin weight: 3,350 lbs

Haul Gauge trailer weight: 17,000 lbs

I know my truck weighs more than 8,200lbs. Like myself, it has lost weight in some areas, but gained more than it has lost (tool box, bumper replacement, etc). The trailer did not have any toys in the back and was not loaded for a camping trip (food, drinks, clothes, etc.). It does have everything that we keep in it for camping though. It seems as if the results are a little low in some areas, but I’ll know better when I make the trip to the CAT scales. And I’ll also try to find a better spot to do the Haul Gauge testing. And maybe, just maybe I’ll have a closer look at the instructions.

Made it to the CAT scale today. Results are as follows:

CAT Scale Truck: 9,380 lbs

Cat Scale pin weight: 4,320

Cat Scale trailer weight: 17,940

I did not have time to mess with finding a spot to do more testing with the Haul Gauge. I think there may be some additional factors for the difference. I plan on contacting the folks at Haul Gauge with some questions I have. I'll also note that the both times the truck had a full tank of diesel. The camper has some gas in the back tanks, but not a full 50 gallons (somewhere around 10 gallons estimated). Also, I know that one of my propane bottles is empty. I did have new axles put on in-between the Haul Gauge and Cat scale measurements. The new axles are still 7,000 Dexter axles, but they are "heavy wall" constructed (versus what came on it from Heartland) and will weigh a little bit more.

I'll post anymore updates to this thread when I find out anymore info.

Last edited:

avvidclif

IIRC the gauge connects to your phone and you provide the VIN. It checks with the MFG for shipping weight via the phone to get truck weight. I think that's what I read anyway.