hauling vehicle for 2014 Elkridge E29 5th wheel

Markus666

I'm looking at purchasing a new tow vehicle and I'm thinking of buying 2014 Ram 2500 Cummins TD Crew Cab longbed. The E29 has a GVWR of 11,500lbs. The tow limit for the 2500 is 17,320.

My question relates to Cargo Capacity. The max payload of the truck is about 2500lbs, but the Ram website notes that this includes cargo and trailer tongue weight, which I'm assuming for 5th wheels, represents the weight of the RV supported by the pin. Does anyone know what this number would be for my RV? If it were 15% of the GVWR, I'd be at 1725 lbs, leaving me only 775 lbs for passengers and other cargo. Am I looking at this the right way? Do I have to step up to a Ram 3500 where the max payload is over 4,000 lbs.

Appreciate any help. I'm new to RVing and trying to do things right.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Heartlandrvs web site lists the pin weight of that trailer as 2,075 dry.
That number will be higher when you load up.
As long as you are buying a new truck, I would go with the 3500.

Peace
Dave

ncrzrbk

You can go up to the 3500 SRW and have around 4400lbs of payload. That is what I just did. Not mention difference in the ride of the two trucks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

'Lil Guy'

Just purchased a E289. Wanting a 5th wheel and having a Ram 2500 CTD SWB 4X4, I did a lot of research on this. Your tow limit drops as you add weight to your TV. At max payload, my tow limit went from 17K+ to about 14K. I added the Timbren enhancer to the rear and don't know that I needed it. You will be close to max payload on your TV but it'll pull like a dream. I added the 5th airborne hitch pin to mine and it really pulls well. With the Curt Q16 hitch with Ram prep. No clearance issues at all. doesn't need a slide E289 and 2500 Ram is a great match. You'll love it. My actual cargo weight is 2050 lbs. That I you and a full tank of fuel At about 1850 of hitch weight, you are good to go. Only reason for 3500 is if you are to upgrade to a bigger, heavier rig later.

GOTTOYS

Don't waste your money on a 2500. You will be marginal on your load carrying capacity, probably overloaded. For about the same price you can upgrade to a 3500. Same fuel economy, ride is about the same. I guaranty you will at some point become disappointed with the load carrying ability of a 2500. Pretty typical the weight bias of a 5th wheel will end up putting about 20% of the ACTUAL weight of the trailer on the pin. Advertised weights are usually dry weight not loaded. You will also need to consider the weight of the hitch, any cargo, the weight will go up if you ad an air ride or Mor-Ryde pinbox, and so on. Take it from someone that just traded out of a Ram 2500. My trailer weighed about the same as yours. I was 800# over weight on my rear axle and within 400# of my maximum combined gross weight for the truck and trailer combined. This was before I added the Trail-Air Tri-Glide pin box and auxiliary fuel tank. It pulled it just fine until I hit some crosswinds or real bumpy stretches. I never felt real good about it going down the road unless the conditions were perfect...As they say, been there done that....Good luck..Don

'Lil Guy'

BC GVW is considerably more than the Extreme Light E289 at 8500 dry. This debate could can go on and on from SRW to DRW, etc. The 2500 will tow that trailer fine. I wouldn't pull one of the full profile 5ers with a 2500 but for this application, it is OK. If you want a 3500 get one. I opted for the 2500 for a daily drive. Again, if you are going to upgrade to a heavier full profile, I would go with the 3500 DRW.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would get a 3500 and maybe a L/B the 1st time. If mama wants a bigger 5er later on..then you dont have buy a truck also.

gtsum2

I was in same boat earlier this year and ended up ordering a ram 3500 srw megacab. I have 4076lbs payload per door sticker vs maybe 2300-2500 on a 2500. Get 1900lbs pin weight and a family of four and fiver hitch etc and u r at or over payload on a 2500 pretty easily

Birchwood

The Dodge E29 has a higher GVWR than my GMC 3500 dually.Never knew a 3/4 ton went over 10000 lb.Will have to think
of upgrading to a 2500 Dodge.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Birchwood, what year is your GMC?? Any 2500 GM truck newer than a 2011 has a 5er rating of 17K+. Heck my 2007 2500 was rated a little over 16K. My 2013 3500 DRW is rated at 22,500 for a 5er.

marcusweeks

I don't know about the new ones, but I have a 2004.5 dodge Cummins. The only difference between a 2500 and 3500 single wheel is a set of overload springs. I don't think its worth going one ton and not going dually. A 2500 with airbags would be the same. A dually would speed the load over 4 tires. Less sway. A lot of people don't like them as much if they're a daily driver though.

Markus666

ATF: ElkRidge - Tongue weight/ cargo weight

I have a 2014 Elkridge e29 5th wheel and I'm buying a new pickup to pull it. The Ram 2500 has a cargo weight capability of around 2500 lbs, and it notes that tongue weight (which I assume means weight on the pin for a 5th wheel) along with all passengers and cargo needs to be accounted for in that 2500 lb limit.

What weight should I be using for my e29 when determining if the ram 2500 is adequate?
Thanks

danemayer

Re: ATF: ElkRidge - Tongue weight/ cargo weight

I have a 2014 Elkridge e29 5th wheel and I'm buying a new pickup to pull it. The Ram 2500 has a cargo weight capability of around 2500 lbs, and it notes that tongue weight (which I assume means weight on the pin for a 5th wheel) along with all passengers and cargo needs to be accounted for in that 2500 lb limit.

What weight should I be using for my e29 when determining if the ram 2500 is adequate?
Thanks

Hi Markus666,

I've merged your new question with the previous thread so all the answers are in one place.

On 5th wheels, you should plan on 20% of the trailer GVWR being on the hitch. So for a trailer with GVWR of 11,500, you should plan on 2,300 lbs of trailer pin weight. Add to that about 200 lbs for the hitch, plus weight of passengers, pets, bed liner, bed cover, and any tools, cargo or firewood in the truck.

When shopping for trucks, look at the actual payload spec on the label in the drivers's door frame.