Hayward, WI Trip

jbeletti

Hey all,

This past weekend, Nancy and I headed 400 miles north up to the Hayward, WI area to camp on the Chippewa Flowage and to visit with Nancy's son Mike and visit with Nancy's childhood friend Pat.

We headed out late afternoon on Thursday, hooked up the trailer and drove to Lake Delton in the Wisconsin Dells area. We stayed at Country Roads Motorhome and RV Park for the quick over-night. We'd stayed there in 2004. It's a nice park that's layed out very well. Nearly all sites are pull-throughs. While you can bring children, they cater to adults. It rained pretty hard overnight but it didn't bother us inside the trailer at all. This is a huge improvement for me over my travel trailer in 2004 (ping, ping, ping all night long - I can still hear it!).

We headed out from Lake Delton early Friday morning and had rain nearly the whole way to Hayward. We took 90/94 west to 53 North at Eau Claire. Once we got within 60 miles of our destination though, the county roads were merciless on the rig. Chuck City! I've never chucking as bad as I had it those last 60 miles. Must have been an asphalt crack repair ever 6 feet for miles upon miles. Needless to say, we took an alternate route back to 53 and it was great.

Lake Chippewa campground was great. And big too. But not so that you'd know it as it was all tucked into a huge wooded acreage. The site we had was long and wide (as campsites). Like all of their RV sites, we parked on gravel and had a grass side yard, a fire ring and trees. Everything we wanted really. Okay, Wi-Fi would have been nice :)

While is was cold everyday and rained most everyday, we made the most of it. We had a really nice time in downtown Hayward with all the shops and such. We took the puppies into all the stores (except those selling or serving food) in their carry bag. One shop owner even told us we could let them out to run around the store. It was a small shop so we did. It was at her peril I warned and puppies did not disappoint as Emme left a nice yellow lake on the wood floor :eek: Mommy cleaned it up and all was well. Back to the shops - it was your typical tourist sort of downtown shops - quaint, nice.

Due to the rain, we watched our first movie ever while camping. Kind of nice to have a big TV and DVD player for those times.

We did a bit of driving around the Chippewa Flowage area, ate and shopped at local spots and such. A lot of people in this area are Native Americans, indigenous to the area - all of them very friendly.

Oh, and a highlight for me since I love the food, we met Nancy's friend Pat for dinner at the original Famous Daves, near Hayward on Round Lake. I'll post a few pictures of the place later. I also got a bit more history on Dave Anderson and his ventures as well as the first name given to his restaurant before he was compelled to change it. Nancy's friend Pat worked for Dave in the beginning so it was kind of neat to get some of the history. Okay, enough about my Famous Dave's obsession.

Finally, on our last full day in the area, it wasn't raining when I got up! I mixed up a batch of blueberry muffins, tossed them in the oven and went outside and made a campfire! We had muffins and coffee around the campfire at 8 am.

Couple of boo-boos to mention (I must love public humiliation). When I parked at the theater, I parked next to a light post. The post was in concrete. I made a mental note to back out of the spot. Two hours later, that mental note escaped me. Oopsie! Yep, got a nice scrape on the end of the bumper and the apron above the bumper.

Boo-boo two was a rookie big trailer driver error. When I pulled out of the campground and onto the county road, while I did pull out long for a wide turn, well, I didn't pull out quite far enough. Seems this stop sign on a metal pole jumped out and scraped the side of my new trailer - yikes! All I saw in my mirror was this stop sign flopping around on its post - too late. It was really too close to the driveway but I suppose I should have been more inside the lane. Live and learn. I think I can buff out most of the scrapes on the gel-coat. The real appearance issue will be the scrapes on the tinted dinette windows.

The rest of the trip home was great. Nice weather too. Like our last trip, I was able to pull off for lunch in a shopping center parking lot, park alongside a grassy area and run out the dinette slide while Nancy walked over to a nearby Fazoli's to get lunch. When she returned, puppies and I had the table set, the trailer heated up and we had a nice lunch - not in the cab of the truck for a change. As luck would have it, right there was a Petco too. Just like last time. So puppies got to do sme shopping in one of their favorite stores and on leashes, not in their bag.

Sorry for the long report - I'll post some pictures to this later in the week just to make it longer. Go here to see a few of the pictures I was able to get put up last night.

Happy Trails,

Jim

Attachments

• ruby_emme_car_02_lg.jpg
    ruby_emme_car_02_lg.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 11
  • rig_country_roads_lg.jpg
    rig_country_roads_lg.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 15
  • famous_daves_01_lg.jpg
    famous_daves_01_lg.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 3
  • famous_daves_02_lg.jpg
    famous_daves_02_lg.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 3
  • fishing_hall_of_fame_01_lg.jpg
    fishing_hall_of_fame_01_lg.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3
  • fishing_hall_of_fame_03_lg.jpg
    fishing_hall_of_fame_03_lg.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 4
  • lake_02_lg.jpg
    lake_02_lg.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 6
  • lake_chip_cg_site_fire_01_lg.jpg
    lake_chip_cg_site_fire_01_lg.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
  • lake_chip_cg_site_fire_03_lg.jpg
    lake_chip_cg_site_fire_03_lg.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 12
  • truck_damage_lg.jpg
    truck_damage_lg.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 9
  • lake_chip_cg_site_fire_02_lg.jpg
    lake_chip_cg_site_fire_02_lg.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 10
  • lake_chip_cg_sign_lg.jpg
    lake_chip_cg_sign_lg.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

rosco

trip

Jim. I love your reports... They are real and they provide me with great information... The good and the bad and the Ugly (scatch) Real sorry about your encounter with the stop sign and the post but again it's real and makes me want to be part of it.... Anyways thanks again and please continue to keep us posted ..

jbeletti

Hi Rosco,

Thanks for the kind words. I put up a few pictures on my post above. Time to add more to my website too. Take care,

Jim

J-W&E

We are also going to Lake Chippewa Campground

Hi Jim,

We picked up our new GC on May 5th. We just love it. We are busy with starting to pack our household posessions into the trailer and putting the rest in storage. Our home has sold and we will be closing on July 22nd and then we are off FULL-TIMING.:) :) :)

We checked out the Chippewa Campground on the web. It looks so nice we have made reservations for the last week of August and first week September. You mention that the last 60 miles were full of chuck holes and you returned by another route that was good road. What route is GOOD road so we don't take the wrong way. :confused:

Sorry to hear about the scrapes to the truck and trailer. I am glad just a scrape and no real damage.

Thanks for the "tip" about Lake Chippewa.

Last edited:

jbeletti

Hi Jim and Wilma,

Sounds like I am really putting myself on the line here with you making reservations based on my comments! Seriously though, I'm glad you trust my judgement. It was a nice place. Like all places up there though, I am sure they are really busy "in-season" and know it may not be as peaceful as we found it to be early in the season.

From 53, take 63 East into Hayward, then B east to CC, then south to the campground. What I suggest you avoid is CC south of the campground. We got off 53 sooner and went straight north and that was our undoing as the road was not so much full of chuck holes as much as it had many, many repairs (lines going across the pavement). Portions of it as we got north of Bruce were pretty winding as well which meant much reduced speeds. I am certain that the more direct route we went took us much longer than the longer, but better quality route on the way home.

Best of luck to you and do post back after you've stayed at Lake Chippewa Campground.

Jim