HD Truck Bias? Down with the "1/2 Ton" trucks?

Kraythe

I am just curious why there is such a heavy bias on the forum against the 150 or 1500 sized trucks. I recognize that the HD trucks can pull more but when I can afford to have a TV that is dedicated to that task I might consider it. Alas I am just a poor family man and cant afford to buy a truck for a single purpose or afford to drive an HD to work 5 days a week at 30 miles a day.

I was under the impression that one of the strengths of the heartland Northtrails are their ability to be pulled by the so-called 1/2 ton (though that is a bad misnomer) trucks. Yet I see post after post of "yeah you need to sell and upgrade to HD truck." Do people actually sell a truck and take a $5,000 bath on value to pull a $20k to 30k trailer? Those people have more money than me I guess.

So what gives?

nhunter

Most of the rv's easily outclass a half ton. My 3600RL almost outclasses my F-350 SRW. If I had a North Trail I would likely only have a half ton. I don't think there is a bias against the half ton just the big trailers are too heavy.

Earl

Hi Kraythe. I'm new to this forum so can't really comment about the biases here. I do know we have a 1/2 ton (which as you say, is a misnomer--it's way more than that) and have pulled 5ers and trailers for years. Presently we have a Keystone Springdale 25RL and are very happy with the pull. Sure those big diesels roar past us going up steep grades. But as long as we take our time I love my Silverado 1500 for it's comfort and its ease when I'm not pulling our trailer.

I am only considering upgrading because we are planning to go full time or semi full time and want a bigger RV that we can live in. Short of spending months on the road I wouldn't give up my 1500. Don't listen to those who say bigger is better. It's not and we have been Rving for 40 years with nothing bigger than a 1/2 ton.

creeper

If you could though, explain how your truck could have both rear end ratios.

If the trailer weighs more that the truck, you can be in real trouble in an emergency.

A couple of points: It's called a 2 speed rear. Most trailers outweigh their tow vehicle, does that mean we're all in real trouble? :):) My truck weighs 8800 lbs, my camper weight 12k..

For the OP many people think BIGGER is better and will recomend a MDT to haul a Scamp.

To haul with a F150 you will need a LIGHT trailer and do some suspension upgrades, unless you like your lights pointing at the tops of trees. Ford puts REAL soft suspensions in the F150's.

I've towed WAY over the limit for my F150. ( Heavy duty trailer and backhoe). Not something I would do often.

IF a camper is within the limits of the F150, add in some timbrens and maybe a brake upgrade if needed you'll be alright. Just don't expect to be storming up hills and don't get upset when it's pulling hard up them.

Last edited:

Kraythe

A couple of points: It's called a 2 speed rear.

You know I wondered about that. I thought maybe the other ratio engaged in tow/haul mode. More information on this would be of interest. I just know that it says 3.55/3.73 on the sticker and towing guide.

For the OP many people think BIGGER is better and will recomend a MDT to haul a Scamp.

LOL what is a Scamp?

To haul with a F150 you will need a LIGHT trailer and do some suspension upgrades, unless you like your lights pointing at the tops of trees. Ford puts REAL soft suspensions in the F150's.

I have been considering getting firestone airbags for the rear suspension.

IF a camper is within the limits of the F150, add in some timbrens and maybe a brake upgrade if needed you'll be alright. Just don't expect to be storming up hills and don't get upset when it's pulling hard up them.

I dont mind doing 45 on steep hills like the i70 corridor (12% grade for 10 miles). As long as I am not doing 45 on a flat road or moderate hills I will be happy.

creeper

A 2 speed rear is an add on that you would put in after market. The gear rations you see in the towing guide are for which ever optioned rear you ordered with your truck.

The tow haul mode changes the shift patterns of the transmission. It holds the trans in a lower gear longer. When slowing down it down shifts to slow you, rather then coast.

Scamp :)

ScampSetup.jpg

You can look into Airbags (more things to go wrong/maintain or Timbrens. Each has their pros/cons.

You may being doing 45 on moderate hills. ..

Howzit

...my only gripe with 'half-tons' is no diesel option. Ford put their 4.4l v8 Navistar on hold for 2010 but I understand GM is still a go for their 4.5l V8 Duramax.

Your 'half-ton' should be fine for your application - just no room to upgrade to something bigger later.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hmm, even with 1400 remaining in GCWR with both truck and trailer maxed ? That might be an issue.
Actually with your truck and trailer at max GVRW, you would be 1400# over your GCWR. I say this based on the numbers in your original post when you asked for opinions on the combination. About 8 years ago I had a 2001 GMC Yukon. Not the XL. It was rated to tow 7700# and I don't remember the weight specs for the vehicle. I pulled a 27ft Dutchman with 1 slide and a front Kitchen. That trailer was heavy. Heavier than the weight label. I figure (after the purchase) I had close to 900# on the tongue. While towing I couldn't use overdrive and the engine was always revving at 2600 to 3000 rpms at highway speeds. At that point I wished I had a heavier tow vehicle but like you we only used it for weekend trips and such. I don't think the forum is biased against 1/2 tons. Just being realistic when it comes to tow combos. There are many owners, both Heartland and other brands towing more than they should with both 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. It's a choice we/they make. You need to make the same choice. When you ask for an opinion, thats exactly what you will get.;) Enjoy whatever you decide to purchase.

Kraythe

Actually with your truck and trailer at max GVRW, you would be 1400# over your GCWR. I say this based on the numbers in your original post when you asked for opinions on the combination. About 8 years ago I had a 2001 GMC Yukon. Not the XL. It was rated to tow 7700# and I don't remember the weight specs for the vehicle.

How do you figure that? The GCWR of my truck is 15,500# and the GVWR of the truck is 7200# and the GVWR of the trailer is 6900#. By my math those add up to 14,100# leaving 1400# to spare.

The tongue weight is a lot closer. I would be interested in hearing what the actual tongue weight is of the 31QBS while loaded for camping.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
How do you figure that? The GCWR of my truck is 15,500# and the GVWR of the truck is 7200# and the GVWR of the trailer is 6900#. By my math those add up to 14,100# leaving 1400# to spare.

The tongue weight is a lot closer. I would be interested in hearing what the actual tongue weight is of the 31QBS while loaded for camping.
My apologies, When I read your first post with the numbers I took the 9700# Max conventional trailer weight instead of the 6900# Trailers GVRW. It was a coincidence that the difference was 1400# Aside from that, you can expect your tongue weight to be anywhere from 700 to 1000 lbs. depending on how you load and what you carry. Add to that everything in the truck including fuel and cargo. It will be close but the numbers may work out right. Again , sorry for my misread of the numbers. Also, you should be able to research your VIN to determine which axle ratio you have. If it's the 3.73 you are better off.

leftyf

SSG Stumpy-VA Terrorist
A half ton pickup can pull the same load as a 3/4 T all things considered. I pulled an AS with a 1/2T for 6 years over 50K miles.

It just won't pull it as long. HD is not a misnomer. If you match the trailer to the truck no problems. Most people don't.

Or as my dad used to say, "Don't come crying to me when it blows up in your face.

Shadowchek

I pulled a 24' Dutchmen fifth wheel with a 98 dodge 4wd 5.9L the weight on the 5ver was 6800 and it worked. It always made me a bit nervous going down hill and I spent a lot more time than I liked in second gear. If the road went up hill at all I would be in second gear. I also found that my brakes would wear out pretty quick and get hot real fast even though I used the 5ver breaks as much as possible. The bearings in my rear end went out at 86'000 miles. I just always felt like I was abusing the truck every time I pulled the 5th wheel. All that being said it worked out for us you just have to take it easy especially on the downhills. If that was all we could afford to do right now I would do it again in a heartbeat although it sure feels a lot safer in the Heavy duty truck. Don't let any of us stop you just be careful and enjoy.

Greg

tkdmike

I have to agree with several posts - I don't think there is a bias against 1/2 ton trucks, its just that many of the Heartland trailers are too heavy to safely pull with a 1/2 ton. That doesn't mean that a 1/2 ton can't pull the trailer, but it means there is a question of whether or not it should pull the trailer.

I see a lot of trailers being pulled and read about a lot of trailers being pulled in which the truck and trailer are not matched. People may manage and never have an accident or incident and their vehicles may hold up alright. But there are also lots of stories floating around about rear ends blowing, tires or axles giving out, brakes over-heating and failing(followed a trailer down the pass between Silverton and Durango with trailer breaks smoking and tires starting to smoke the whole way), and people losing control because of mis-matched rigs.

Your set up sounds fine and should be safe and enjoyable. But yes, I took a bath and sold a 3/4 ton diesel and bought a 1 1/2 ton F450 diesel to pull my 3600RL. The 3/4 ton would certainly pull it, but axles, wheels, suspension are not set up for that much weight and it made me nervous. For me the safety issue was worth the money. Every one has to do what they feel comfortable with and what they are able to be responsible for (self and others on the road). Like Greg said, be careful and enjoy. Your rig is fine.

2010augusta

No bias from me either. If you have a good 1/2 ton and a light weight trailer like the north trail works for you, then you are all set and should be safe. My wife and I wanted/needed a Landmark because we full-time, and at a loaded weight of just over 16,000 lbs, I sold my old f-350 TD and we bought a great used F-450 because that is what we felt like we needed to be safe as we travel. The bigger trucks give more options for trailers and make towing them easier. We have friends the have nice travel trailers and pull them with 1/2 tons, and they are very happy. travel safe.

You will definately have no problem with a 1/2 ton truck, especially if you add air bags to your truck. I have them on my F250 and it is the best modification to do to the suspension without spending an arm and a leg. Got mine on e-bay for about 250.00, and took about 3hrs to install.

Delaine and Lindy

Been around Trucks all my life, and learned many years ago you must have the equipment to do the job. I also learned that gadgets don't do nothing but burn up good money. In most cases its a feel good thing. I have owned many 1/2 ton Trucks and in most cases they were all over loaded, but did own a 2006 s/b which I wish I still had instead of a car but when She wants a car you get a car. I did install a set of Timbens on a 2500HD and made one trip and removed them. And a month later went to a 3500HD and have no need for any suspension gadgets. It depends on what weight you want to pull. Most 2500HD's have a problem with the Pin weight. But if your happy thats what counts. I also believe you can never have to much Truck. GBY.....