Heartland 2017 3890SS

My wife and I are about to drop sone significant cash on a used 2017 Heartland Bighorn Model 3890SS (Slide in a slide) from a private seller. I have heard rumors about issues Heartland had in their manufacturing process that could lead to de-lamination down the road. I’ve also heard issues of holding tanks freezing. I’m wondering if anyone out there has experienced any of these, or other issues. Any help that is provided is appreciated!

danemayer

Hi insidescoop,

There are occasional reports of delamination on this forum, but they're infrequent and wouldn't support an argument that there's any kind of general manufacturing problem. And while delamination can occasionally be traced back to a manufacturing problem, it's most commonly due to water intrusion.

As for holding tanks freezing, if you are in ambient temps below the low 20s (F), it's hard to keep the underbelly temps above freezing, even if you run the furnace with a thermostat setting of 72. The YETI package, if the trailer you're buying is so equipped, includes tank heating pads that will protect tanks from freezing.

If you're going to be in extreme cold weather, and the trailer you buy doesn't have them, you should invest in tank heating pads regardless of what brand of trailer you buy. Of course it's easier to install at the factory than in the field. But it is possible to install them locally.

You should understand that in the RV world, warranties are only for the original purchaser. You will have no warranty coverage. Regardless of whether the issue is minor or major, it's very unlikely you'll get any help from any RV manufacturer, or any RV appliance manufacturer. So take some of the money you save by buying used, and set it aside in case you need repairs.

Thank you for the reply. You have offered some excellent advice. I believe the trailer is equipped with the Yeti package but will ask just to be sure. Much appreciated!

P.S. I'm a HUGE dog lover. We currently have Stella the wonder Vizsla! Her and Callie would have too much fun running around.