Heartland Eyeing Widespread Growth For 2015

jbeletti

LINK to article on RVBusiness.com

Heartland Eyeing Widespread Growth For 2015

January 19, 2015 by Dave Barbulesco

Heartland RV’s renovated trailer facility

Heartland Recreational Vehicles LLC President Chris Hermon acknowledges that despite the company’s multifaceted expansion plans this year, there is still a tendency to look over the shoulder – a holdover from the fallout the industry endured in the face of the country’s economic tsunami. But he also recognizes that the time is right to jump on another wave.

“When you look at the market, there continues to be a consistent influx of customers – and it’s been happening for the past several years,” Hermon said. “There’s momentum, which is the result of sustained demand. And when there’s momentum, it becomes obvious we need to hit the accelerator and capitalize as long as the run lasts. You go when the sun is shining, and it’s shining pretty bright right now.”

In early January, the Thor Industries Inc. division acquired Howe, Ind.-based Cruiser RV and sister company DRV (see related story). The move effectively expands Heartland’s presence in the lightweight trailer and luxury fifth-wheels markets.

Heartland is also in the midst of a revamp of production facilities at its Elkhart, Ind., campus, a twofold process that includes beefing up capacity while improving efficiencies. At the same time, the builder is placing equal emphasis on its back-end operations, initiating several projects designed to further cement relationships with its dealer body and bridge the gap with end users.

“One of the big projects we’re implementing is a state-of-the-art system that will speed up communication between dealer personnel and Heartland’s service people,” Hermon said. “When the communication process moves faster, it makes life easier for both parties and ultimately translates into a happier customer.”

The company has also purchased a building across the street from its current parts and warranty facility that will be transformed into a repair center equipped with 10 to 12 service bays.

“Customers will be able to call in and set up service, or our dealers will be able to send their customers here,” Hermon said. “Right now, that’s unheard of among towable builders. Our goal is to give customers a Lexus-like service experience. There will be some growing pains, but we are committed to being a leader in the industry with regard to customer service.

“Every OEM can build cool product,” he added. “But we’re taking a long-range view. We want to be the company that people want to do business with.”

On the manufacturing side, Heartland is addressing key segments of the marketplace where dealers need quicker turns on product. Projects include:

• Heartland remodeled an existing facility to house production of the company’s lightweight laminated North Trail and Wilderness travel trailer brands. Hermon reported that the plant is up and running, and will increase production capabilities 25% through additional square footage coupled with lean manufacturing concepts to streamline operations.
  • The move to relocate operations for its lightweight trailers will allow Heartland to utilize the vacated plant for production of its Edge, Road Warrior, Cyclone and Torque toy haulers. “Over the next two or three months, we will be retrofitting the facility to run our toy haulers,” Hermon said. “This will give us a second line to handle future growth.”
  • The plant used for the production of Sundance, Elkridge, Gateway and Oakmont mid-priced luxury fifth-wheels has been expanded to increase production capabilities while also improving overall quality.
  • Heartland has renovated a facility in Nappanee, Ind., for the dedicated production of destination trailers. “The plant will give us an edge in the extended-stay trailer market, allowing us to build year-round,” Hermon said.
  • Hermon reported that Heartland has plans to expand operations to the West Coast, tentatively targeted for early 2016. “It will allow us to better support dealers in that region,” he said.
  • Heartland purchased another building at its Elkhart campus to centralize administrative departments, including sales, marketing, purchasing and finance. Lamination operations have been moved to the front of the building “bringing all our lamination production under one roof,” Hermon said. “Ultimately all these moves will make make us more efficient.”

Kbvols

Great article Jim thanks for sharing. Some companies/leaders just get it. I believe Heartland with Chris's leadership is one that gets it. Seems to be truly focused on the customer from both a service aspect and experience aspect.

Gaffer

What does this mean?...
  • Hermon reported that Heartland has plans to expand operations to the West Coast, tentatively targeted for early 2016. “It will allow us to better support dealers in that region,” he said.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

What does this mean?...

PJ - I don't have any specifics on this. My "guess" is some sort of RV production.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Jim - is the production line for Big Country, Big Horn and Landmarks going to stay the same and at the same location?

jbeletti

Jim - is the production line for Big Country, Big Horn and Landmarks going to stay the same and at the same location?

Byrd - that is a good question. I have no information from Heartland but my own speculation is that one day, Landmark might find it's own production line. It's been my dream for years. It would also give BH and BC some additional capacity. But as I've said, this is my personal speculation and nothing Heartland has stated.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The West Coast" thing just might be for a parts warehouse??? Faster turn around for parts delivery our here. WHOOOPIE