Heartland Travel Trailers - Reviews and Opinions

Parmela

New here and would appreciate any help/feedback anyone can give me.

My husband and I have recently retired and would like to travel. We looked at the Heartland 5th wheels today and they seem to be very well made and super nice......but after some reflection, they are more than we really need.

So, we're now considering the Heartland travel trailers. I really like the looks of the NT King 32RLTS.

Can anybody tell me their experience with owning a Heartland travel trailer?

jimtoo

Hi Parmela,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

You will hear the good and the bad here. Heartland does have really good customer service and good warranty service. They will even let independent repair techs do warranty work for them provided it is pre approved in some cases.

We have had a Heartland unit for about 6 years now and love ours. Our daughter and SIL purchased a Noth Trail (I think same as your looking at) just over a year ago and have had no problems and love it.

I'm sure you will get more replies soon. Join us and make lots of great memories traveling and attending Heartland rallies, meeting lots of great folks and seeing our great, beautiful country.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 22RK (now called the 24RK) . . .

We've had it for two years and LOVE IT!

We have had relatively minor issues with our trailer, and have never once had any kind of failure while on the road with it.

Just parked it for the season and can't wait for spring to come so we can get it out and hit the road again!

EstesPark-IMG_2845.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg Campout2012-PC270054.jpg CampinKitties-P9020527.jpg CamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg PrairieDogs-IMGP0247.jpg Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg NewTruckTrailerLevel-IMG_20140918_130913251.jpg

I just threw that prairie dog shot in there for the heck of it! :cool:

And don't forget to join the Heartland Owners Club (free for the first year) and go to the campouts and rallies!

What a blast and you'll meet a bunch of new friends to travel and camp with!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We just put ours away as well. It was a leap of faith getting our first TT after owning 2 fifth wheels. We do not lack for space at all. Have had a few minor things break on it our first summer but the warranty process was easy, received my parts quickly, and they allowed I do the work myself or take it in. The wife and I are not disappointing in our purchase.

AnnR

We have had our 2011 Heartland Sundance 3200 FK (yes, it is a TT, not a Sundance 5th wheel) since the end of 2011. We love it. There have been some very minor problems, but nothing that I wouldn't expect from any other TT. The issues included a small leak from a turned under slide out seal (fixed in about 30 seconds with instructions from this forum) and a sliding screen door on the patio door that we just can't adjust to our satisfaction, but the sliding glass door works just fine. Last year we went to the Milwaukee RV show and didn't see any other brand of trailer that we liked better than, or even half as much as ours, even in MUCH higher price ranges. The things that still amaze and impress me are the small details of quality, like the super strong kitchen drawers, solid surface counter tops and storage under the kitchen chair cushions. It's also very quiet inside, and it stayed very warm in low 30 degree weather using only the electric fireplace. One of the greatest things about owning a Heartland is this forum. Everyone is so helpful; if you have any questions or problems, someone will give you a solution or advice, or at least make you laugh.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
One of the greatest things about owning a Heartland is this forum.

Everyone is so helpful; if you have any questions or problems, someone will give you a solution or advice, or at least make you laugh.

Ain't that the truth!

And even better is the Heartland Owners Club, which is free for the first year, and worth every penny per year after that!

We've attended two Colorado HOC Rallies and have had so much fun that it should be illegal! :eek:

Not too mention that you'll make a whole bunch of new friends with the same passion that you have . . . RV'ing!

Rifle2014-IMG_20140920_173417783.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2202.jpg ColoHOC2014RallyCampfire-IMG_2330.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2220.jpg HOCRally-IMG_2196.jpg SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg Camping11MileSmall-IMG_0420.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg SDDevilsTowerTruck-IMG_0564.jpg Campout2012-PC270054.jpg Campout2012-PC250007.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

Attachments

• SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg
    SDMtRushmore-IMG_0760.jpg
    493 KB · Views: 45

SeattleLion

We went the other way. We started with a Kodiak (not Heartland) TT. It felt "closed in" to us. Last February we walked through the Big Horn 5th wheel and it felt so open that we fell in love with it and at a big loss traded up. I didn't like the low ceilings in the TT. I am 6'2" and I always felt squeezed. Initially, we considered 5'vers too big and long. Our TT was 27ft. But after a summer traveling in the TT, we came to appreciate the value of something bigger. Just another perspective.

Crumgater

That TT you picked is 2 feet longer than our 34' Elkridge 5er... we love the stability of pulling a 5th wheel. We regularly drive through some windy places (i.e. Columbia Gorge) and never stress out over wind gusts.

I do like that TT layout you picked. Rotating the TV to view outside is a great option!

I think any Heartland product you pick will bring you lots of fun times.
And, as already mentioned - this forum is a great resource, no matter which one you pick!

pegmikef

We have had two Heartland lightweight TTs (Edge M21 and North Trail 26LRSS) and now have a fiver. We enjoyed both of our TTs and had zero problems (except for blow max tires) with them. The Edge became too small very quickly on the occasions we were confined to it so we traded it off for the North Trail. It also became small too so now we have the fiver. In a lot of ways I miss the TTs. Since I grew up with tongue towing (boats, utility trailers, tts, etc) it was quite a change for me and I still can't back it up as well as I could the TTs. The main thing I miss is the fiver has really limited us from camping in a lot of sites at state and national parks, forests, and other facilities because of its size and especially the height. It just won't fit in a lot of wooded sites. That being said, we still love the convenience and spaciousness of our fiver.

Excerpt of original post...

8 NOV 2020
To: Gander RV and Heartland RV Management
Subject: Experience with GANDER RV (Saint Augustine Fl-Dealer) and Heartland RV (manufacture) in
reference to Pioneer RG-22 Camper/Trailer

Admin note: I felt this private letter addressed to Gander RV and Heartland RV Management should not be posted here. I have forwarded it to our VP of Customer Service and Quality.

Jim Beletti

danemayer

08 NOV 2020
To: Gander RV and Heartland RV Management
Subject: Experience with GANDER RV (Saint Augustine Fl-Dealer) and Heartland RV (manufacture) in
reference to Pioneer RG-22 Camper/Trailer

Hi John_Spyker,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It sounds like you've had an unfortunate and disappointing experience. While you didn't ask for advice, let me offer you some.

Repair turnaround time in the entire industry is a major problem that's being worked on by the RV Dealer Association and the RV Industry Association. Dealer service departments are often torn between supporting sales, and supporting customers who have already taken delivery. To avoid that problem, you might want to consider finding a different service location; perhaps an independent servicer whose business depends on prompt service and customer satisfaction. For any Heartland warranty work, you'd need prior approval from Heartland Customer Service to use a non-Heartland dealer or independent shop. They're pretty accommodating about that.

You should also be aware that Covid-19 issues have led to parts shortages making turnaround time even worse in recent months. If a part your trailer needs is one that's in short supply, there may not be much anyone can do to help in the short term.

Finally, while it's reasonable to expect your selling dealer to be your advocate in resolving warranty problems and getting approval from Heartland where required, many of us have found that calling Heartland Customer Service directly can often help move things along a bit faster.

CDN

B and B
We are on second Heartland Fiver. We had a Bighorn and upgraded to Landmark Louisville. We have 2 SOB's which we found lessor quality. Any maker has issues. I seem to have had less issues with Heartland. A great dealer is important in the mix. Make sure when you do choose your trailer you have enough truck to pull it. Do a full inspection and do not take delivery until all issues are dealt with.

Dr53

My husband and I have recently retired and would like to travel. We looked at the Heartland 5th wheels today and they seem to be very well made and super nice......but after some reflection, they are more than we really need.

So, we're now considering the Heartland travel trailers. I really like the looks of the NT King 32RLTS.

We bought a heartland mallard m27 two years ago. At the rate it's breaking down well be lucky if its still running in 2 more. The quality of construction is awful, must have been made by the late shift.
Bought it from camping world, heartland covered all repairs for the first year. Nothing after that. Im told it's out of warranty and I'm on my own.
So two years in...
The element in the electric water heater went out
The seals around the slide have cracked and torn out
The trailer brakes have had to be replaced
The subfloor under the vinyl has a loose bolt and is raising the vinyl flooring
I wouldn't buy another heartland mallard. Look for better quality construction and followup service before you buy.

mwc

Ditto Dr53 ! I have a 2018 Cyclone 4151, falling apart, built like crap, rotted slideouts already, getting ready to cost me big money. List of things wrong way too long. No Heartland for me ever again!

Oldelevatorman

We bought a heartland mallard m27 two years ago. At the rate it's breaking down well be lucky if its still running in 2 more. The quality of construction is awful, must have been made by the late shift.
Bought it from camping world, heartland covered all repairs for the first year. Nothing after that. Im told it's out of warranty and I'm on my own.
So two years in...
The element in the electric water heater went out
The seals around the slide have cracked and torn out
The trailer brakes have had to be replaced
The subfloor under the vinyl has a loose bolt and is raising the vinyl flooring
I wouldn't buy another heartland mallard. Look for better quality construction and followup service before you buy.

Other than the sub floor problem, seals wear out as do brakes and Heartland doesn’t make water heaters. My seals average maybe 6 months and I replace them. Did you ever treat the seals with anything? A lot of problems are caused by rough roads, trailer tires not being balanced etc.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

Last edited:
We recently bought a 2019 North Trail 22FBS. The trailer is awesome. Huge kitchen area and more storage and closet space then we need. Me and my wife are retired, living in Phoenix. Though the trailer is suppose to be 22' it's 29 1/2 ft long. Floor plan is the most important thing over how long it is. Longer is not always better.

Dr53

Our 2020 heartland mallard is a 30 ft pull behind. I use a 2500 gmc to pull it. The mallard is an ultralite, and it's an entry level trailer, it was inexpensive, we bought it new thinking we would have less problems. We've actually had several problems with it, a few under warranty, and a few out of warranty. When it works right it's great! I'm learning that all trailers have issues and are high maintenance. Good rv repair shops are hard to find and expensive. I would talk to as many rv shops as you can and get their opinion on the best built rigs.

Yes. Bought one less than a month ago from camping world. pioneer BH270. This unit is already falling apart. The interior doors will not close, the camping wall is blowing out about to collapse. This unit is so bad and the quality is legendarily horrible. You and anybody else looking for an RV. Stay away from anything made at Heartland be and stay by away from Camping World. You have been made by aware. What you do now could be life changing in a bad way. Beware

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Curious, a month old, have you talked to Camping World or Heartland about repairs?

Peace
Dave