Heat duct and black tanks

TrailCreek

I'm worried that I missed a key element to my winter camping plan in cold weather. I believe that the heat ducts allow some warm air into the area where the tanks are, but now worry that the front tanks have no heat ducts to provide that heat. With the elevated floor and heat registers in the bedroom and bathroom, can anyone tell me if the main heat duct goes far enough forward to provide a little heat to the front black and grey tanks?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

On our 2018 Road Warrior, the underbelly does have a heat source. for our tanks. It is just a heat duct off the furnace discharging air into that area.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I reworked the heat ducts in our ‘17 Bighorn ie:shortened and removed kinks to improve air flow. During the process I discovered the duct to “heat the belly” is a small 2” duct. In our rig it was kinked/doubled over on itself and was providing little heat. Obviously I straightened it out to be more efficient. I have a picture once I find it I’ll post it. During cold/below freezing temperatures I turn on a heat lamp behind the basement wall. There is also a remote thermometer sensor there to monitor the temperature

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
That small gray duct in the photo center below the wire bundle is open ended under the floor. It’s benefit is minimal IMO

1671369877730.jpeg

sengli

If it gets really cold, and windy your furnace will run constantly. Accordingly the tanks should have access to some heat. Eventually if its cold enough for a long enough period of time? The issue is the coroplast under neath is a cover, not a sealed area.

TrailCreek

I can see the "stuff" in my half bath black tank and used a laser thermometer to scan the liquid. 67 degrees with outdoor temps in the low 20's. I hope the front tank has similar heat. No water to scan that tank's contents. I will be skirting it tomorrow. We expect below zero temps and I will run a small space heater in the skirted area.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

centerline

most modern units have a little bit of heat diverted to the underbelly, which is not a completely air tight area, but should be well sealed against dust and wind..... the only place where mine is open to the atmosphere is where the slide cylinder rams protrude thru the frame.....

the corroplast is a thin sealing barrier, and some units have a sheet of "bubble wrap" mylar as insulation between the thin corroplast and the underbelly components, which the way its "installed" is extremely passive if not totally useless as insulation...
but as long as it has heated airflow IN to it, the space will stay warmer than the outside temps.....

I dont camp much in freezing weather, but if I did I would get a thermometer with a remote sensing probe for the area of the tanks, as this would show me at a glance if there is any need for concern...