Heat expansion of G614 tires

ILH

Yesterday I had new Goodyear G614s installed on my RW due to a blowout this week. Upon return to my campsite from the tire dealer I put my X chalks in place between the tires - as I always do. This morning the chalks were so lose that they were falling out.

Obviously the tires contracted when they cooled - but:

1. I hadn't driven at high speed (above 30 mph) or more than about 5 miles.
2. The ambient temperature was low yesterday.

I'm just really surprised by the amount of expansion / contraction. Anybody else notice this?

pegmikef

I never noticed anything like that, but I know that it doesn't take much for the psi to go up five or ten pounds (per my tpms)

Jim.Allison

Temperature and altitude effect tire pressure wildly, but I doubt that the G614 carcass is going to expand and contract that much. Look for another explanation.
Yesterday I had new Goodyear G614s installed on my RW due to a blowout this week. Upon return to my campsite from the tire dealer I put my X chalks in place between the tires - as I always do. This morning the chalks were so lose that they were falling out.

Obviously the tires contracted when they cooled - but:

1. I hadn't driven at high speed (above 30 mph) or more than about 5 miles.
2. The ambient temperature was low yesterday.

I'm just really surprised by the amount of expansion / contraction. Anybody else notice this?

ILH

Keep in mind its been hovering around 60F today in the Lake George area of NY state. Burr.

branson4020

Icantre Member
I'm with Jim on this one. Doesn't seem likely that pressure change caused this effect. 10 degrees change is about 2psi change, so if you raise the tire temp from 60 degrees to 120 degress, your only going to pick up about 12 lbs of pressure.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Just a thought, make sure the space between the tires is approximately equal on both sides of the rig.
Once had a SOB that had one axle sliding around out of position.
Trace

danemayer

Do you have the autolevel system? As you raise and lower the trailer, the spacing changes and x-chocks can fall out.

ILH

Do you have the autolevel system? As you raise and lower the trailer, the spacing changes and x-chocks can fall out.

You gave me an 'aha!' moment! My rig was out of level front to back, and while I had the rear stabilizers down, I brought down the front struts. This would have increased the distance between the tires.

brianharrison

That is what I do. Some will adjust pressure for measured or estimated loads. I have not measured individual weights on my tires so I keep them at 110 psi (70F)

Brian

xlrEAGLE1

I have a 2014 Bighorn 3160EL with GY G614's on it. What do you guys with G614's run for PSI? Do you just set them at 110 regardless of load? And as for this talk of 70 degrees as the "cold temp", I have read Good Years Load Charts and they do not mention 70 degrees anywhere. It says cold inflation is set at the "prevailing atmospheric temperature" for the loaction you are at. I live in Florida and 70 degress is not prevailing. So, as I read it, Good Years chart says that I should inflate my tires after they have sat for at least 3 hours to a maximum of 110psi using the prevailing temperature for the location I am at, not 70 degrees. For those of you who keep mentioning 70 degrees, can you please disclose your source with a valid link, so I can read it?

Here is just one of mine:
http://www.goodyeartrucktires.com/pdf/resources/publications/2010_loadinflation.pdf

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I feel your X chocks fell out do to leveling of the rig after placement of chocks and the release of axel/tire load. When load is released from tires and axels the tires will separarte from each other abit and the chock is no longer expanded enough to hold it in place. Place chocks after leveling is my practice and recheck after travel is opened and set up inside. Weight redistribution may also cause tire load to change thus reduce or increaseing space between tires.

pegmikef

I feel your X chocks fell out do to leveling of the rig after placement of chocks and the release of axel/tire load. When load is released from tires and axels the tires will separarte from each other abit and the chock is no longer expanded enough to hold it in place. Place chocks after leveling is my practice and recheck after travel is opened and set up inside. Weight redistribution may also cause tire load to change thus reduce or increaseing space between tires.

The instructions that came with my X chocks said not to install them untill the rig was leveled.

azbigfoot

I agree ... the X-Chocks fall out during leveling adjustments. It has happened to me. In fact if you forget to take them out before retracting the autolevelers you can bend the X-Chock (has happened to me). I won't be buying the X-Chocks anymore. Have had too many problems with them

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I agree ... the X-Chocks fall out during leveling adjustments. It has happened to me. In fact if you forget to take them out before retracting the autolevelers you can bend the X-Chock (has happened to me). I won't be buying the X-Chocks anymore. Have had too many problems with them

Maybe this is a 5th-wheel thing . . . because I love the X-chocks!

Once I park the trailer where I want it, I put the X-chocks in, unhook the TT from my hitch . . . then level to my heart's content!

I love them . . . no problems what-so-ever!

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg

I wonder if maybe you aren't making them tight enough?

jnbhobe

But they cost a lot more and don't seem to have any advantage over the one step..

Rotochoks lock the wheels from moving,one step just blocks the wheel from rolling. But that's why they make em different strokes for different folks