Heater problems

Bogie

You should assume the CO alarm is going off because there IS a problem. Don't use the heater and have it checked by a professional immediately. A CO leak can be deadly!

sengli

The CO monitors do have a limit on their life. They do wear out need to be replaced. I know on our old rig, the dealer replaced ours before we took delivery. My DW is so concerned about the chance of an CO issue she actually went to walmart and bought a plug auxiliary in monitor unit for the bedroom area as a stand alone backup.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
CO detectors are usually good for 7 to 10 years. They don’t like temperature extremes, so I always removed mine during winter storage and pulled the batteries. Always put a fresh one in at start of our season. Look on the back of the unit for the manufacture date. It should also have a list of the sounds it will make for low battery, defective unit, and actual CO detected.

It’s been my experience that the majority of CO calls I’ve run on were due to bad batteries or old units. That’s not to say I’ve never encountered an actual CO problem due to a faulty furnace or water heater. Some were due to poor venting of the exhaust and not the actual appliance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoefler

Firing the furnace after setting for a period of non use will collect dust, when fired of for the first time after setting, will burn off the dust producing carbon monoxide and sometimes smoke, setting off the alarm.
Also, if the alarm is 7 years or older from the date on the back, it needs to be replaced.