Heating vents...

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ok. glad to hear you put the mini-skirt back on! We probably don't need to see that.

But seriously, we need to think of others rather than ourselves. Other owners need to see pics whenever someone does something neat to their rig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agpopp

As far as the vents go, my Sundance has plastic floor registers that I feel like I am stepping through- anyone upgrade them to metal? I never got around to see if they area standard size.

jbeletti

As far as the vents go, my Sundance has plastic floor registers that I feel like I am stepping through- anyone upgrade them to metal? I never got around to see if they area standard size.

Many have upgraded to metal. Remove one and measure the part that goes in the hole in the floor and pickup what you like at the big box home improvement stores.

I have heard of a few people changing from metal to plastic on one or two closer to the furnace as they got too hot to the touch of a bare foot. Wonder if they had the registers closed off??

Bones

Many have upgraded to metal. Remove one and measure the part that goes in the hole in the floor and pickup what you like at the big box home improvement stores.

I have heard of a few people changing from metal to plastic on one or two closer to the furnace as they got too hot to the touch of a bare foot. Wonder if they had the registers closed off??

I have a metal one in the bathroom. and yes I have it mostly closed off. I could never figure out why it got so hot until I was working in the storage. This item will be on my list to move. The only thing I had to do was to drill holes in the register so I could fasten it down. Here is a pic of the two ducts in the basement area.

IMG_20151111_110931.jpgIMG_20151114_113953.jpg

Those two ducts there go straight into the bathroom vent then feed the master bedroom through the floor joist. My thought is that they are feeding two locations bathroom and bedroom but they don't realize that by just placing two ducts right smack at an exit without any type of restriction all the heat will go straight out into the bathroom. A fix would be to separate them. One feeds the bathroom and then one feeds the master bedroom.

My Prowler is at the dealer now for heater flow issues. Master and bathroom get hot rest of rooms not so much.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Like Bones, a single run feeds the bath and bedroom. I put a closing style vent (all of ours are metal) in our bath that restricts the air flow. Even with it almost closed the bath is still the warmest spot in the coach. Have not had any furnace issues with air flow.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I believe that the admonishment to not close off vents is primarily for the outlets on the furnace itself. But to maintain their legal CTA, they make it sound like any register restriction, even at the end of a 30+ foot run may cause problems. But it must be OK if the ductwork is folded over on itself or crimped through the framing. We put the adjustable vents in our rig back in 2010 and have not had a problem with it.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I believe that the admonishment to not close off vents is primarily for the outlets on the furnace itself. But to maintain their legal CTA, they make it sound like any register restriction, even at the end of a 30+ foot run may cause problems. But it must be OK if the ductwork is folded over on itself or crimped through the framing. We put the adjustable vents in our rig back in 2010 and have not had a problem with it.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, we just had ours fixed as the ducting runs to the kitchen and living room were kinked in the underbelly and was not getting any heat.

Upstairs in the bathroom and bedroom the heat was blasting and it got so hot up there that you couldn't stand to be up there!

I even tried putting a rug over the bedroom vent and a waste basket on top of the bathroom vent to try and force some heat downstairs . . . but that didn't work, either.

Now that it has been fixed, we are now getting heat out of all four vents, but the flow doesn't seem very strong out of any of them now . . . but at least the heat seems to be even from all four vents.

I'm going to give them a good run tomorrow to see how well the repair is as I need to spend some time in the trailer checking out all of the rest of the repairs to see if they were done right (so far I'm not all that impressed with the fixes).