Help! Colorado Chapter Members

Piperflyer

Starting to plan our trip to Colorado for the upcoming summer. Would like to hear do's & don'ts about traveling thru CO, great place not to miss seeing, campgrounds you would recommend, and any type of information you could give up to make it a great trip. We are not on any time schedule.
Thanks!!

jbeletti

I am new to CO and live just east of Colorado Springs. We've enjoyed touring Garden of the Gods park, touring (and eating) in Manitou Springs and taking the Cog Railway up to Pike's Peak (3 times). Much more to do in the area.

TedS

Durango. Narrow gage train to Silverton. Hour's drive to Mesa Verde. Four Corners monument. Dinosaur National Park up north.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Durango is this Texan's favorite place to visit. As mentioned, the Steam train trip to Silverton is amazing. The drive from Durango to Silverton to Ouray is amazing. Part of it called the Million Dollar Highway, hugs the cliff side.

There's rafting, jeeping, mine tours, hot springs, all nearby. And wonderful shopping and eating downtown. The ski slope at Purgatory has mountain biking, mini golf, an alpine coaster, and more.

We like Durango Riverside Resort, though most of the other parks in Durango are nice as well, just aired a little closer together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting to plan our trip to Colorado for the upcoming summer. Would like to hear do's & don'ts about traveling thru CO, great place not to miss seeing, campgrounds you would recommend, and any type of information you could give up to make it a great trip. We are not on any time schedule.
Thanks!!

No matter where you go in Colorado, it is beautiful. I highly recommend camping in the state parks. They are beautiful and usually about $20-22 a nite, BUT RESERVE EARLY. Also, National Forest areas are great for boondocking. My favorite town in Colorado is Ouray. They call it 'little Switzerland'. You could spend the entire summer roaming around the state and still have things left to do. We have lived here 38 years and there are still new things to see.

As for 'dos and don'ts' traffic in the Denver area is AWFUL during rush hour (legal pot has brought untold numbers of people to Colorado and, apparently, none know how to drive :angel:) - avoid as much as you can. Do make commercial/state campground reservations early or you will likely not find a site. If it looks interesting, do it. You will likely not be disappointed. Also, plan for a couple days to acclimate to the altitude. Stay WELL hydrated throughout your stay. Plan most activities in the AM, since afternoon thundershowers occur almost daily. (The don't last long but you don't want to be at the top of a mountain in the lightening.)

Enjoy your trip! It is a lovely place to be in the summer.

Roger

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Estes Park is the gateway to Rocky Mountain National Park and is a great place to spend a few days.

So much to see and do around there!

Our new favorite Colorado getaway is just west of Gunnison at the Blue Mesa, which is the largest body of water in the state of Colorado.

If you are in to boating, fishing and off-roading . . . this is the place!

ProwleratBlueMesa-P1010116.jpg ProwlerBlueMesaFall-P1010381.jpg

ProwlerBlueMesa-P1000480.jpg BlueMesaBoat-P1010814.jpg

And, the Black Canyon National Park is nearby, as is a whole bunch of other awesome places.

BlackCanyon-IMGP1754.jpg