Help Me Identify My AC Unit For Replacement

yamasaki

Hello,

I have a 2016/2017 Heartland Elkridge E255 Fifth Wheel. My main Dometic roof top AC is on its last leg. It barely cools anymore.

I want to replace it, but, ideally, I'd like to order the exact same unit so the replacement is a walk in the park and I can just do it myself. I'm pretty mechanically inclined (i build motocross and jetski engines, rebuild outboards, carbs, fuel injection pumps, etc), but I don't know anything about AC systems. I recharged the system in my truck for the first time in my life a few weeks ago lol.

Anyway, from what I understand, these are sealed units, and, i should be able to just unbolt the current unit and bolt the new one in in its place and just reconnect the wires?

If it's the same unit, do i have to do any caulking, or, is there an existing base plate for these things that i can just reuse/rebolt the new AC too? I dont wanna mess up my AC or camper, but, I also can't stand paying someone a million dollars to do something i can more than likely do myself. Ive just never done it before so I'm here asking questions and any advice/recommendations you can offer.

So .... first question, how can i be sure which Dometic model I have so i can order the same one again? .... second question, is this really a hard job or can a weekend warrior wrench turner easily do this themselves?

Thanks in advance.

jmarnell

If you look under the A/C cover on the roof, there should be a decal with the model number and serial number of your unit. Below is a photo of one of ours. Then you can check out that model number on the Dometic website. I've never messed with the unit, so I'll leave you second question on the ease of replacement to someone more knowledgable!
20171203_134159.jpg

yamasaki

Thank you for the quick reply. I was actually up on the roof right after i posted that and was taking pics of anything i could see. i saw that same label, but, mine is pretty faded. i can make out 15,000 btu, but not much else to be honest.

dometic_ac1.jpegdometic_ac2.jpegdometic_ac3.jpeg

yamasaki

While it was uncovered, i pulled that styrofoam cover on the right off, and, you can see right down into the living room! scary!

so i guess the unit is secured from the bottom, not bolted down on the roof itself. still looks simple/doable as long as my replacement unit has the same bolt patterns?

jmarnell

Looking at your photo, I can just make out the number B59516. That means it's the same as ours, the Dometic Brisk II Air Conditioner. If you Google that, you'll see links to owners manuals and installation documents. But to make sure, I would call Heartland Customer Service on Tuesday, give them your VIN number, and they should be able to confirm the model you have.

danemayer

Heartland may be able to tell you which unit your trailer has. Call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready.

david-steph2018

On our Road Warrior once you remove the inside cover off the ceiling there are 4 hold down bolts from the inside to the AC unit. Also there should be a gasket under the AC unit between the AC unit and roof. These 4 hold down bolts are approx. 6-7" long and the replacements bolts run about $20 for a set of four.

yamasaki

I pulled off the interior panel and you can see the four bolts holding the unit down and straight up through the roof to the top of the unit. This should be a breeze. I think the hardest part of this job is going to be hauling the new 75lb unit up and getting the old 75lb unit down.

I ordered a new 15,000BTU Brisk II. I do concur this is the correct/exact unit I have.

yamasaki

I just wanted to come back and say thanks to everyone. It was a 20 minute job to replace this AC. The hardest part about it was getting the AC up and onto the roof. Climbing a ladder with an AC over your shoulder is a **** of a trick lol.

Anyways, thanks again. She's blowing cold again and I would recommend this job to anyone as long as they can get that 75lb unit up and on the roof.