Help with Tundra and Mallard M325 setup

So we traded in our 25' Coleman for a new Mallard M325 and i am working to get the rig properly balanced. After several runs across the CAT scale and some tweaking on the Centerline TS hitch, i have the rig pulling great but i have a couple of issues that I'm looking for some help with.

1. the front of the trailer is running about 1.5 inches higher than the back. (slightly nose up) . i am in the bottom holes on the shank and cannot drop the head any lower. I asked the dealer about adding a longer shank but was told that the it would be too low and will drag when going over dips or big bumps. the top of the ball is at 20" currently which is supposed to be the "standard height"
  2. The dealer recommended just adding more weight to the truck but with the added AC unit and all of our gear, i am already over the tongue weight of the tundra.
  3. the rear height of the trailer is is only 18" from the bottom of the frame to the ground and it drags going over and ^ or V that have any rise or fall to them. (getting front down to at least level will help a bit.)
  4. I am inclined to leave the setup alone as the rig pulls great with no sway or porpoising and stops well.

Suggestions? Thoughts? Changing the TV is not an option so no need to post that.. :)

some info:
Tow Vehicle -
  • 2007 Tundra 5.7L 2WD Double Cab. 145.7" WB
  • Center Line TS hitch
  • GCWR 16,000
  • Max trailer wt - 10,600
  • Max Tongue Wt - 1060
  • GAW Front - 3900
  • GAW Rear - 4100

Trailer
  • 2017 Mallard M325
  • GVWR - 9600

Cat Scale Truck only (full tanks of gas and both my wife and I inside)
  • Front - 3260
  • Rear - 2600
  • Total - 5860
CAT Scale final weights (after adjusting WDH)
  • Front - 3140
  • Rear - 3860
  • Trailer - 8100
  • total - 15100

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I think what the dealer is recommending is that you move cargo weight to the payload of the pickup. To me that would be unreasonable for a inch and a half difference. If the front storage is anything like the Northtrail we used to own, I do not think moving anything would make a big enough difference. Is there any way you can get the axles on the trailer weighed separately?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

'Lil Guy'

If I understand you right, you're pulling with a nose high attitude. I had that problem with a lifted ram and our NT. I added taller tires to the trailer and solved the issue.

I think what the dealer is recommending is that you move cargo weight to the payload of the pickup. To me that would be unreasonable for a inch and a half difference. If the front storage is anything like the Northtrail we used to own, I do not think moving anything would make a big enough difference. Is there any way you can get the axles on the trailer weighed separately?

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

the trailer has the Wide Track axles so i might be able to split them across 2 pads on the Cat Scale..

I don't have any good, full on side picture of the rig but i can tell you the the truck and trailer look level. you can only tell the from is higher by measuring the frame to ground height.

20170407_100402.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

If I understand you right, you're pulling with a nose high attitude. I had that problem with a lifted ram and our NT. I added taller tires to the trailer and solved the issue.

i have though about that as well but not the most cost effective solution for an new TT..

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Personally I would be pretty happy with how level it is now. I am sure you have seen first hand how unlevel some folks tow. I think the deciding factor for me would be the difference in weight the axles themselves are carrying. Putting taller tires on is not really a bad idea if you can do it. You will certainly be able to find a better tire than OEM, I would hope anyway.

MP_CS

I wouldn't worry about it, i towed my fiver about 4" nose high for three years and never had an issue. If you were 15k lbs I'd be alittle more concerned but probably the only thing you may notice is some mild irregular tire wear.