help

RkJohnson

ok i just bought a 2011 heartland trail runner 26fqb and i ran a circuit from house panel to 30amp rv disconnect so i could plug up at home well i made the mistake of wiring it for 220 not 110 pluged it in heard a pop found to 40amp fusses blown re-wired for 110 changed fusses everything worked went camping pluged up to campgrounds power nothing worked but microwave display noticed fusses were blown again changed those nothing worked found battery was dead jumped it off my truck everything worked went bought new battery got me through the weekend got home checked battery level gauge said it was low also notice the 40amp fusses were blown again camper wont charge battery any idea of what the part is i could of fried by putting the wrong voltage to it???

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, that could be a problem. But if it will make you feel better, there are more than a few people that have done the same thing.
You mentioned 40 amp fuses. Where did these fuses come from? You have a 30 amp system.
There are a few things that you can do.
Unplug your converter from the coach. Then using an extension cord plug it into a know good source. If you blow a fuse or trip a breaker, that would be a good indication that the converter is fried.
Do the same thing with all of the 120 appliances and TV's.
I would also check the wire connections at the breaker panel. You will have to remove it to do that, as well as disconnecting from shore power before you do that.
What has me baffled is that the problem is now intermittent.
Another suggestion is to turn off all of the 120 breakers and then turn them on one at a time.
Let us know what you finally find and how you fixed it.

Peace
Dave

RkJohnson

they are two orange 40amp fusses on same board beside all the 15amp blue appliance fusses and thanks ill try doing the following

danemayer

Hi RkJohnson,

As Cookie said, you wouldn't be the first person to plug into a 220V outlet. Usually doing so fries some of the 110V devices. I'm guessing the 40 amp fuses you're blowing are the output of the Power Converter to the battery. If the fuses keep getting blown, even now that you're plugged into 110V AC, that would suggest you damaged the Power Converter. The blown fuses would prevent the battery from getting charged as well.

It's possible you might have other devices that are also damaged, or perhaps have weakened components on the power supplies from having 220V applied. Unfortunately, even if everything else is working now, you may experience other failures in the future.

I don't know which Power Converter you have, but if the 40 amp fuses are next to the 15 amps fuses, it sounds like a combined fuse box / Power Converter. There's probably a manufacturer name and model number somewhere on it.

RkJohnson

12v let me ask you guys this when pluged into my truck shouldnt that charge the battery could i hook up to truck and see if the converter fan ever comes on and keep checking the battery gauge also when i was camping and went to walmart and bought new battery everything worked 110v and 12v radio fridge ac lights microwave outlets bath fan oven fan tv ect.

RkJohnson

they are 12v let me ask this when im pluged up to truck shouldnt that charged the batt if i plug up to truck and watch to see if the converter fan turns on and check the battery meter would that tell me if converter is bad?

danemayer

they are 12v let me ask this when im pluged up to truck shouldnt that charged the batt if i plug up to truck and watch to see if the converter fan turns on and check the battery meter would that tell me if converter is bad?

The truck will charge the battery very slowly, if the truck is correctly configured. The converter fans should run if you're plugged into shore power. They don't run from the truck. If you put a voltmeter on the battery while plugged into shore power, and the converter is working (truck disconnected), you should see around 13.6 volts. If the converter is not working, you'll likely see something close to 12V.

RkJohnson

yea i have camper pluged in but not hooked to truck and reading 0 volts i got the battery on charger now to re test when its charged

- - - Updated - - -

thank you all so much for helping me i found a converter for $120 not bad considering the damage i could of caused