Hitches are Heavy - How to Routinely Install/Remove????

BearDog33

I have a winch installed in the ceiling of my garage that I use to install and remove my hitch. The hitch cost me $100 plus two 4x6s and a steel piece of 4inch pipe to install it. I keep the hitch on a cart and push it under the front of my 5th wheel when not in use. It helps a lot.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would unpin the head from the base, carry it to the tailgate and then carry it into the garage. Then unpin the base from the rails and do the same. In the garage, the head went back on the base and all pins and retainers went into a small coffee can set on top. Mine was a Reese 16K hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

centerline

I modified my hitch so that its in in 3 components... the "spider" that fits the pucks, the body of the hitch assembly, and the hitch plate itself... no.part is over 70lbs by itself and can be taken apart by removing 6 pins/keepers...

But leaving it attached to the pin box is a good option also...

chiefneon

Howdy!

I haven't seen anyone mention using a Reece GooseBox. When I purchased a new truck a couple of years ago I decided to make use of the
gooseneck it came with.I replaced my 5er pin box with a 20,000lb Reece Goosebox. It is the only gooseneck option that does not void your warranty. The GB has airbag and shocks that really help with the towing ride.'ve been very pleased with the GB and see no reason to go back to a 5er hitch.Thgreat part is you have now issues having to remove a large 5er hitch and you can always make use of you truck bed

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Reese/RP94720.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAkJKCBhAyEiwAKQBCkl6OOmrApQqFbUqaDSWdDbfC9TvfpfzB_ZWS05SmjhcoYjkUnE2xixoCrHUQAvD_BwE

Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

Oregon_Camper

I can take our B&W hitch out in under 3 mins. Top comes off...then turn 4 handles connecting bottom section (via the "puck" system).

I can do this myself, but I typically ask my wife to help with the lower section, as it need to come straight up to pop out of pucks.

jbeletti

+1 on a Harbor Freight electric winch in the garage. I mount mine on the header above the overhead door, back the truck bed into the garage, lower the winch line hook and connect to straps that I've slung under the hitch. Pull it up a few inches with the winch and drive the truck out. Lower the hitch onto a 4-wheel furniture moving dolly.

Pictures: https://beletti.smugmug.com/Home/Weatherford-TX/Garage/Winch/

JohnU

I'm not a full-timer, so I haven't really had an instance where we've needed to remove the hitch while on a trip (typically weekends away), but frequently remove the hitch when we return home to use the truck for other things. All that being said, my method won't fit everyone, and requires a pretty expensive initial CAPEX, but it is pretty fun...

IMG_5637.JPG

Oregon_Camper

I'm not a full-timer, so I haven't really had an instance where we've needed to remove the hitch while on a trip (typically weekends away), but frequently remove the hitch when we return home to use the truck for other things. All that being said, my method won't fit everyone, and requires a pretty expensive initial CAPEX, but it is pretty fun...

View attachment 65181

Hey...I bought my 1025R last summer and never even thought about using that for the RV hitch. Now...do I use the forks or backhoe??? :confused:

Decisions...decisions... decisions... :)

Capture2222222222222222.JPG

WBG

WBGavin
What have people done to routinely install/remove their hitches so that we can have a clean bed?

That much weight is too much for me.

I purchased a shop hoist from Harbor Freight for about $168. I have a 6' 8" bed which allows the boom to extend over the hitch. Once the pins are pulled, attach the hoist with lifting straps and just lift it out. One person job. Easy.

porthole

Retired
When I had a Superglide (250 pounds) and a 2500 GMC I mounted a winch on the ceiling of the garage.
Worked great until I bought a DRW that didn't fit in the garage.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...re-heavy?highlight=pullrite+hitches+are+heavy

So with the F-350 DRW I bought a HF truck bed winch and a HF electric winch.
Worked great until I bought a F-450 with an aluminum bed.

https://heartlandowners.org/showthr...rane-winch-etc?p=412355&viewfull=1#post412355

And we moved.
I took the ceiling winch and mounting bracket with me with me with the thoughts of mounting it in the new garage which the truck can at least back into to remove the hitch. Two things popped up, the winch stopped working after sitting in storage 10 months and my welded angle iron/pipe combo is not something I can lift up to the new garage ceiling. Too heavy and awkward. And I built it for 16" rafters, new house has 24" rafters.

Hitch needed to come out for yard work - Tractor Supply chain fall for $90, some webbing and a convenient tree.

Last edited:

Oldelevatorman

At some point I’ll have to put my B&W Companion hitch in the garage. But I have a small SUV, golf cart, Washer & Dryer, fridge & freezer and various large fused glass work tables and two recumbent trikes in the way so not much floor space. The LM is stored 5 minutes away outside and the hitch is underneath it chained to the frame. I can get it out by myself. Once I take the top section off, pull the rod out, lift it up and walk it to the tailgate and let it drop to the ground on one corner, about 18” and walk it to the trailer and slide it underneath. And then I go home and tell my wife I had help, piece of cake. An Anderson hitch would be nice though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTPockets

I’ve just let mine hang from the pin box.... easy Peazy.... pull the pins, or release the pucks, depending on how yours is secured to the truck bed, then raise the nose and drive away... no extra equipment, no strain, no pain... done it many times. If you need to, you can also lock it up to prevent theft.

carl.swoyer

I’ve just let mine hang from the pin box.... easy Peazy.... pull the pins, or release the pucks, depending on how yours is secured to the truck bed, then raise the nose and drive away... no extra equipment, no strain, no pain... done it many times. If you need to, you can also lock it up to prevent theft.
I do the same thing . Pull the pins and raise the hydraulics

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk