HL Towing capability

danrn2500

I have seen many of the HL's with a small receiver attached. I believe it is rated at 1500 pounds. I would like to have the capability to tow 2500 pounds (my motorcycle and trailer. Would it be OK to up the receiver to 2500 pound capability?
Thanks,
Dan

danemayer

The only receiver that's been shipped by Heartland is a 1-1/4" receiver intended to carry a couple of bicycles. There's no support for towing anything with this receiver.

Some people have constructed stronger 2" receivers on their own and attached them to their frames. Maybe someone will weigh in with what they've done and what they're towing.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I have seen many of the HL's with a small receiver attached. I believe it is rated at 1500 pounds. I would like to have the capability to tow 2500 pounds (my motorcycle and trailer. Would it be OK to up the receiver to 2500 pound capability?
Thanks,
Dan

A friend of ours fabricated a dual 2" hitch and modified a Swivel Wheel trailer in the same manner so he has two hitch points. He has been towing a golf cart for at least five years with no problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jbeletti

I have seen many of the HL's with a small receiver attached. I believe it is rated at 1500 pounds...

Dan - I think the Heartland 1-1/4" receiver is 150# max and I wouldn't even put that much on it.

As Dan and Gus have mentioned, many owners have gone to welder/fabricators to have some beefy receivers made. Most just want a safer receiver for use with a bike hitch. Others want something even beefier for adding platforms and towing small trailers.

Heartland can never recommend towing anything behind their RVs but many have done so. With regard to your need to tow a 2500# trailer, you'd want most of that weight to be carried by the axles of that towed trailer and very little of that weight being carried by the RV frame.

Take your RV to a professional with your towing requirements to see if they feel they can design, fabricate and install a receiver to the RV frame that is up to the task. The risk will be all yours. Wishing you the best and please update this thread with what you end up doing and how it works out towing.

Edit: Corrected receiver rating

Last edited:

pegmikef

Dan - I think the Heartland 1-1/4" receiver is more like 500# max and I wouldn't even put that much on it.

Jim, the factory installed one is actually 150 pounds max and is so labeled right on the receiver. I have one and I only use it for my flag pole.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I see several issue that might be a negative. Does your state allow double towing. How close are to your GCVW now. Adding 2500# adds to that. With your 5er axles positioned where they are. You will have a bad "tetter totter" effect going over bumps and dips on any road. This is to say...when the front of the 5er goes down, the motion will throw with some force the front of the 2nd trailer up. That will put alot strain on the hitch and anything on said trailer and at any higher speed could be bad. If it is a short narrow trailer, it will be very hard to see and back it up. Things to ponder....JMHO

BobX2

I pull 3,000 lbs. behind mine. Tongue weight scaled right at 270 lb. No problems at all pulling. You can't tell anything is back there and it tracks right in the 5th wheel tracks when turning. 60' nose to tail.