Hope they did not have too much damage

david-steph2018

We were traveling south on I-71 in Ohio at the 69 mile marker. When we reached the rest stop at the 67 MM I seen a Sanibel sitting in the parking area. We were traveling around 65 MPH. This Sanibel caught up and passed us at around the 43 MM, about 25 miles later. They went around us probably going at least 70 mph or even faster. When they were going around I was asking Steph why run like that? No sooner then I asked that did their left rear tire blow. They were probably 25 yards in front of us when the tire blew out.

Tread and fiberglass went everywhere. Semis were next to us, slowing down quickly and I hit the brakes, turned on the emergency flasher and avoided tire and camper pieces on the road. Luckily they threw the tread quickly so it would not beat the RV too much, and did not hit anybody with the tread. They got off the road quickly, but had some damage to the side and fiberglass to the camper.

We could not stop due to the traffic and no room to pull off safely. The new disc brakes did a great job getting us slow enough to avoid the pieces and them until they cleared the roadway.

I just hope they did not suffer to much damage, but it looked nasty.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
People pulling all kinds of campers have passed us like we were standing still many times during the years. I am amazed that more are not wrecked/damaged than are. We also travel around 65 mph when pulling and have had only 1 blow-out over the years. Hope our luck states that way but we are also very conscious about checking tires regular and having them balanced yearly.

ps - glad ya'll didn't get any damage

MCTalley

We passed a fifth wheel on the side of the road this summer. Roadside assistance was helping them change a blowout. It was just short of a rest area where we got off and ate lunch.

Driving down the road about 30 minutes later, same RV passes us probably doing 75-80. Pretty big chunk of j-wrap all crinkled up on the side, rear tire was the spare (white steel rim instead of aluminum).

30 more minutes or so, they're sitting on the side of the road with a flat on the same side, other axle. We had to swerve around some of their blown tire just before we passed them.