Hot Water Doesn't Last

Lloyd's

Hey folks!
We just got a 2018 Mallard IDM33 at the end of last year. When I winterized it and blew out my lines, a bunch of weird white crap shot out of my water heater when I pulled the plug. Never used the water heater last year, but when we just tried to use it last weekend the water runs out within minutes of turning warm. Any ideas, tips or tricks for me?
Thanks!

wdk450

Get a RV water heater flusher wand and flush it out. You will probably be surprised at all the stuff you get.

RV Water Heater Flusher Wand.jpg

Bogie

The white material is from the sacrificial anode. Probably magnesium oxide. This is normal. Just blow as much out as possible each time you drain the water heater and replace the anode (plug) when it's deteriorated. As for the the hot water going cold quickly, make sure that the outdoor shower valves are turned off. If left open, the cold water can mix to the hot side through the valve affect hot water delivery.

Lloyd's

The white material is from the sacrificial anode. Probably magnesium oxide. This is normal. Just blow as much out as possible each time you drain the water heater and replace the anode (plug) when it's deteriorated. As for the the hot water going cold quickly, make sure that the outdoor shower valves are turned off. If left open, the cold water can mix to the hot side through the valve affect hot water delivery.
Perfect! Thank you!

taskswap

This, plus the same for the bypass valve on the water heater itself. You should find a valve on a short vertical pipe between the bottom/inlet/cold side of the unit and the top/outlet/hot side. Make sure that's turned off. It's an easy step to miss when de-winterizing especially in rigs where you can't easily see/access the back of the HWH.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
You might want to check the heater element, too. If it’s encrusted with hard mineral deposits (also white), it may not be transferring enough heat to the water. If it passes the conductivity test, you can clean the crud off by immersing the element in white vinegar for a while. Do not immerse the threaded end, though. Or buy a new one and clean the old one for a spare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

david-steph2018

Hey folks!
We just got a 2018 Mallard IDM33 at the end of last year. When I winterized it and blew out my lines, a bunch of weird white crap shot out of my water heater when I pulled the plug. Never used the water heater last year, but when we just tried to use it last weekend the water runs out within minutes of turning warm. Any ideas, tips or tricks for me?
Thanks!
Also check and make sure the outside shower valves are off, not just the push button, but turn the valves off. If the valves are on, it allows the water to mix, cooling the hot water.